1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoos- tips and advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LogicNoSense, Feb 17, 2016.

1. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been entertaining the thought of getting a tattoo. I've asked around, but their answers are pretty jumbled up. Say, if I were to get a palm-sized black-and-white tat on my upper back and I have low to med pain tolerance, is it gonna be super painful? Someone told me that it was like having your blood drawn for a donation, but the pain lasts till the tat heals. ._.

Besides the eat and sleep well a few days before the tat and taking care of it after it's done, any advice? I'm thinking of holding it till I'm of legal age- slightly after mid next year- and if I still wanna get a tat, maybe I will. Any personal stories of people with tattoos is also helpful!

2. EnchanterForest

I want to the same thing, but I am currently to young. I don't what to do, except for some anti-septic or something?

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always difficult to say because pain thresholds vary greatly.

I can say the upper back is around the middle on the pain scale, maybe slightly leaning more painful. For me, that scale ranges from "really can't even feel it" (upper arms) to a point where I was biting my own hand to try and "distract" my pain receptors (foot and mid breastplate). Upper back was enough to make me cringe somewhat, but I didn't have to bite down on anything to stay still.

You could have it worse or be better - won't know until you get one. For people that are super afraid of the pain I recommend getting their first on the upper arm, since it's one of the least painful spots. I concur on the eat and sleep well advice - I got one on 3 hours sleep in 48 hours, and that hurt way more than usual.

tl;dr version though - if you want one bad enough it's all worth it and you may as well not worry about it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Browncoat said. A lot of that depends on your pain threshold, since some people have a higher pain tolerance than other, and placement can also be an issue--since some areas of your body are more packed with nerves and your skin is thinner.

Here's a standard pain chart for reference (but again, your pain tolerance is something to take into account):

[​IMG]

I know for me, when I got my first tattoo, it was only mild irritation for me--feeling kind of like a small cat scratch (and that was on my wrist), which said pain chart says is one of the spots where you might experience a lot of discomfort. The pain, for me, didn't last until I healed. At the very least, the scratch type of feel only lasted a few hours before it went away. Again, that's just my experience.

One piece of advice I want to offer (aside from making sure you don't go in on an empty stomach) is to try not to think about the idea of pain so much, as hard as that might be. You could end up psyching yourself out and then create imaginary pain for yourself. So try to be as calm and cool as you can. If it helps, listen to music or see if it's possible to bring a friend back with you to hold your hand. I'm pretty sure your tattoo artist wouldn't mind.

#4 Daydreamer1, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I've never understood the charts that list wrists as "very painful," since mine were middling at worst, especially compared to my feet and sternum/breastplate (and apparently neck, though I haven't gotten one there). But heh, even that can vary from person to person.

Speaking specifically to this, by the way --- I actually think comparing it to a blood draw is a poor comparison. Shots/blood draws are way more deep than tattoos, which are essentially surface wounds. I think a better comparison would be to poke yourself with a pen, then imagine it quickly and constantly poking you (though it'll be varying levels of pain depending on what part of the body you're doing).

And then afterward, waiting for the tattoo to heal - I'd describe it as a scrape healing. That's what it feels like - merely annoying in my mind, but like we've said, it depends a lot on your personal pain threshold.

#5 Browncoat, Feb 17, 2016
  6. Lipstick Leuger

My lower back tattoo was the MOST painful one I have ever had, but the one on the top of my foot was not bad at all. It stung a little bit. I have a 4 hours piece on my shoulder and that was the least painful of them all. It did hurt more towards my spine than anywhere else.

I would have to say, clean your new ink with antibacterial soap and cover with a thin layer of A and D ointment. The first night, wear a t-shirt to bed, because you may lean more plasma and some blood than you think, and you will awaken stuck tight to your sheets in the morning. I had that piece on my shoulder and my wife told me to wear a shirt. I was glad because the next day it was stuck over my tattoo. She had to get it wet in the shower to soak it loose from my skin so I could get it off without damage to my skin or pain. Do not let anyone ever touch your new ink! That is how you get staff infections, I had a friend have an issue with this. Always wear sunscreen over it also if you are not covered up, after it heals of course, because the sun will fade it. Most importantly, never scratch or itch it or remove the scabs. Let them come off naturally, it will itch like crazy, but that just means it is healing up.

7. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Everyone's pain tolerance is different but there are some spots on the body that are known to be super painful. For example the lower back, ribs, the chest or clavicle, fingers tend to hurt more....Pretty much anywhere close to the bone is going to have a higher pain level. Some tattoo artists won't let you get a tattoo in those spots if you've never had one done. Only because you're not used to getting a tattoo, so you're more likely to pass out or something like that.

When I got my tattoos done it felt sort of like a cat scratching you constantly as if you're some sort of scratching post. If you get one on your arm cover it in plastic wrap during the peeling process because certain materials are hard to wear and might scratch the skin off. You DO NOT WANT TO SCRATCH THE TATTOO! In the end it'll all be worth it. Check this link out on how to properly heal your new tattoo. It works really well and all mine have healed successfully.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvVROM3-Af4

Side note: This isn't the case for everyone but it might start to itch after months of having it done. Even if it's healed and you took care of it really well. If you do happen to start itching.....see if there is an eruption of some sorts. If you feel lines, for instance, it could be the tattoo is scarred in those areas and could be pulling a bit causing soreness. If this is the case, maybe try some of those over the counter pads for flattening scars. Itching now and then happens to some, not everyone.

#7 state-champs, Feb 17, 2016
  8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About the design: Print out a picture of it and keep it somewhere where you'd see it everyday. If you still like it by the time you plan of getting it permanently inked onto your body, then go for it. Even though it would be in a spot where you won't really see it unless you look in a mirror... I have 3 tattoos, and my first one was a matter of paging through the tattoo artist's file and picking one. I was naïve at the time, and just thought about getting tattooed. I won't say I regret it, but I have gone through stages where I really wanted to have it covered up, I just don't know what design I want.

With my other two tattoos, I did the picture print thing, and I don't regret either of them. My first tattoo is on my ankle, my second one on my back/shoulder blade and my third one is on my inner forearm.

As for pain: The more bony the area, the more it would hurt. That's just my experience. I hardly felt anything with my arm tattoo, but the ankle and shoulder blade tattoos were a different story. If I have to rate the pain I felt out of 10, I'd give it a 6, compared to the arm tattoo, which I'd say was about a 1.5. But that's just my experience, it varies from person to person, and some will say it doesn't hurt at all, while others will say it hurt a whole lot. You say you have low-medium pain tolerance, so I'd advise you to rethink the placement. The ribs, back, ankle, foot and wrists are among the more painful areas to get tattooed, and not advisable for someone with low pain tolerance. And just remember that the larger the piece, the longer you'll have to endure the pain. I'm not sure how long my tattoos took to complete, but definitely not less than 30 minutes to an hour.

I'm not telling you this to scare you or put you off of getting inked, I'm just sharing my experiences with you. Just remember that you ARE allowed to ask the artist to stop for a minute and continue a minute or two later, so it's not like you're going to constantly feel the needles penetrating your skin. You are in control, it's YOUR body and if you feel you need a break then don't be shy about it. My sister and I got our first tattoos together, and she doesn't have a very high pain tolerance level either, and the artist picked up on it and gave her a minute or two break before she continued. So that's not something to fear.

Don't drink alcohol before getting tattooed because alcohol makes you bleed more, which would ultimately ruin the tattoo (All the ink gets bled back out). And make sure that you eat well before the time, and drink some Coke or another high-sugar drink to get your blood sugar level up, which might assist you in not feeling faint during the inking.

Right, aftercare instructions vary from artist to artist. Some recommend non-greasy lotion, others recommend ointments, and another artist will recommend something like Vaseline, to be applied frequently to keep the tat from drying out. For my first tattoo, I applied non-greasy lotion once to twice daily, and that was enough. For the second one, I applied regular lotion once daily and it turned out fine. For my third one, I applied Vaseline frequently and it, too, turned out well. But your artist will tell you how to care for your tattoo. I think placement also plays a big role.

Aaand scabbing and general healing: NEVER pick the scabs! Let them fall off by themselves (If there are any). And don't freak out if some inked skin comes off, it's not your tattoo that's losing its ink, it's just part of the healing process. If I'm not mistaken, it's just the top layer of skin, which is nothing to worry about because your tattoo is injected deeper into your skin. Avoid soaking your tattoo (Like don't lie down in a bath of water, don't swim, only wash your tattoo gently by applying some soap to your hand and gently rubbing over it to clean any possible dirt). The major part of after-care is for the first two weeks after getting inked. Also don't expose it to direct sunlight, as it may get damaged should you get sunburnt for example. But your artist should tell you all of this anyway.

:eusa_thin I think that's about it. Someone else might have something else to add, but that's what I can think of at the moment. Enjoy every second of your tattoo! :thumbsup:

9. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all the advice! Though I'd admit the prospect of the pain during the inking does make me cringe, I may just stick to getting a tat. Because it's on my back, it's inconvinient- one of the major turnoffs for me, especially with what so many of you said XD

Though, I think I'll follow VelvetBlade's advice- bringing a picture of it everywhere. And thanks to DayDreamer1 too- I never actually thought of googling a pain chart XD

Also, about the blood draw thing, I forgot to mention- I go through quite a few blood tests, where they draw blood from the joint above your elbow- although it's not exactly for blood donations, for people who have taken blood tests and have a tat, what's the difference in terms of pain?

And also, despite the bicep being the least painful, I'd rather do my back because of work = = in SG if you have an obvious tat it's frowned upon = =

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had blood work done several times as I had a problem with iron for a number of years, and I'll just say I'd rather have a tattoo done than blood work...Lol. I have two tattoos, one on my left wrist and one on my right arm. Arms I don't think are all that painful but I've gotten pretty accustomed to pain. It honestly doesn't hurt all that much. It feels like you're being scratched by a cat at a million miles a minute lol. But then again, it does depend where you get it. I don't think your back will hurt all that much. I mean, bear in mind, if tattoos did hurt that much, I don't think so many people would get them lol.
    I will say though, I know you're kind of young right now and I'm not entirely sure what legal age is there, but do not drink alcohol before, during, or after getting a tattoo. It thins out your blood and you will bleed a lot more. Just a piece of advice for you for the future.

Now getting the tattoo itself, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I can't stress this enough. Make sure you look up good, clean tattoo parlours. Really good ones may be a little more expensive but at least you're getting the quality and making sure you are not going to be exposed to any infections/diseases from unsanitzed equipment or used needles. I got my first tattoo done at this one place, and two weeks after the place shut down :/ The tattoo was fine and I didn't get anything, but it was still a little sketchy...Lol. Some really good tattoo parlours will do consultations with you. So I would print out the design you want as this your first time and go in and tell/show them what you want and they'll tell you how much it'll be and stuff like that. But you won't get the tattoo that day. They'll tell you to come back for your appointment in a couple days. When you're there, they may do a print of your design in pen and place it on your skin so that you can see it before they ink it and you can tell them if you want it moved somewhere else or a little bit bigger or smaller and what not. Then you get inked up lol.

It really isn't all that bad :slight_smile: Just make sure you do your research before hand and when you get it, don't be afraid to talk to the tattoo artist and make sure that everything is just the way you want it before they do the tattoo. You may feel like you're being annoying but trust me, they want to make sure you don't regret anything and that everything is perfect just as much as you lol.

Hope that helped a little...Lol

11. Mikelhpc228

I use 5% lidocaine topical cream before getting tattoos (available on line or at Tattoo shops), and a couple of tylenols. It doesnt entirely eliminate pain, but it does help, especially for long sittings. After tattoo for first 48hrs apply ice packs to area for 20min at a time reduces swelling, aids healing, eases pain.

12. Lipstick Leuger

I did forget to say that the itching after a tatt only lasts for a week or maybe 10 days at most. I am glad state champs brought up the itch after a month or so, that is not a good thing, it could even be a reaction to the ink.

13. ReneWright

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest you wait until you are of legal age if you want to have a tattoo. And also, getting a tattoo is not like getting a blood drawn out, it is getting poke by a needle many times. And it will hurt even more on body parts that are near bones and those with plenty of nerve endings. So, i suggest you think it over again.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you gotten your tattoo yet?

I've since gotten two more tattoos, three if you count the cover-up. With my cover-up and the other two, I used nipple cream (artist's recommendation). It's non-greasy, and moisturizes the tattoo without smothering it, like with Vaseline or similar products.

15. Fyrefox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've got tattoos on all of my limbs, and had far more pain inflicted in dental chairs and physician's offices than in tattoo studios. While pain thresholds vary greatly, the pain for something you want is more tolerable than pain for something you're not committed to...and as an arthritic impressionist artist once commented, the pain passes, the beauty endures...

16. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a chronic muscular pain disorder and I got a tattoo and it was very tolerable. That being said, it was small, and I was definitely feeling tired at the end of about 2 hours (it’s an arm band of flowers around my left bicep, with black, green, yellow, and white). It feels a bit like the initial pinch of getting a vaccination type shot, but it doesn’t continue to ache through the muscle, just like that little pinch or scrape over and over. Certain areas of your body will hurt more than others, the outside of my arm just felt like he was lightly scraping or pushing in my skin, while some parts on the inside felt more like a hard / sharp pinch, but for no more than a few seconds. It comes and goes and is definitely very tolerable because they stop and start a lot and are very methodical, and after about an hour you’ll actually start to feel relaxed because your body starts producing chemicals to numb the pain a bit, so I actually found it to be a really soothing experience. With what you have planned, it’ll definitely be a good and short and easy starter piece.

It’ll start to ache like hell about 8-12 hours after it’s done :^) easily the worst part of the whole experience hahah but it’s so worth it, if you start to feel it after you get home just be preemptive and take some Aleve and you’ll be fine.

The only things I’d say going in that I didn’t know is definitely bring an energy drink with you and some high protein + sugar snacks, and go in on a FULL meal. I went in only having eaten a yogurt and banana for breakfast and about an hour in I felt nauseous and the pain got sharper. But as soon as I ate a protein bar and some candy my artist gave me I was completely fine again like nothing had happened.

Another thing is, this is quite uncommon and rare but, there is a small possibility you can be allergic to some colors of tattoo ink. This happened to me unfortunately, every few days or so I get small hives under some of my tattoo and it itches like crazy. I got it about 5-6 months ago, and it’s definitely calmed down quite a bit, but it is a nuisance I think about often but it’s not severe enough for me to need the tattoo removed and is okay if I take allergy medication. Unfortunately there’s no way to test if this will happen to you, as all tattoo ink is made differently, but something I didn’t consider before I went is my family has a history of being allergic to many metals. My mother and one of my sisters can only wear yellow gold, titanium, and silver jewelry or else their piercings get red and irritated.. if this is the case with you, I’d be careful considering where you want to get the tattoo and the size as like an initial test, but if this isn’t the case with you I imagine you’ll be completely fine :slight_smile:

Honestly it’s a really fun experience and I really wish I could get a lot more of them if it weren’t for my allergies!