1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weddings.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by state-champs, Feb 18, 2016.

1. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok this is going to be a two part thread.

1. Do you want to get married some day? If not, please explain your reasoning.
    For me I'm not exactly sure at the moment. I know most people are sure they want to marry someone. But for me I think that marriage complicates things. I like the idea of commitment and loyalty to that person. I have no problems with that. However, I don't like that A) if I were to marry a man I'd have to change my last name. I quite like my last name a lot and don't want to change it or add a hyphen. B) Another reason why I don't like it is because what if that person ends up not wanting to be in my life anymore?

2. If you were to get married, what do you want your wedding to be like?
    Personally, I'd like a really big wedding with lots of family members and friends. It'll be at a vineyard, a beach or somewhere outside. I want my dress to be a non-traditional wedding dress. I've never liked the idea of a white dress and I'm super pale. So white will just make me look worse. I've also wanted a certain theme for my wedding, I always thought those were really cool. I'd probably want an Alice in Wonderland theme because I love tea parties.

Anyway, I'm interested in reading other people's thoughts and opinions for these two questions. :kiss:

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I am going to marry someone some day. Marriage to me is the ultimate commitment. You're making a vow to someone to dedicate your life to them, and to whatever family you might have together. It's a very serious matter.

Side note, you don't have to change your last name if you get married. You can keep yours without adding a hyphen, or your spouse can take yours. It's all up to what you two decide.

2. Traditional is fine by me. Note, when I say traditional, I mean traditional Scottish. I've got Scottish ancestry, and I love that part of my family and history. I've got a Great-Kilt in the Allison colours, and I have a large painting of the Coat of Arms. But yeah, friends and some family. There are those I don't get along with, who have never been kind to me. They will not be a part of this moment in my life.

3. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

1) Yes, and our parents know. We are going to get married AFTER I get a uterus, so it should be about 15 years away... (I'll be under 30 still).

2) A small simple affair with about 75 people attending.

4. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. No, I don't to get married, I never did. I just don't see the point? If I was genuinely commited to someone, marriage would add nothing to it. I understand why some people consider it important, I just personally don't. I'd consider to get married if I was with someone who really wanted to, it's just not exactly a wish of mine.

2. I don't have anything in particular in mind, I just know that if I were to get married it'd have to be a really small, simple ceremony. Like really small. Just thinking about getting married in front of a lot of people gives me anxiety.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1) If I get married, it will be to a close friend rather than a romantic partner. Love is fickle and can end where as friendships are far more likely to last a life time. What I see in marriage is the financial benefits: to be able to claim tax credits and so on and for this reason it is better to have a stable marriage than a love marriage. It might be a bit though to make the romantic partner to accept that I'm married to someone else though.

2) Just signing the document is enough for me.

6. AlamoCity

1. Do you want to get married some day? If not, please explain your reasoning.
    Yes, provided I find someone I actually really like and love and want to spend the rest of my life with, then yes. Marriage becomes a public commitment of one's union to another person and affords benefits and protections.

2. If you were to get married, what do you want your wedding to be like? My friend asked me how my wedding was gonna be and quickly answered his question and said my wedding was probably gonna take place in the Hill Country in an old barn with hay bales all around. Well, he kinda hit the nail on the head. I would like to blend the traditional with the casual/rustic. Probably just serve catered barbecue, white bread, creamed corn, beans, slaw and have plenty of lemonade, sweet tea and Shiner Bock. Of course, it would be funny if my spouse-to-be doesn't share my ideas. Can you imagine if I married a guy from Massachusetts that wanted clam chowder on the menu? I would totally run with a Civil War theme :lol:.

I am fond of seersucker suits and bow ties.
    [​IMG]

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I thought I was the only one who opted for just signing the document! :lol:

As for question 1: yeah, sure!

8. alonsy alonso

1) I would like to get married someday maybe in my 20s but i would want to be with person years before so i would know if they were the one.

2) I would actually want a clique wedding. I would want it at sunset/night either on the beach or in a grassy area. I would have my closest friends and family, my mum would be my maid of honour and i would have at least 3 bridesmaids. I would have a massive cake decorated with buttercream because i hate fondant. It would have an elegant but silly atmosphere to it so everyone could enjoy it.

9. scapaviella

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really the future-planning type? I'd get married if I found someone who I wanted to be with for the rest of my life, but it would be more likely to happen if they really wanted to be married. If I don't end up with anyone or we just never get round to marriage, I won't mind either. It's not really something I think about :')

If I had to plan a wedding, it would probably be an old-school elopement with a few witnesses somewhere really beautiful. I'm British-born Italian so probably somewhere over there.

10. EnchanterForest

1) It would depend, like I am too young now, but when I think about my future I don't imagine that I will get married until I am like 30 or something.

2) Maybe a gathering but if anything just a ring and signing the documents.

11. Rice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I would want to get married. With the right person at the right time, yes. But it is not so important to me - I think I would be happy knowing that someone loves me.

If I get married, it would be a small wedding. Would definitely have a church blessing after the legal stuff. Ideally just me and her and then a wedding reception afterwards. have never wanted a lot of people to see me get married, even when i thought about it with a man.

12. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Do you want to get married some day?

No.

Marriage is a sexist and misogynistic institution which is based on a father giving away ownership of his daughter to another man.

I dont believe in god.
    I dont believe that any woman should be treated like property.
    I dont believe that the state knowing that I love my partner makes that love any more special or valid.
    I dont like being the centre of attention for no real reason.

Its an outdated and pretty pointless institution.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Yes, I do want to get married. My girlfriend and I have casually discussed it a few times and often joke about it. I love her and I want to marry her. The only stipulation that I make is that I have to be fully out first. I won't ask her to be my wife in secret.

Who says you have to change your last name if you marry a man? Plenty of women choose to keep their maiden names.

2. Very small wedding. Immediate family (probably all hers, I doubt mine will be speaking to me) and close friends. We've talked about having it in a barn, The Proposal-style. I'll be wearing a wedding dress, may or may not be traditional depending on what I fall in love with. She doesn't like dresses so she'll be wearing a shirt and skirt.

14. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    1) Let me start first you don't have to take their name or hyphen yours they could just as easily take your last name. As for myself. I could go either way on marriage. I shouldn't have to buy some expensive ring and all this ceremony stuff to show that I care profussly for the person. I also hesitate with the whole divorcing and taking half my stuff. On the other hand it certainly is a way to show your commitment to somebody and your belief in the relationship. In the end would I get married sure do I feel the need to get married no.

2) the whole church things weirds me out since I'm no longer religious. I could be happy just going to the court house and having it done.

15. crazydiamond

1) I definitely want to get married someday. I have a girlfriend who I love very much. We've been together for over a year and we've talked seriously about marriage. She says she wants to be the one to propose, which I was happy about because the idea of proposing to someone terrifies me. I wouldn't want to do it too soon and get rejected. And, if I didn't hate my last name, I would probably hyphenate. But I'll most likely take her name.

2) I want it to be a smaller wedding. I always liked the idea of doing it outside, somewhere beautiful. I don't have very many friends or supportive family members anymore, and neither does my girlfriend so probably less than 50 people will be there. And I'm totally fine with that. There is a Japanese Museum and Garden here in Florida that does weddings and we talked about maybe doing it there. There's a big area for a reception as well. I could see us hand making decorations and centerpieces together. And I wouldn't wear one of those poofy wedding dresses. Probably something more along the lines of a sundress, with some flowers in my hair.

#15 crazydiamond, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  16. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would love to get married in a dress but it's not going to happen

17. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    personally i'm not into marriage nor formal events so is a two-O, i respect that other people likes it and believes in it but for me, marriage does not add anything special to that love between two people except possibly a material or social commitment, i'd say most likely the second one, if you don't feel you need to prove anything to social circles than you're fine by ditching a tradition

18. Jellal

1. No, I don't want to get married. I don't like the idea of having one person who I'm meant to be super committed to for the rest of my life. I prefer having lots of friends. Now, I'd be willing to try something unorthodox instead. I like living with other people, but that's just it, other people, not other "person." Committed group life is something I would jump for, but who else feels that way? Probably not too many people.

EDIT: I guess I'm saying I'd only get married if I wasn't the only bride!

2. In that case I wouldn't want much of my family at all to come. They're nice but judgmental and I don't think I'd want them somewhere that's supposed to be a happy occasion. My friends on the other hand I would extend an invitation to. Generally I'm not huge on parties filled with tons of people I don't know, but if it's someone else's family and not my own, then the pressure's off.

#18 Jellal, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't want to get married because I'm worried about getting bored. If I were too however get married I'd prefer to elope. :slight_smile:

20. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you want to get married some day? If not, please explain your reasoning.
    No. Reason No. 1 my family would want no parts of it. Reason No. 2 I feel like marriage is overrated.