1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Feb 20, 2016.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Threw in the random octopus for randomness.

Some people think it's not a thing . But in my own opinion on some of the forums I've been to in the past just straight up bash straight peeps. And some straight people just bash gay peeps.... like .. the marshmallow? Idk.

To me it seems like a thing.
    I think if we want love and acceptance we should show it. However that's hard to do when someone is screaming in your face that you're going to a dark abyss. Two dads shouldn't have kids. And lesbians are evil.... like... dafuq.XD

But no. Sorry I'll stop joking around now. Umm. So most of the forums I've been to jist to check out really. Ec is the only one I actually joined. Most of the gay guys on there bashed each other and straight people. I'm like.. dang... lesbians are pretty chill.. they don't cause drama. Well, none that I know of. They say straight people are pigs, straight sex is boring, straight people are gross.
    I'm over here like.... but- we also have straight allies who are educating other straight people on lgbt though.

My best friend got yelled at by a gay guy @ racetrac because she was talking about how hard it is to find a boyfriend....
    Although I'm getting to that point in my life where I can't get mad at people because I know their reasoning behind it.. I'm learning to let things go and to forgive.

2. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that if we truly want equality, everyone should learn to respect each other as individuals, LGBT or otherwise.

3. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yaassssss!!! XD I love this comment(!)(!)(!)

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It does exist; people who say it isn't probably just want to hide it until it becomes the norm to be heterophobic [which is just as bad as homophobic]. Just because they've gotten it better in the past, doesn't mean they can't have it worse in the future, if heterophobic people don't stop now.

#4 Secrets5, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  5. Phee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooh, I was thinking the exact same thing.
    What used to be arguing with homophobic people and trying to explain how stupid their words and acts are, is slowly becoming hateful and overly sarcastic relationship towards every straight person just because they're, well, straight. And straight is actually becoming considered as boring, even uneducated and ignorant among some LGBT+ people. Which is in fact very sad. Not the majority, off course, thanks god, but lots of our folks are acting exactly like a homophobic person would. With truly stupid excuses that make them hate us even more.

6. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know dozens of LGBT people and I never really experienced heterophobia. It's just as silly as homophobia.

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Breeders disgust me

Im obviously joking in case you didn't pick up on it

8. Yosia

You can't demand equality whilst treating others as inequal. That's the height of hypocrisy there.

9. I'm_Danni_x

Reverse prejudice is incoherent and disgusting just like prejudice towards minority groups is.

10. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People have amazing ability to create in groups and out groups and then fostering hatred, prejudice and contempt between the two. I would say it is a thing for sure but lacking any touch to the LGBT community outside the EC it's hard to say how prevalent it is.

There was a case of an openly lesbian dean in one of the universities here. She was forced to resign and no official reason was given. However, anonymous colleagues talked about that this woman had discriminated and bullied men and straight women at the department.

I have no trouble believing this because she had publicly called heterosexuality sickness and that everyone is in reality gay but in denial. She also took every opportunity to attack men (irrespective of sexual orientation) and call them vile creatures. It's so bizarre. For a very long time I thought she is just an elaborate troll but all those who knew her said she is in it for real.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2016 at 11:51 AM ----------

Oh, and BTW. I hate non-clinical words which end in -phobia. Homophobia has nothing to do with a phobia. A better word would be a bigot.

#10 Euler, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  11. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It happens. There was quite a lot of it in Queer As Folk (American version at least) from a few characters.

#11 Typhoon, Feb 21, 2016
  12. Kinky

Kinky Guest

this joke! :roflmao:

13. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think heterophobia might be a reaction to homophobia? I mean, if you've experienced homophobia, I think you're more likely to be contempt of heterosexuals or to despise them, thus to become prejudiced towards them. So.. I think it probably will be close to non-existent when heterosexuals and homosexuals are fully seen as equal socially and legally.

14. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I disagree with this notion. There is no reason to think why this would be the case. Humans have inbuilt mechanism for forming groups and feeling suspicion towards those who are not members of that group. Sure, not feeling accepted by the mainstream may contribute to this but I would not call it the cause.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Obviously literal heterophobia, that is, a fear of the unknown directed toward heterosexual individuals, does exist.

However.

It's too damn easy to look at criticism, whether that be angry or levelled, foul-mouthed or professional, of the heteronormative hegemonic society we live in, and just discard that as "heterophobia". We're constantly oppressed and put down on by the heterosexual population. Sometimes we bite back, and we're dawn well entitled to a lot of the time.

16. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Could you give me one example how the Swedish society is constantly oppressing and putting down the LGBT community?

17. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    But if heterosexuals and homosexuals would be treated completely equally, do you think that people would feel a need to form heterosexual and homosexual groups that are conflicted with one another? Sure, there will always be LGBT groups for LGBT people in particular to seek out one another, but being a member of such a group doesn't necessarily cause heterophobia or whatever. I think that heterophobia/homophobia can be caused by significantly dividing the hetero and homo world in a way that causes heterosexual and homosexual people to barely mingle. Homosexuals are raised among heterosexuals and are often part of groups besides the LGBT community (a group of friends for example) that consist out of heterosexuals, too. So heterosexuals are likely to be members of some group where homosexuals also belong to which can still cause them to feel connected to heterosexuals instead of disconnected to them despite their different sexuality. I don't think that an 'us versus them' mentality will exist between homosexual and heterosexual individuals when sexuality isn't treated as an important characteristic on which you should divide people into groups that significantly differ from one another.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2016 at 03:00 PM ----------

^ I would like to add to my other post that I don't just think that it is important for homosexuals and heterosexuals to mingle to decrease heterophobia and homophobia (because they do that (sometimes unknowingly) in homophobic countries that create conflict between homosexuals and heterosexuals as well, at schools for example). To avoid creating a division between homosexuals and heterosexuals, I believe it is also important that both groups accept each other's sexuality and sexual expression fully.

18. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All I'm saying is that this kind of polarity extends to many walks of life be their football fan clubs or musical genres. There is little evidence to suggest that heterophobia is response to homophobia. However, there is plenty of evidence that people tend to form groups and would like to stick with their groups and this all happens naturally. Also, bear in mind that either phobia is a marginal phenomenon in the west. We should see more heterophobia in more homophobic countries but there is not even anecdotal evidence to suggest this. Actually I think it might be the other way around.

#18 Euler, Feb 21, 2016
  19. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to disagree. If you ''bite back'' at someone who has never been homophobic in their life, experiencing heterophobia from a homosexual person could cause them to be homophobic. Then it won't help anyone. I don't think anyone is entitled to abuse/be abused anyone due to things they can't choose ... seriously, what kind of world do you want to create? One that's homonormative and it's okay to abuse heterosexuals? Heterophobia, whether you think it's okay to be heterophobic or not due to the normative we live in, is still heterophobic and can hurt people.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2016 at 06:59 AM ----------

It always starts out as a joke ... [then it becomes real]. If you don't believe me, look at women. Calling men ''stupid'' as a joke, well, that's hurtful.

#19 Secrets5, Feb 21, 2016
  20. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know, I live in The Netherlands and my country is barely homophobic. I have a lot of LGBT people in my social circle and none of them are heterophobic basically, a lot actually think it is pretty silly to be because it shouldn't matter what your sexuality is. Homosexuality is accepted by most and heterosexuals and homosexuals mingle a lot. My LGBT group is accessible for heterosexuals as well and actually has some pretty active, well-respected heterosexual members. There is not really an 'us versus them' mentality basically. So, based on my own experience, I think less homophobia equals less heterophobia. Also, I think it might be so that there might not be much heterophobia witnessed in more homophobic countries because, well, it might be dangerous to be openly heterophobic there because heterosexuality might be seen as the only accepted sexuality. Being heterophobic in a more homophobic country (or showing any sign that might give a way that you are a LGBT person) therefore could put you into harm's way or it might even get you killed/imprisoned. So in homophobic countries there might be more heterophobia but it might not be expressed publicly as much as in less homophobic countries and that would make it seem less prevalent. In less homophobic countries, expressing heterophobia isn't as potentially dangerous after all. I also think that being oppressed by homophobia could cause you to have a serious grudge against heterosexuals who face no oppression.

#20 Loveislife, Feb 21, 2016