1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK-US political parallels

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryu, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Well I was gonna put this in the Bernie Sanders thread in the news thing because I have no Idea who he is, but this came into my head so... Tada!

So who do you think the (not perfect but close enough) parallels are in the candidates for the upcoming election in America would in the UK's party leaders (because they've changed since the last election). The obvious one would be Nigel Farage - Donald trump, but there has to be others right? This should also give an idea as to who's who on both sides of the pond 'cos I haven't got a clue who's running for president, but I have a fairly good idea of party leaders here, so... Learn something every day, right?

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #2 Robert, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jeremy Corybn and Bernie Sanders appear very similar. Corybn in reality is probably way to the left of Sanders but fairly similar to Angela Merkel - so in a European sense neither are particularly left wing at all. I think the British political centre has shifted to the right over the past 30 years, even if people's opinions have become more progressive and liberal. I think Sanders actually has a bigger chance of being the next US president than Corybn has being the next British Prime Minister.

Nigel Farage is nowhere near as outrageous as Donald Trump. In fact, I don't think he is outrageous at all. Nick Griffin was outrageous - well, more nasty and racist than outrageous. OTOH, I don't think Nigel Farage is racist, and certainly not evil. UKIP are probably more left-wing than the Conservatives - immigration excluded. They support cannabis legalisation, extra funding for the NHS and electoral reform - all of which the Tories oppose greatly. Nigel Farage has never suggested banning all Muslims or erecting a large fence between the UK and France anyway.

Cameron is probably most similar to Clinton. Both are nobheads.

#3 imnotreallysure, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  4. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

In the UK you have 4 major parties - the UKIP, Conservative, Liberal and Labor - while America has 1 major party that acts like two. What I mean is that the Republicans in the leadership in Washington would rather fight the conservative Republicans than the Democrats. Donald Trump will be the one to tell both parties to stick it. My parents like him, so does my boyfriend's mom.
    If Donald Trump wins, I think you'll see a power shift back to the states instead of in Washington...

5. angrysolider

angrysolider Guest

UKIP = Tea Party
    Conservatives = Democrats
    Labour = ?? (left of Sanders)
    Liberals = ????
    Green = ???????????

The Republicans have no equal. The christian parties in Europe are all center.

Trump is right of UKIP. I support his policies on immigration (partially) and islam but I'm still unsure about whether he's got what it takes to run the country. I think the liberal parties need to stop being so pro-muslim.