1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Crying Lower Your Opinion of Somebody?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Plattyrex, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Plattyrex

I had a little outburst where I started crying at school and my mom had to come pick me up. I notice that while everyone is being super nice to me, I tend to get treated like a baby now. I want to know if crying makes you think less or different of a person. Please be honest, as everyone is judgmental sometimes and it can't really be helped if you feel this way. I know most people will probably say it doesn't, but based on my experience I would say for most people it does whether they are consciously aware of it or not.

2. Ryu

Ryu

Yes. It does.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the reason. In your case I don't know the reason so I can't judge (though I'm rather doubting that I can blame you).

4. NonsenseSpeaker

I think seeing someone crying makes you think differently and act differently towards another person. However they way they think and act varies between from person to person and what kind of relationship you have with them.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really - though I'll be honest and say that I can be impatient with people who cry really easily and often find myself rolling my eyes if a person starts bawling over something I consider minor or irrelevant. I try to be sympathetic though - and wouldn't want to upset them any further.

I think that largely stems from me hardly ever crying, and if I ever do cry, I do so in private. Not because I find it embarrassing or degrading - I just don't want people pitying me, or treating me differently. I especially don't want people to think that I'm trying to get attention or trying to make people feel sorry for me.

#5 imnotreallysure, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)

No, it makes me want to hug them and make them feel better. It can be seen as a sign that you are sensitive. If you cry in a public setting, others do tend to become concerned because it is a sign that you are in a lot of pain and might be going through a lot.

In my eyes, it can be immature and insensitive to judge someone negatively because they cried in front of you.

#6 Eveline, Feb 21, 2016
  7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no need to feel shame in crying.
    In fact it is rather good and I would not feel bad about it at all!! (*hug*)

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't lower my opinion. It just makes me more sensitive about someone's feelings. Not in a way that I'd "baby" them, but, just getting to know someone better. We all have our sensitive spots, and it's just a generally good thing to do to make sure we aren't being hurtful to someone.

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I used to cry a bit at school- usually in the toilets, but occasionally in public. At College, not so much. I haven't cried so far, which is good. Less annoying assholes bringing me down I guess. Depends on the reason. If you cry because your favourite band split up or your favourite football team lost, no sympathy for you. If you're crying because someone is constantly "pushing you" to hard, you've had a rough day or you're in physical pain, then I can understand that.

So no, crying does not lower my opinion of someone. Even if they're crying for some trivial reason, it won't make me think of them as any less- just earn them a bit of an eye-roll that's all. :rolle:

Except fake crying. If you pretend to cry to get sympathy, then no. That will just make me distrust you, and at worst hate you. I knew this girl who would fake cry whenever she was near me, so then others would dislike me. (We didn't get on). And it was just so fake, she certainly didn't pay much attention in drama, I can tell you that. Girl needed some acting lessons. :dry:

#9 Canterpiece, Feb 21, 2016
  10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will be honest and say that, yes, it does.

I'm the kind who is extremely ashamed of crying in public. Fortunately, testosterone made it almost impossible for me to cry, so it doesn't happen anymore. However, when it did, I would try to hide, but people would come gather around me anyway. I had trouble speaking, so I couldn't tell them to leave me alone. I just wanted to punch them in the face, even if I know that's irrational.

I tend to transfer that to others. However, I will never do or say anything that would imply that I don't agree with with them crying in public. I know that not everyone has the same tolerance to sadness/other strong emotions. Crying is not a bad thing, after all. I know that this problem steams from myself, so I will never tell someone that.

When I've seen someone cry in public, I try to forget I ever saw them cry. That's what I would want people to do with me.

11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really doesn't, there's nothing wrong with crying. I feel self conscious about crying in front of other people, but that's just how I am. I won't think any less of someone if I see them crying. I'll just sympathize with them, and want to comfort them. Maybe that's why people are treating you differently, they're being extra nice to you because it might have given them the idea that you're sensitive or easily hurt, and they don't want to upset you. But that's not necessarily bad though, at least they're being nice?
    Anyway, neither crying or being sensitive is something to feel ashamed about.

12. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No it does not. It's not like you've harmed anyone.

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I respect people more when they are passionate and dont repress their emotions.

So I would say, no, in general, when somebody cries my opinion of them isn't lowered - its quite the opposite actually.

Did you know that in the past, in movies and stories, heroes used to cry quite often? They cried because they were passionate but determined about what they had to do to overcome the 'baddie' or whatever.

14. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That girl sounds awful. :frowning2:

(*hug*)

Yeah, in certain situations (Mostly when crying is used to manipulate others.) judging someone negatively for crying is most definitely justified. :dry:

However, it's important to point out, that the reason why crying can be used as a tool for manipulation is that most people respond in a caring, worried and sensitive manner when someone starts crying around them. It is a non verbal type of communication that signifies distress or pain and people respond accordingly.

15. rudysteiner

I think it depends on the reason, but if it's for something universally stupid, then yes, it definitely does. Irreparably.

16. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it doesn't. In fact I think when you cry you get s little bit stronger. And it takes courage to cry in front of someone. Although I feel weak for crying in front of people who don't care like my parents. Supposedly men don't cry.....

17. Plattyrex

I hate that mentality. It makes me feel so much more self conscious about expressing my emotions than I should be. I don't like being viewed as weak because I'm a little overly sensitive, it isn't right.:frowning2:

18. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course not. It's only natural, and holding back those emotions isn't healthy.

If somebody was forcing themselves to cry to get attention however, that could make me think less of them.

19. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only if I think they're trying to be manipulative with it. I hate crying in public and I try to avoid it, but pretty much all strong emotions cause me to tear up and I have no idea why and there's really nothing I can do about it. Doesn't matter if I'm happy, sad, angry or whatever.

I don't get sad or upset for myself all that often, but I absolutely can not listen to someone else's sad or inspiring story without tearing up and I pretty much cry during any remotely happy/sad/triumphant or whatever scenes at movies. Not like sobbing, bawling crying, but still tears. It's also hard for me to be around someone else who is crying without crying some myself, particularly if it's someone I care about.

It's annoying, but trying not to do it is like trying not to laugh in church, the harder I try not to the worse it gets.

Personally, I think it's a shame that in American culture at least, there's such a stigma on having emotions. It's like everyone is expected to behave like a robot or Vulcan something.

#19 Rydia, Feb 21, 2016
  20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, not at all. Why should one hold back and hide their emotions?