1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Pale, male and stale"? Really?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 741852963, Feb 22, 2016.

1. 741852963

I've heard this expression floating around more and more online (ironically usually by white feminists who fall under one or more of the categories themselves!), and it was seen prominently on placards at protests against the BAFTA (the British equivalent of the Academy Awards) nominees.

https://twitter.com/search?q=pale male stale&src=typd&lang=en-gb

I cannot believe how stupid it is. Protesting perceived racism, sexism and ageism....by being simultaneously racist, sexist, and ageist.

Groups amongst black people or women often quite rightly want to avoid stereotyping and generalised views of their own (things like "Black people are all the same" or "all women are x"), and this is often the crux of talks re diversity and representation....but then we have the exact viewpoints and language freely (and without and self-awareness to the irony) being dished out against others.

This phrase is often used to criticise older white businessmen and directors. Yes, I am sure (straight) white men often have some degree advantage over others in life, but the phrase implies a total lack of deserving of success which is unfair. I recall a recent tweet I saw by a white feminist using the term to criticise a small gathering of a few local businessmen "ALL MALE, PALE AND STALE!" she ranted (never-mind two of the small group being West Asian men and another being young!).

Now Richard Branson for instance could fall under "pale, male and stale" in that he is white, male and elderly (65 would you believe it?!). Does that mean he has been handed everything on a plate without hard work, or is "stale" and lacking in innovation or new ideas? Of course not. Again this phrase is often coupled with an idea that "boardrooms need women" or that minorities in the boardroom/government will magically innovate the world. I think this is really generalising, when even amongst straight, white, men you can already find incredible diversity (from dictator Hitler to philanthropist Bill Gates for example). That is not to say we shouldn't work to make top jobs accessible to all, but the idea that minorities are a magic bullet to the worlds ills or older, white, men are all either evil or devoid of talent and ideas is a bit silly and actually quite offensive.

Again in a society where racism does exist I am sure there is a degree of advantage often at play. But success (outside of politics at least!) still does require a hell of a lot of hard-work regardless and I think at the least that has to be respected.

Additionally ageism (be it against older men or women) is a big issue in society, so to throw around "stale" (a horrible word implying "past it", off, decaying, not-fresh etc) is completely unacceptable. At the end of the day would it be right of us to dismiss an elderly black lady for being "stale" and not boardroom material; or a lesbian white woman for being "pale" and thus "advantaged", or a gay Indian man for being "male" and thus not deserving of any success or promotion? Of course not.

#1 741852963, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish I had more to say to this other than "I agree", but...I agree. Protesting racism and sexism should consist of racism and sexism against the "dominant" demographics (what some would erroneously label "reverse racism/sexism"). That does not help your cause, it only reveals your own hypocrisy. While promoting diversity in awards may be a positive thing, I do not believe in diversity to the exclusion of merit (if white men are winning awards more, it could simply be that they are more deserving. That alone is not racist, but could simply an unfortunate reality)--and it certainly does not warrant ignoring the achievements of straight white men. Many people who advocate diversity and fairness have lost their way.

3. 741852963

That is the thing.

It is OK to generally acknowledge where there is imbalance, but we shouldn't directly (and personally) attack those who have simply gone about their lives.

Take business. Most company directors are white men in their 40s+, and there are a number of factors that may have subtly or strongly influenced that:
    -white being the majority race
    -sexism during their early career (back in the 60s-70s) limiting progression for women
    -different gender roles during their early career (women typically taking a family role)

Now obviously those causes of imbalance are not positive, but that doesn't mean these men are a. devoid of talent (hence they have had to work decades to achieve success) or merit or b. sexist or racist themselves. Nor does it mean they should publicly chastise themselves or resign.

Society has changed dramatically in such a short space of time (in the 50s we had lynchings and gay lobotomy, now we have a black president of the US and gay marriage being legalised across the Western world). Given top careers are not typically made over night (often taking decades of planning, commitment and promotion) we aren't going to have black people, gay people, women etc in top jobs overnight (nor should we artificially try to manufacturer this "equality" like my own company tries to do with female boardroom quotas). It takes time for industry to reflect society, and letting it iron itself out naturally is the best way.

In the meantime though we should focus on bettering our society rather than turning people just doing a job into the ultimate scapegoat. Eddie Redmayne is not responsible for racism just because he happens to win an Oscar and is white, so attacking him for doing his job well is not on.

There are also a multitude of other variables that determine success too - for example as I don't live in a snowy environment or near mountains chances are I'm not going to end up a world champion winter athlete or climber. Does that mean those "privileged" to grow up in said environments and achieve success don't work hard or are undeserving? Of course not.

4. smurf

This is a hard conversation to have online, but I'll give it an honest try.

We have to stop talking about this like is based on opinions and crazy ideas. They study of intersectional oppression is young, but we have various academic studies already that prove that the lack of representation of certain people in certain spaces is due to circumstances other than talent. That is simply just a fact.

Sadly, this is not how things work in the world. For things to change, you have to make it change. It happens through critiques of systems, scholarships, protests, conversations, and community building. You can't just "let it be" and hope for the best, because history and every single social movement has shown, it doesn't work that way.

Now, the main point of your thread is "Why can people make fun of white people and not be racist?"

Sociologists define racism is as systematic oppression of people based on the color of their skin. This is to say that oppression has to come from a Macro level and not a Micro level.

For example, a white person not hiring someone because they are black is prejudice not racism. It becomes racism when laws, people, governments and institutions come together to oppress a race intentionally or unintentionally. That is racism.

Racism is something that you cannot escape or walk away from.

With that in mind, a joke about against a white person is prejudice, but cannot by racism. The joke won't stop you from getting a job, won't land you in jail, and won't affect your quality of life. And you can walk away from it.

#4 smurf, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

The above, is the literal definition of the word 'racism'. What the above user is describing is systematic racism, but racism in general goes far beyond what the law says or does - it's something that people say and do on a daily basis. You can argue that racism against white people is inconsequential in the sense that black people are not in a position to actively oppress them, but to deny that it is racism based on the literal definition is very stupid. If someone came up to me and called me a 'pasty cracker' then I would definitely consider it a racist remark. If someone physically assaulted me because I'm white, then I'd consider it a hate attack - and there have been countless examples of minority people physically assaulting white people for no other reason than because they're white.

People don't respond well to being attacked, berated or insulted - it's counterproductive. What the new radical left don't seem to realise, or refuse to realise, is that being hostile, confrontational and unpleasant doesn't achieve you desired results. Do you think I, or any other white people, will be receptive to these people when the first thing out of their mouth is 'Pale, male and stale'?

#5 imnotreallysure, Feb 24, 2016
  6. smurf

This is why this conversation is so difficult to have. There are so many layers that is almost impossible to have a dialogue.

In order to see racism as an issue that you can study and manipulated, you have to look at it from a sociology perspective, this means that the dictionary is useless to this conversation. Sociology defines racism like I described above.

For example, Cells is defined differently depending on the academic background that you are studying. In order for this conversation to happen, you have to look at the definition of racism from sociology.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think racism against white people is an issue, as in comparison to the reverse it is almost nonexistent - but 'pale, male and stale' is racist. It isn't oppressive, but it is certainly racist.

I'm not interested in the sociological definition of the word 'racism' - I am only interested in the literal definition of the word as it applies here. A white person calling a black person the N word is racist - though according to your definition that wouldn't be racist, but prejudice. Well, in reality, it's both.

#7 imnotreallysure, Feb 24, 2016
  8. smurf

Well, thats a wrap.

Without the real definition, you will be unable to eradicate racism from our society or cause any major change.

Sad coming from other LGBT people, but it is what it is.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You mean without your definition of choice, we will be unable to eradicate what you classify as "racism", yes.

The word "racism" originally referred to a belief that there are intrinsic differences between the races; that later translated into the belief that those differences made one race superior to others, and that eventually translated to the looser definition of "discrimination based on race".

Any time someone claims that one definition of racism is the correct or incorrect one, they have an agenda behind doing so. It may be to guarantee that epithets like "white boy" are labeled "racist" (i.e. equally as racist as more infamous slurs) or it may be to ensure that only one type of racism is ever given attention--but there's usually a pretty clear motive as to why someone selects one of the definitions to the exclusion of the others.

Calling it something else does not suddenly make it less reprehensible.

#9 Libertino, Feb 24, 2016
  10. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's actually not his definition. I've heard the same thing from all the sociology classes I took when I was in college. It's based on the work of people whose lifework is studying this stuff

Yes, smurf's agenda is to correctly define racism, which in the USA means one race rules above all the others by enslaving their men, killing their children via armed thugs, and discrimination through housing, employment, and admission into universities. But he also definites it incorrectly; tellingly, denying that a racist refusing to hire a non-white isn't racism but that's exactly what it is.

Why it is so important for us to have an understanding of white supremacy (racism) beyond the elementary school level is because subscribing to the erroneous belief that it's just hatred based on race allows whites to continue to steal from poc, namely the captured nations living within the colonized lands.

I know of someone who moved to New Zealand (one of the most racist places on earth) and she's a black woman from South Africa who's been oppressed both systematically, and by racist from that country, and this antipathy has had serious impacts on her well-being. This person is highly educated with a Master's degree, speaks English fluently, yet the white supremacest system has consigned her to lower paying jobs than her friend from Czech Republic who can barely speak English; despite that, she STILL has a higher paying job than my friend, she's accepted by the racists, and has a better life. In Canada, whites earn more than non-whites because of white privilege. When a white high school dropout can make more than a black woman who has a Master's, it's a sigh that that country is seriously fucked up.

In spite of all the harassments poc have to deal with, whites ignorantly insist that they don't face any racism, sometimes saying that Barack Obama's presidency is proof that; this despite that poc, not whites elected him. A talk with just a few black, Mexican, or Asian people should be enough to convince you of the painful reality of racism, and that it's still very much alive, no matter how much whites say it's not. Plus, the only reason whitey says it's not real is because they live insular lives and are isolated from poc, and as a result they lack any meaningful relationships and interaction with non-whites. When poc do complain about exposure to racism, whitey writes off with saying it's "paranoia" or "poc always whining" and their privilege affords them the benefit of never having to think beyond those arrogant assumptions.

#10 AtheistWorld, Feb 24, 2016
  11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Racism will never be eradicated from society, and no real change will ever take place, because of '#oscarssowhite' and '#palemaleandstale'. You are your own worst enemy and you perpetuate the very thing you claim to stand against. There is a reason why no credible individuals take anything you have to say seriously (I don't count sociology professors as credible - the fact that such a thing exists is laughable in itself). In order to enact true change you need to get the majority group on your side - but you're never going to achieve that when you're going around implying that being white is bad - and you're certainly not going to achieve anything by stating anything with too many white men is 'pale and stale'.

You need to put yourselves into the shoes of the casual, disinterested observer and wonder how they perceive you. It isn't favourable. You look ridiculous. Expecting me to agree with your shoddy line of thinking just because I'm gay is funny as well - and reveals how there is a groupthink mentality amongst the LGBT 'community' (I use that term very, very loosely) and how anyone deviating away from the lunatic fringes of left-wing politics is 'wrong' or 'bad'.

I'd like to think that one day you'll understand but you probably won't. Your ilk will continue to rant angrily and then wonder why people won't listen. Keep up the good work - I'm sure your average black family really appreciates it.

#11 imnotreallysure, Feb 24, 2016
  12. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @AtheistWorld The academic definitions of words are often quite different from the public's common understanding of a word or concept. In fact, most definitions arise first in the popular sense and then are later co-opted by academia and given more narrow idiosyncratic definitions. For the purposes of changing the hearts and minds of the majority, as imnotreallysure describes, telling people that what they familiarly and correctly, I might add, associate with the term "racism" is incorrect using the defense of Sociology 101 doesn't help the purported goal. Your conception of racism is accurate, I'm not denying, but so is the conception of it as any prejudice and discrimination based on perceived inferiority or superiority of the races. You could differentiate the two with a term like "institutional racism", but the two are both forms of racism.

I am not saying that to view racism in terms of systematic oppression is incorrect; I am only saying that you cannot ignore so-called "reverse racism" (I for the record loathe this term, but I'm using it to illustrate a point); you cannot ignore racism and prejudice when it occurs in the less-typical direction (i.e. "black against white" or whatever example you may have). Furthermore, your example in the last paragraph is very true--many white people do fool themselves into thinking "racism is over", which couldn't be further from the truth. At the same time, a person who insists that "pale, male, and stale" is racist or sexist is not undermining other forms of racism. The two are both examples of racism.

This to me seems more than nothing like "well, X race had it worse, so racism against Y race doesn't really count". That isn't how it works.

@imnotreallysure This is a problem with many who fight for social justice; they are often very divorced from the opinions of the masses in general; their goals are idealistic, steeped in academia, and impractical. At the core their ideas are probably beneficial, but execution of the ideas requires more than putting down definitions that don't fit your agenda and worldview.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have expressed what I was trying to say far more eloquently than I ever could. These words fall on death ears though. Universities give these people a platform to talk out of their arse and label the resulting diarrhea 'academia'.

#13 imnotreallysure, Feb 24, 2016
  14. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I find it very silly to think that someone can't be racist or prejudiced because they are a member of a minority or once oppressed group. Racism is racism and prejudice is prejudice.

15. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if this was directed at me, but I'll debunk this (and there's a lot of bunk in here).

Again, if you're appropriating the experiences of poc who experience real racism and likening the uproar against racism to the racism poc experience and saying that some twitter hashtags are comparable to the enslavement, theft, rape, killing of generations of people of color, and hostility they face, you're creating problems in the absence of real problems. The pinnacle of racism against whites is some hashtags on twitter, and this may be hard for you to comprehend, but that's not racism. Racism = oppression and poc, being treated like they're not humans, are in no position to oppress you; if some hashtags on twitter really upset you that much, then that just shows you've never experienced oppression.

Of course the average observer doesn't care because racism benefits them, with whites getting the privilege of their suffering mattering, whereas the suffering of poc, especially those in the middle east not mattering at all; this is why the Paris attacks, while having very few casualties, was treated like such a big deal, even though the French Military has killed thousands of more brown bodies in the Middle East since then. You see, it's no small thing that white privilege prioritizes an oppressive group who's viewed as human and who's suffering is treated as human, meanwhile the casual observer treats the suffering of poc with as much grace as they would a rock on the sidewalk.

You can call it shoddy all you want, but coming from someone who may never have stepped on a university, it doesn't matter what your opinion is; the foremost authorities on sociology have agreed on the more accurate definition of racism that smurf proffered, and their work, their insights, are what matter.

The evidence is there for everyone to see that white ignorance is one of the reasons white supremacy still exists with the 'casual observer' not having any idea how bad inequality is, which is why they have this perception that blacks are whiners because they think they're more better off than they actually are. Either that, or they're just unwilling to give up their piece of the stolen pie and don't want to admit that their ancestors did barbarous things, things they to this day profit off of, but that's not the problem of poc.

16. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not debunking anything - you're just rehashing the same shit that you've posted countless times already - but, as much as I have no respect for you as a person, or for anything you have to say, I'll address a few points - even though I feel that I'm starting to repeat myself.

You're attributing things to me that simply aren't true, by putting words into my mouth. I never equated a twitter hashtag to systematic oppression of ethnic minorities - my point is pretty clear and self-explanatory. You're not going to enact change while you act in the manner that you do - you know, self-righteous little shit. You're more than welcome to think that racism against white people isn't a thing or can't happen but ultimately that doesn't matter - racism is not defined by positions of power or ability to oppress. That is one form of racism - but it is not the only way racism manifests itself. Unless you're thick, it's not that hard to understand.

The casual observer will care about racism to a limited extent, but this has little to do with white people completely disregarding the struggles of black people or any other race. People, as a general rule (there are exceptions), regardless of location, race, gender, sexuality or upbringing, care more about themselves, their immediate family and 'their own'. This doesn't at all equate to white people being completely ignorant to what ethnic minorities face in Western countries, but more of human nature - your average white person is more concerned with their problems, then the problems of people they don't know. This is true of any race - and one reason why black people show outrage when black people are killed at the hands of white people but show less concern for other 'people of colour'. The entire Oscar farce was fixated on the lack of black actors, rather than the lack of ethnic minorities in general.

This is why people say, in the UK, showed such solidarity with France in the wake of the Paris attacks - it hit a lot closer to home for us, not necessarily because they're white but because we consider them a close ally and we're very similar in many ways. It felt like an attack on a close friend.

You're wrong - though not for the first time. I am a university student.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2016 at 06:45 AM ----------

Anyway, regardless of all of this posturing and obfuscating, the general point remains unchanged and no less true than when this thread was first started - ignorant or otherwise, the majority are not going to listen to you or take any notice of what you have to say when you continue to patronise, deride, berate and insult. It's as simple as that. You can complain endlessly about how selfish they are or how they are disinterested in the suffering of 'poc' - but unless you're willing to stop being such an obnoxious human being and engage with people in a much less hostile manner, coming automatically from a position that you are undeniable right (because you're not - honestly), nothing is ever going to change.

#16 imnotreallysure, Feb 24, 2016
  17. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't say that social media isn't enacting change in an age where people are finally rebelling against this backwards, retrograde system with Jeremy Corbyn emerging as a powerful figure in your land and Bernie Sanders gaining traction over here in the USA. What we're witnessing is exciting, and Sanders and Corbyn's rise is certainly indicative of the people being sick of Capitalism and neoliberalism, and since their rise does owe a lot to social media, it's inaccurate to say that BLM and social media can't impact politics. We're living in a new era, one where almost everyone has internet access. Thus they're able to get informed opinion on issues, and if they're being honest they will admit there's a major problem with racial inequality not just in the west, but worldwide.

As for racism, I still don't think the twitter hashtags count as actual racism, not when you compare it vs racism against black folks and other minorities. Ok, in your eyes, it is maddening to see the #pale,male,stale or whatever else is trending. For people of color, so-called "minor" acts of aggression would be something like being invited to a party in an affluent area and having all the people staring at you, as if to say you don't belonng. Or it could be in work where you have covert racists getting mad because they expect a poc not to be good at their job and when they are they scrutinize them and act over-bearing if they surpass the expectations of a racist.

Fine, I'll concede that point. It's not entirely based on race, because just before the attacks, there over two hundred Russians killed in a passenger plane in Cairo during a terrorist attack, and nobody cared about that either. You're also right that you share the same values as them: France supports secularism and the UK supports it but only for white French people and English white people. You share equality, justice and liberty, not for otehrs but for yourselves. For the Arab world, they arm ISIS and have historically overthrown secular governments all around the world.

You're wrong - though not for the first time. I am a university student.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2016 at 06:45 AM ----------

If I called anyone ignorant, it wasn't meant to malign or offend anyone, I called them ignorant because they were--and there's evidence of their ignorance with survey to prove it-- and it's not like others here don't do the same, especially with the anti-Christian slant on this forum that's so strong that Christian members have been banned for no reason. If you say Mormons are anti-science or whatever, is it hostility or are you merely making a point that the religion has very improbable beliefs that don't jibe with science? When I say they're ignorant, it's not from hostility, it's just because it's the truth, but I will phrase it more politely if that's what you want.

#17 AtheistWorld, Feb 24, 2016
  18. 741852963

But the point is this goes beyond "a joke" about/against a white person - a joke generally implies good humour or comedy. This is an offensive statement or an insult.

And yes this most certainly can affect quality of life. If people are having their very worth questioned, and having mobs calling for them to be sacked from positions I fail to see how this is "powerless" and meaningless. People's reputations and jobs are on the line here. And to say the ability to walk away determines whether something is racist? Well a black person could technically walk away from a slur without any physical or material harm - that wouldn't make said slur any less racist though.

Where to even begin?

Firstly a lot of what you have mentioned (slavery for example) is historical racism and so hardly something every single POC today has to deal with daily - and not even every POC has had these things happen to their ancestors so that isn't exactly relevant.

When we look at modern day racism, a hell of a lot of it does boil down to insults, slurs, prejudice, stereotyping and bad treatment - which is very much of a similar theme to what we are discussing here.

And yes racism is a form of oppression, but you most certainly do not need power to oppress. For example I could set up an anonymous (ergo raceless) Twitter account and oppress/degrade/upset absolutely anyone (be they straight people, black people, white people). A white hillbilly with not a dollar to his name can oppress a wealthy black man through words or violence. Likewise a black person in poverty could do the same to a white man. When that is done out of hatred of a race (any race) that is racism.

And all "oppression" means is the power to inflict harm, and unfortunately causing harm to people is something anyone with a brain and a body can do. We ALL have that power.

That is an extremely simplistic view on things.

Plenty of POC feel 9/11 was a big deal for example (and rightly as it was absolutely horrific) - it isn't "white privalige" to feel that way, it is human.

You are right we do publicise domestic terrorism that happens on home turf or in close proximity as "bigger". But there are obvious reasons for that psychologically that go beyond race:
    1. it is closer to home and far more real to us than something happening in places we have a. never heard of, b. never seen before, c. never been to
    2. the average Westerner has grown up with a lifetime of hearing about violence in the Middle East (and like it or not a great deal of the responsibility for said violence does fall on non-White people - there is a large element of domestic greed and religion at play) - so hearing of violence in an already violent place, and often perpertuat is obviously never going to be as shocking as violence in a peaceful urban environment.

Ask yourself which would gain greater press attention: a stabbing in a school OR a stabbing in a prison? A crash on the freeway or a crash in a quiet town centre? An army bomb in a warzone or a terrorist bomb in a non-warzone? "Racism" sometimes plays a part, but it is largely down to relativity.

And whose fault is that exactly? All white peoples I presume?

Integration is a two-way street, it takes two to tango. The vast majority of white people don't refuse to interact with POC, but you very often do have self-segregation amongst groups. A few examples in my own life: at uni there were Chinese cliques who would interact only with other Chinese people and in Chinese, in my work there is a group of Indian colleagues who likewise interact only in Indian with other Indians. Likewise you have "black barbershops"* and Polish shops etc etc which due to language barriers in place often are psychologically restrictive to white people (or even "no-go areas").

There are sometimes barriers in place yes, and you are damn right there is often awkwardness from black people towards POC. I would say the VAST majority of this though is not an unwillingness to integrate but down to self fears (often ironically of "not appearing racist" which is a biggy.

In my country there are very few black people for instance (<1% I believe) so yes a white person seeing a black person may do a little double take as it is "out of the blue" or unexpected. Much like seeing a nice car in my neighbourhood is unexpected and would cause a double take! Likewise I'm sure a white person in Lagos or Beijing would probably receive more than a few funny looks.

This is not in of itself "racism" though, although it obviously can make POC feel uncomfortable or like there is a barrier. They do, as a minority, need to work through this discomfort though, as their increased visibility is the only real way to break down barriers. It is exactly the same with gay people, if we all hid away and only spoke to other gay people for fear of funny looks, confusion or outright homophobia then nothing would be achieved.

And by the way terms like "whitey" as you have used or "honkey", "whiteboy" etc (which are defining a person by race) are part of the problem as they are MASSIVE and real barriers to integration, as much as their counterparts the N word or "darkey". Again back to integration being a two way street - just as I'm sure most black person would not want to interact with a group who insulted them or defined them by there race, many white people find these terms equally disparaging and offputting.

Could you imagine me going "hey fatty! why don't you want to interact with me? That's discrimination!". If a person goes about insulting people they cut those people off.

Bingo.

*Just on the black barbershop point. I know there is the argument "gay people have socially approved "safe spaces" (i.e. gay bars) so why shouldn't black people be as free to self-segregate". I think there are a few slight differences though. Black people more often than not have a safe space in their own home (as relatives are often black and experiencing similar issues and racism), gay people on the other hand very often face abuse from what should be this "safe space" (as their relatives are non-gay so do not experience homophobia directly) so seek it externally. Additionally gay people kind of HAVE TO date other gay people so bars are an efficient way of gay people meeting for relationships or even sex. There is no real similar compulsory requirement for black people to date within their own race.

I want to point out neither example is "wrong" and it is a human right for people to associate with who they want BUT I'm just making the point that gay self-segregation in these examples is a bit more of a necessity.

#18 741852963, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  19. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm, that depends on what you mean by poc. If you're talking about those in the west, then yes, the conditions of their life, often significantly lower than whites, and consigned to a state of servitude (but not slavery) wouldn't be considered slaves, but for those unlucky ones not in the west whose lives are imbricated in tragedy, violence, and pillagery from Europeans, and their existence is one of slavery with western owned corporations paying them far less than a dollar a day for their work, and westerners, even the 'working class' make a profit off it seeing as the west gets all of its wealth from their labor. For this reason, I would say there's no white working class, because they're not exploited as it's understood by Marxism

Finally, you can't define racism to make it mean what you want it to mean to put forth your counter argument, because words don't lose their meaning just because people don't agree with them. Imnotreallysure may not like the meaning of racism, but just because he along with most people don't like what racism is, it doesn't mean the meaning of the word racism is lost, nor does it mean that you can radically redefine racism into

You are wrong. As a white person you're entitled to white privilege, but you're not entitled to define what racism means. You and Imnotreallysure are white, and just because you choose to decide that racism is just prejudiced/aggressive behavior doesn't change that racism is structural, institutional and systemic. The fact that two white men here are trying to decide what what racism is, and how it affects the lives of poc is yet another showing of white supremacy on this forum. Consequently, even though you don't experience any of the ways racism manifests, you can reduce racism to mere twitter hashtags, or insults, but you're still wrong.

First of all, the French, the British and the Americans caused the conflagration in the Middle East, and they armed the terrorists who murdered the civilians in Beirut and they armed the same terrorists who killed over 200 Russians in Cairo. I've said this before but my posts were deleted for some reason: Racism in France is what radicalized the muslims who carried out the attack, and months prior to the attack a national survey showed that over 70 percent of the French people said Islam had no place in France.

I found all the people posting French flags on Facebook ridiculous for the same reason I dislike the Remember 9/11 memorials: it's just an ideological tool to serve imperialism and further attacks against Muslim countries. These memorials, and #solidaritywithFrance hashtags give imperialists an insurance to continue their murderous actions. The next time we hear about a strike in the middle east, people like Imnotreallysure will go: So what, they deserve that for 9/11, and for the Paris attacks. They're designed to induce a feeling of apathy towards muslims. Tellingly, point 2 is exactly the problem. The middle east is burning and it's France's fault; they set it ablze which is why those muslims, radicalized by racism, tired of seeing their family get butchered, decided to make France bleed for once.

By mourning for the French, and not the people of the Middle East and the Russians, you're basically saying you don't care about them; they're lives aren't as important as the westerners. And if the lives of people who live among us matter, why aren't we placing memorial pictures of those murdered by police on social media? Certainly, if this is about remembering lost human life and not ideological, we should post memorials of people slain by the police, no? Innocent lives killed by thugs that possess a license to kill, yet nobody seems to care about them.

Ask yourself what's more tragic: a murder or a suicide? The victims in Beirut, the slain Nigerians killed by Boko Haram, the 230 Russians killed in Cairo, all their deaths were murders. The attacks in Paris were a self-inflicted wound.

I don't know how things are where you live, but it's the exact opposite here. I'm not a poc but I attended a diversity training once for a job I had and during that seminar I got to listen to a woman of color talk about her experiences trying to mingle with whites, and how traumatic it was to the point she had gotten nauseous amid the ordeal. Her experience was an instance of aversive racism. That means whites didn't want to be in the presence of a non-white. Often, this type of racism isn't outright aggressive, but it's still noticeable and upsetting to the victims of it. She had gone to an Christmas party after being invited by a colleague and upon getting there she was eating her food when she realized all the white women were eyeing her. She wondered why they kept staring at her and it hurt her so much that she couldn't finish her meal.

Hostility at places of employment ranges from the more outward actions, such as leaving nooses in a black man's locker to calling them the n word, to the more subtle things like saying something along ,"Wow, you did such a good job writing that software for us; it was so good it was almost as if a white person did it" One of the privileges of being white is to never have to hear such abusive backhanded compliments...

Poc know that those incursions are just a foretaste of what they'd get if they accepted a white colleague's offer to a party, and that's why they tend to stick with their own.

20. 741852963

I don't quite know how you could say that when you have both black and white people living together in relative poverty, reliant on welfare and food banks.

You even have white people in the West suffering slavery in the form of sex trafficking, work slavery and underage sex grooming rings (which are run by both fellow white people and ethnic minorities alike).

So yes white people can and are often just as economically disadvantaged or working class.

it is you who is "radically redefining" racism, myself and Imnotreallysure are simply using the plain meaning, dictionary definitions of racism:

"hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

"a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

Note that there is no criteria on the active person's race or position in society, anyone (regardless of their race) can view another race as inferior.

And as a gay person I would have thought you would have the understanding to see "privilege" is just a concept, not black and white. A white, straight man is not automatically "entitled" to a better life than a gay, female POC for example. There is a hell of a lot more variables at play: health, wealth, geographical location, talent, education.

But do you not see any irony? You are accusing people of "white supremacy" (a horrific crime) for merely sharing there own experience or trying to fight negative behavior. What special right do you have to solely define what is or is not offensive or racist, or who "does not deserve" to be treated decently (because regardless of whether you think this is racist, this behaviour is disgusting and damaging)?

So on one hand you are calling for a platform and a conversation, but then you want that censored?

Yet again you are viewing this simplistically.

You are essentially saying France deserved to be attacked for criticising Islam? This is like the Charlie Hebdo debate all over again. People have the right to be offended, they do not have the right to react with extreme violence to minor offence.

France is an extremely secular society so no I don't find the 70% statistic shocking. The question in that survey was probably heavily framed with the idea of Sharia courts and Burkas which naturally people have a reaction to.

If you asked a person in the UK do burkas, Sharia courts (where domestic violence is treated with dismissal) and fundamentalist Islamic beliefs have a place here the answer would probably be no. And then we have surveys pointing to a zero percent tolerance for homosexuality amongst British Muslims (and a similar statistic for France).

So it is no wonder people have concerns over the religion (note the question asked about Islam) when at times it conflicts so heavily with what we now view as our culture (human rights, gay rights, feminism etc).

Firstly, I find that whole section truly abhorent.

Secondly, "for once"? Are you forgetting they had a terrorist attack the year prior?

Finally, "radicalized by racism", who's racism exactly? None of it their own? And religion playing no part in their radicalization. Far from what you believe many Islamic State fighters were not formerly innocent oppressed civilians - they come from positions of power - hell many of them come from perfectly cushy lives in the West where their family are very much alive and cared for by the state!

So no, this terrorism cannot be justified. Violence is only justified in direct self-defence (which by legal definition means reasonable force and done imminently following attack/not pre-meditated) or as a last resort.

Take Charlie Hebdo, reasonable reaction to the offensive material would be to protest, petition or speak to the publication. But no, it jumped straight to calls of murder, death threats and then calculated cold-blooded murder. That is not a reasonable reaction to offence (which is kind of the point ironically Charlie Hebdo were protesting against with their publication).

Well again that is the very thing I'd described, not necessarily racism by definition (which is a hatred of a race), but more an ignorance which is in this instance wrongly being interpreted by the POC as racism.

Minorities are by their very definition minorities, and until people meet a minority yes they often don't know quite how to act.

If I say to a group of straight people "I'm gay" you get a hell of a lot of "oh, err, right, um". That isn't automatically homophobia (it can have roots in homophobia, but the expression is not always done to deliberately offend) and YES that can make me as a the minority slightly uncomfortable BUT it is necessary if we want to progress.

As minorities we cannot just accuse the majority of ignorance without being willing to show the initiative and educate. Yes it can be painful, yes it can be uncomfortable but it is one of those things.

Well I certainly wouldn't view the latter as a "back-handed compliment" that is racism plain and simple and in my country you just would NEVER hear of that (not without serious consequence). Either of those example would cause instant dismissal of the perpetrator and rights to compensation via an employment tribunal.

So I'm afraid to say I just cannot see those as "everyday" occurrences, those are extreme examples.

Again that is like presuming every gay person in employment receives daily extreme homophobia like having "fag" carved into your desk. It most certainly happens (and is tackled when it does), but it would be self-serving fiction to say in this day and age it is a common experience.

Now I have experienced homophobia and certainly some ignorance in my time (some actually at my gender from women: "I've never met a man who can touch type!" or "women are better at admin work than men! this is a woman's job" etc). But in my experience that is something best countered by interaction and education. Running away from these situations is a right, but it does nothing to help. Not always comfortable, but definitely rewarding.