1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria after coming out as trans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by superwholock007, Feb 23, 2016.

1. superwholock007

Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to three friends as being a FTM trans guy today and they were all supper supportive of me, even told me the I chose fits me. Almost immediately after telling them I got super Dysphoric and I had no idea why, is this normal?

2. QueerChair

I'm not trans(as far as I know) so I can't say much...
    But in my opinion I think it's kinda normal. I mean, I'm only friends with one trans person. But once he came out to me and kinda our friends he also became majorly Dysphoric. He has other trans friends who he met online, some of which also have Dysphoria. I think there's also a YouTuber who's trans and kinda Dysphoric that they watch? I don't know.

But the point is I think it's normal. That or you all have something terribly wrong with you, but I doubt that.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly what's happened with me. I've recently started coming out to people and my dysphoria has been growing with each person I tell. I think it's probably to do with the fact that you know they know and that they might be looking for specific things. Like my chest dysphoria has gotten a lot worse and I'm constantly checking to see whether I'm flat under my binder. I think that once you're out to more people and give yourself and everyone else some time to adjust the dysphoria should somewhat lessen... at least that's what I'm hoping.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Give yourself time to adjust.

Coming out as trans is a very stressful thing and it might cause dysphoria. You're telling them something very important about yourself with no certainty of how they'll react. After you're more out and after you really know how people feel about it, you should feel better.

5. BriSoft

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for posting this! I am older but the same thing is happening to me. The more people know the more I feel like I am not presenting well and am ugly.

Switching how you view yourself and how you think others view you is a process that takes time I would imagine.

*hugs*
    Bri