1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it like being LGBT at your school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerChair, Feb 23, 2016.

1. QueerChair

I was just wondering how it is being LGBT at other schools/workplaces.
    Whether everyone's insanely gay or strongly homophobic, please tell(if your comfortable that is ^-^). I also wanted to say this...

I go to an all girl school and there is this confidential LGBT thing which is on once a week. Most, if not all, the members are Bi/Pansexual and seniors. There are so many damn gay people at my school. There's this group of 10+ people, pretty sure all of them are gay, maybe just some of them. Then there are all these other girls who sometimes also join that group. Then there's probably some juniors and other seniors that I don't know who are also gay, in fact that's most likely a thing.
    Like what!? Why so much gay!?... not that I'm complaining or anything.
    Is this just my school? xD

2. plantlester

Wellll, there's a Gay/Straight Alliance at my school which is alright. I'd say about 90% of the kids at my school are straight and cis AND homophobic though. It's no fun. It's kinda scary to hold hands with my girlfriend in the hallway to be honest. Lots of people are jerks and stuff ugh.

3. Emulator

Not in school now, but there was basically no existence of LGBT+ people. It's a conservative place.

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't technically ATTEND a school, but I work at one. It's a Franciscan Catholic college. There's a club that never meets, and LGBT+ stuff is never really talked about, despite the large population of LGBT+ students that I know exists here.

5. Chief Beifong

Not a really big issue here, but the LGBTs in my school are low-key (meaning it's not really known to anyone outside their social circle that they're LGBT, but not too low-key that they have to hide). But I can say there are some LGBTs in my school, but not much that it's too noticeable. Surprising fact is that I go to a Catholic school in Hong Kong. Though I can say that my Catholic school is not like the typical Catholic schools (Catholics only make up about 10% of students).
    But in all, being an LGBT is not really a big issue. People have opinions, but we don't bully for others being different by identity.

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people are open about that sort of thing here. We have a GSA, albeit a mainly female-attending one, and there's a huge LGBT "network", so I know a ton of people. In fact, there's at least one lesbian couple going to prom. The school doesn't care. I'm not out as trans to the administration yet, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue with them.
    Most of the people I came out as trans to aren't even surprised. At this point I look somewhat like a guy, so no one is that shocked. :grin:

7. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I go to an all girls' school but I haven't really heard anything about a LGBT club, there might be one if it was under wraps, but even if it wasn't, I'm kind of oblivious to a lot of things so I might not have noticed, even if it sounds like a cool idea >n<

I've heard a rumour or two about some girls being lesbian though, and I don't really understand why my school feel the necessity to spread information that might not be true (you can only find out by asking the person themselves and all I heard were rumours), and even if it was, it's not as if they're to be avoided, which seems to be insinuated as the friend who told me tends to lower her voice when speaking about it. She believes people are only gay because they didn't have good experiences with the other sex, but I don't really agree with her.

#7 Cornered, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  8. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My group of friends is soooo gaayyyyyy. Other than that, my school doesn't have a lot of LGBT people, but I have three friends who are queer sexually and one who is gender queer. (We're all biologically female, as far as I know there are no males that are queer in my school, but there's a boy in my friend group that we all are wondering about... xD)

9. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

We are home schooled, however a school we might go to in the fall has a big GSA club (it is a private school) and my bf goes to a public school and the school has a LGTQ Club...

10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    My school has a GSA. I'm only out to a few friends, but they don't think differently of me. I don't think anyone cares if you're LGBT at my school. Everyone have their own stuff to worry about.

11. marcelinevin

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not in school anymore but I'm from the UK and we didn't have any kind of LGBT clubs at either of my schools. Nobody was out (at least in my yeargroups) and 'gay' was used as a joke a lot. I remember being called lesbian because of trivial things as a derogatory word. Sex Ed was all about straight cis people. Most of my friends were bi though but only told those in their friend group. We didn't get told trans existed in any classes.

12. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Literally everyone at my school is so chilled that the word gay is used as a regular adjective among gays and straights. We have a GSA here too so I've met many people from different sides of the spectrum. The GSA is also trying to see if we can get history and social studies classes to talk about LGBT+ people in their lessons. However the only people who are slightly homophobic are the parents who barely found out what gay is and the kids who always make sure they aren't doing anything remotely queer because they are "totally straight guys!" So yeah if any of you guys are thinking of a school to go to, head on over to California! :slight_smile:

#12 TheSideKick, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Our school's alright; but my friend said it was bad when he was in the high school. I think things have improved for both sexuality and gender, so that's always good to hear. In our school we'd talk about any of our teacher's or student's relationship [if they wanted to] ... just to waste time. Our sex-ed classes I remember were quite general that would benefit both straight and gay people. To be honest, in sixthform, I don't think anyone really cares. I mean, we talk about it and everything because lessons regard the wider world, but nothing bad is said.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm homeschooled thank god.

15. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know maybe 4 other LGBT people in my year. There are probs more in younger years (I'm in the last year). I'm at a girls school too. We have no society, but no-one really cares. But no-one talks about it either. So I'm not out becuase... like not even the girls that had relationships ever came out it just happened and they admitted that they were going out when it became obvious. Actually there is one girl who has a boyfriend but has anounced that she is bi, but she's sort of obnoxious... don't wanna be like her. But yeah, its open, everyones happy for any couples and there isn't any gossip or people being made fun of. My old school though was a regular old homophobic one.

16. Gallium

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to an all boys school, and there isn't anyone that is openly LGBT and most of the teachers and students are homophobic. Acording to my English teacher, the last time a LGBT person studied my school, he was kicked out. The only thing I hope is that things may change/ have changed.

17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh. We're a small-medium size city with a church on every street corner, so not sure if that puts things into perspective or not.

I think only a handful of people I went to school with were out, and I heard they got ragged on a lot--including one girl from my chemistry classes who I think got outed as bi and was hazed. Everyone else that was LGBTQ+ that I knew didn't come out until senior year or after we graduated. We had no GSA club, but I thought about starting one after being inspired by my partner who tried to get one launched at his high school. Nothing ever came of it.

It's been almost four years since I graduated, so maybe things changed. I wouldn't be shocked if nothing has though.

18. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on whether or not people like you or not. The thing is though they're extremely prejudiced about that. I live in a small rural town, so you'd think there'd be a lot of rednecks at the school, but in truth we don't have any rednecks so much as people that try to act redneck to look cool. It's all superficial, and of course as a result they've taken up homophobia to seem rad. In my experience if you're gay/bi/lesbian (I know only two people that aren't cis and they're not majorly out as far as I know) they won't hate on you unless you actually act like the stereotypical gay person. If someone is just an average dude is gay then they pay it no attention but if he's a flaming person with all the quirks and mannerisms or if he's like "emo/gothic" then they have a field day with it, never to their face though unless they're looking for a fight. Other than that we have a sizable LGBT population at our school considering the size.

19. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No one at my school is an open lgbt and all the people I know there are straight and it is a topic never discussed.

20. plant

The area where my school is in is very conservative and close minded, however I've never encountered any problems surrounding my sexuality. There are very little LGBTQ+ people, probably enough that I could count on 2 hands