1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromosomes.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Despite failing science at school, I'm interested in genetics and biology. I've been reading about the brain and genes and was wondering specifically about chromosomes in someone who is transgender. I hope I am not offending anyone by asking.

1. What are the chromosomes of someone who is transfemale?
    2. What are the chromosomes of someone who is transmale?
    3. What are the chromosomes of someone who is non-binary?
    4. Anything else you want to add?

Thank-you.

2. Nobo

They're just Normal we haven't discovered a gay gene yet sexuality and gender identity are all psyologucal

3. AlamoCity

I would assume for 95% of people:

Cis males: XY
    Trans males: XX

Cis females: XX
    Transfemales: XY

For non-binary folk I would presume they have a higher-then-average likelihood of having a non-standard chromosome designation.

4. choirsmash

Trans people can't change their chromosomes to match their gender identity. So, a transmale would still have XX and a transfemale would still have XY. Anyone who is non-binary would have the chromosomes for whatever sex they were assigned at birth. Biological sex can't change with gender. Everything on the identity level is psychological, there hasn't been anything discovered biologically to be able to tell if someone will identify as trans when they're older.

Intersex is a completely separate thing, chromosomes to have influence on that. I'm not sure what the chromosome sequence is for someone who is intersex, but it's a rare occurrance so I'm not sure if there's been much research on it.

#4 choirsmash, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's hard to say because it would be a generalization, assuming everyone has either XX or XY chromosomes. Don't forget about XXY, and all the others too.

6. AlamoCity

I wouldn't call it a generalization, per se. Klinefelter syndrome (XXY) is one of the most common chromosomal disorders and only occurs in 1:500~1000 male births. Chromosomal disorders aren't what I would consider common enough to consider it a generalization to presume most males (cis men and trans women) are XY and most females (cis females and trans men) are XX.

7. Distant Echo

People will generally have the chromosomes of their assigned at birth gender, with the usual variations detectable only by DNA tests. It is a reasonable assumption that:
    Cis men and trans female are XY
    Cis women and trans male are XX
    Non-binary correspond to their assigned at birth gender
    Intersex would be determined by DNA tests and could have both XX and XY What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

And any of us could have one of the variations and be completely unaware of it.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Scientifically correct.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Not necessarily. They are mostly epigenetics. The genes aren't different but they express differently.

10. Nobo

Oh I didn't know that!

(Btw that sig photo is awsome

11. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yea, genetics is a pretty complicated subject when you actually rip into it. When you start looking into enhancers, RNAi, pre-mRNA and the removal of introns, and some other weird stuff (not that those are all relevant to being LGBT, but they all relate to epigenetics) then it kind of makes the Punnett Square seem so basic that's it's unreliable.

People don't seem to realize that genetic code defines so much more than just your appearance, and gene expression is an important part for how the brain develops. Identical twins often have the same genetic code but the genes express in the opposite way. A lot of these traits do with one twin being left handed while the other is right handed, one being gay while the other is straight, one developing Alzheimer's while the other doesn't. Psychological effects often are "genetic". Just not the genetics most people think about. :slight_smile:

Oh, and thanks. I made it myself :slight_smile: (not the anime characters, but I did the design for the signature style)

#11 Skaros, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  12. EnchanterForest

Hey this is random but what Chromosome is Heterochromia on? I am interested because I have like two different eye colours, and I am trying to figure out by reading a book that I was given by my science teacher in the hope to find the answer; but I am not sure it is in there.

13. Nobo

You have two color eyes? That's awsome!!

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2016 at 11:52 AM ----------

Also found this for ya

There is more than one gene controlling eye color; this is one reason why there are so many different eye colors. Currently there are three known genes that impact eye color. Two of the genes are found chromosome 15 and a third is located on chromosome 19.

What Determines Eye Color?