1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom tooth removal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MerBear

So I have to get my top left one extracted without anesthesia. They are only giving me 5mg of Valium, and then putting a needle in my gums to numb it and I'm really nervous because I don't want to feel pain. At all and I hate needles

What's your experience on wisdom tooth removal

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't feel any pain during the procedure or afterwards if you have good painkillers. You may experience some tugging as the dentist removes the teeth, but no pain.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they're putting a needle in your gums, they're using local anesthesia. You won't feel anything. I got both wisdom teeth out with only local anesthesia and it didn't hurt in the slightest. I didn't take the Valium or nitrous oxide, either. Didn't need either one. Whole procedure took maybe 10-15 mins.

For me, the pain afterward was pretty minimal. I took 2 or 3 regular strength ibuprofen every few hours for couple days and that was it. It's really not a big deal in most cases.

4. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never got a wisdom tooth removed, but had a anesthesia administered by a needle before (twice in a row...) It doesn't exactly hurt that badly, just that you can't see anything while it's going on, so it shouldn't be that scary.

Good luck on it! :3

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got all four removed in surgery when I was about 18. I was out for the count and all I remember was them telling me to count backwards, then I was waking up in the outpatient recovery room. I honestly think after the first day or two, I didn't need the pain killers they gave me. It wasn't that bad at all. I'm sure things might be a little different if you're getting things done locally, but not too drastically I'd assume.

6. I got the same procedure as you will get, except that I got both of my bottom wisdom teeth removed.

Wasn't painful, just a ton of pressure. Except for the part when the surgeon gave me the injection. He wasn't even looking at me and laughing at something. I think I felt tears coming down my eyes....

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I definetly have to get the bottom ones removed no word on the top ones.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wisdom teeth removal is rarely painful, and my case was one of those rare exceptions because the anesthetics weren't very effective for me. The doctor recommended that I listed to music from my ipod during the procedure, and told me that I'd probably only remember hearing the first song (even though the procedure takes ~30 minutes). However, I remember hearing all ~10 songs, and being quite aware of what was happening. Talking with the doctor afterwards, he said that that was so unusual that I should tell the anesthesiologist about what happened if I ever have surgery again.

In spite of feeling pain, it was manageable for me (although I have a high pain tolerance). I was considering raising my hand (the signal I was instructed to give if it hurts significantly) but didn't.

Given that my experience was the rare exception, and that even then it was manageable, you'll probably be fine. The pain after the surgery wasn't too bad as far as I can recall.

9. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can tell you that waiting until they're infected sucks. The procedure itself isn't painful, and with the Valuim you might not even remember it. Follow the instructions about dry socket carefully. A friend had that and didn't enjoy it.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had two grow in and have no problems. I'm not getting them removed unless I have to :slight_smile:

11. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got my two bottom ones removed with anesthesia and felt no pain at all. The sounds it made was probably more disturbing :S

Personally, not being able to eat normally for many weeks was way worse.

12. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have all four of mine grown in--they all came in straight. My dentist still wanted me to have them removed for no reason other than "they might be hard to clean". That's not a reason to see an oral surgeon for me (and they have in actuality not proven hard to clean), but I know it would put money in their pockets...

13. kataracts

I had all four out under general anesthesia a few months ago and got dry socket in the two bottom ones. I didn't realize the pain wasn't normal for a week so, and by that time it was so bad, much worse than actually getting them out. Probably not an encouraging story for you, but...