1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being a spiritual nerd

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

I love nerdy stuff like science and computers, but I'm also very spiritual. I feel like these things really contradict each other. Whenever I'm around other nerdy people I feel like I have to hide my spiritual beliefs. I even feel like that on forums like this.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can be "nerdy" and still be spiritual. I love studying astronomy, physics, and anthropology--but I think of myself as a fairly spiritual person as well; being constantly in awe with the beauty of the natural world around me. There's nothing wrong with that at all!

3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see no contradiction

4. alonsy alonso

You should never hide your beliefs they make you who you are amd i do not see anything wrong with yours. They are just as valid as others and who knows they nay even feel the same.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just say "The more I learn about the universe, the more I realize how much we don't know." Other self-proclaimed nerds who trust in science should agree with you on that much.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same. I don't see a contradiction either. I'm a nerd of sorts (more in the literature/English/history side of it rather than math and science) and I'm fascinated by the metaphysical, philosophical, spiritual, and supernatural. Question everything--that is often what I've lived by and that includes inquiries into the less tangible less physical aspect of existence. Just because it may be outside the realm of science, doesn't mean it can be just as interesting.

7. rudysteiner

I'm exactly like this, but apparently the combination of literature, languages and spirituality makes me come across as very pretentious. :lol:

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    There is indeed this notion that spirituality is devoid of all logic and science requires no faith or imagination. It divides people, and I hate to see it happen.

As for me, my interest in spiritual stuff has a lot to do with my pessimism toward science. According to me, what science has as its most formidable quality is accuracy - it depicts "the truth" (throwing that term around) very accurately, or so is my guess. However, I believe it is limited in scope. Our scientific progress that we've made as a race is astonishing, but then again, if we only think about how little we knew about the world 100 years ago compared to now (including that of the science that we have debunked or heavily edited), just imagine what we will think of ourselves as we are now 100 years from now (assuming our civilisations don't die out from climate change). Thus it is limited in scope - how much left is there? How far will science reach in my lifetime? Will it be able to sate fully my desire for knowledge? It does not at the present time and I doubt it ever will. So for now I'll just rock out to

[YOUTUBE]XIgylNHB00k[/YOUTUBE]

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh I know how that goes. The moment I tell anyone I double-majored in philosophy and English, it's accusations of pretentiousness and questions of "why would you study that?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm that way but I don't see a contradiction.

11. Jellal

I think a lot of spiritual people are inherently nerdy. Nerds are passionate about stuff