1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

private high school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jman77, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my parents thought for a moment before i entered high school to send me to a private high school. i will be a junoir next year and mom my is thinking of it because of some reasons but anyways does anyone know anything about them like how hard it is to get in and when to start applying and stuff? anything would help thanks :slight_smile:

2. Kimi

I'm in private high school...but in Japan so I don't know if things are same as your future school. And I also think it's really depends on the school I mean they are private school after all.
    So I don't know if this is gonna help you but here it goes...

As far as getting in, there was an interview(3 mens vs me), and some general paper tests on major subjects. The interview was about my old school in the U.S., what is my dream, what book do I read now, what do I think about segregation and other racial discriminations and what do I suggest to solve the problems, and things like why I want to attend this school and how I got to know about this school, and all other boring stuffs...and I believe my interview was about 30 min. And I think my parents did something too but I didn't even bother it cuz this whole "putting me in private school" idea was my mom's. So I suggest you to research about the school to answer some questions they'll ask you about the school. If you have an interview though...
    The paper tests are bit hard...I think you definitely need to go over sophomore's stuffs...and maybe some next year's stuff.

And I don't want to be too detail about moneywise(tuitions and contributions and etc)
    But when you get in the school I think you have to pay enrollment fee, and possibly contribution as well.(And you have to buy uniform for summer and winter, gym jerseys, text books, etc and etc) And as far as monthly tuitions are usually fixed, however sometimes you have to pay more...In my school it happens often and school never let us know why they needed to charge us more. Sometimes they do though.
    And when some events happen in the school like the anniversary of the school foundation the school let you know that they are willing to accept contributions, usually when they let you "know" that means you "need" to do something.

But I really think private schools are very different so I think you and your mother should find someone who is already in the school that you want to go and ask about how the things work. And ask them to introduce(or recommend) you to the school. That'll help too.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a private high school for Grades 9 through 12... it was good for me at the time but I don't think it would be for everyone.

Mine was considered extremely exclusive so I guess that also means hard to get into. If your parents have gobs of money they are prepared to donate to the school, however, they could essentially just buy you in.

However, private schools vary widely in their vision and what they're about. But if you're in Canada or the US, chances are they have way already done their intake for the next year, so you'd probably only be able to get into your final year at a private school. I think most would probably be interviewing and doing admissions a year in advance, so if you're school year starts in September then getting in for your junior year would be pretty much impossible.

Why does your mum want to send you to private school? Do you know what kind of private school she's looking at. "private school" with no other descriptors is pretty vague.

4. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

private high schools are awesome. I go to a public school in my town that is academically at the same caliber as many upper end private schools, so in that respect it is silly to pay for one. My boyfriend goes to a private school in town where there are 40 kids in his grade, and everything he tells me makes me wish I went there instead. He is completely out already and no one gives him any crap for it. My graduating class will have 500 kids in it, many of whom are extremely conservative / douche-y about gay people. If I wasnt going to be a senior next year I definitely would transfer to the private school just because it would be a much better environment in which to fully come out. I figure that since its my last year i might as well just finish it off where i started, plus applying to colleges would be more complicated if I were to transfer now

5. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to public high school and I despised it.

The only private schools around here are run by Christian fundamentalists that want to protect their babies from the heathens or by racist Christian fundamentalists who want to protect their babies from the heathens and the "naygers".

Not exactly the place for a gay agnostic (now an atheist) to go to.