1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Astrology, particularly horoscopes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, Feb 14, 2009.

?

Do you regard astrology, esp. horoscopes, as accurate?

1. Not at all, it's completely ridiculous

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. Hardly, but maybe sometimes

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. No opinion either way

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Yes, it seems accurate to me

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Absolutely, it's guaranteed accurate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This isn't a thread to be posting your "sign" or comparing it with others, no - I want to know what you think of the field of astrology, the notion that stars, planets, their arrangements, and a person's birth month can affect things like their personality or compatibility. Just...discuss it.

2. tallship

I don't know really but just a curious fact in the Zodiac I am a Taurean, in the Chinese Horoscope I am a metal Ox , and both of these share a lot of what my friends tell me is my character . So who knows :icon_bigg

3. Dazed

Dazed Guest

im a Leo..and nothing at all like they are meant to be. leos like the spot light. being center of things. being with alot of people. id rather stay at home with a good book then hang out at a party. and i hate most humans. lol

so..idk i think its made up adn they get luck aometimes about picking peopels personalities.

4. pirateninja

It's funny really, just the other day I was checking out "Linda Goodman's Sun Signs" after KaraBalut posted a quote from her. I don't take it all as fact, but I can't deny that there are some things in there that are exactly like me. I also had a look at at a free online natal chart (where you type in the exact time and place you're born and it works out where the planets were and what they mean) and yet again, there are certain sentences where me and my friends have just gone "No way" because there was no possible way that they could have put that aspect of our personality in any more perfect terms.

I don't know; overall, when I've found horoscopes saying what my Sagittarian personality is supposedly like, I've found many of them to be pretty accurate. For those weekly things in newspapers that tell you what your week is going to be like, they are unsurprisingly innacurate. I don't hold horoscopes to absolute truth, but there may be something in them.

Accurate or innacurate though, they're still pretty interesting and fun :grin:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe in them in the slightest. I think the descriptions horrorscopes give about personalities and "daily suggestions" are vague enough that people can read themselves into them. "Work on resolving a long-standing conflict"? Well, which of us DOESN'T have some sort of long-standing conflict?

I've had two acquaintances "do my zodiac chart", or whatever one calls that. Each time, they said it'd be "just for fun". Since it was "just for fun", I went along with it...but lied about my date of birth, just to see what happened. I figured if this stuff was really accurate, they'd tell me "Well, based on your date of birth, you're a Libra. But you don't really fit the profile much - you seem much more like a Capricorn." Nope. One said I was a prototypical Libra, and the other said she should've guessed I was a Sagittarius when she met me. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. jazzrawr

Well, I don't believe in them religiously. I know they're not completely accurate, but there's alot of characteristics about Cancers that are perfectly spot-on.

I definately don't believe the horoscopes, like "This month you will meet someone that will change your life" type of thing. But the personality traits are usually quite accurate.

7. Brandford

I have a book on astrology and i think it describes people with specific signs well, im a virgo and it describes me almost perfectly

8. kayar

Well you see, I'm a Gemini and let's see if I can live up to my birth-sign?

I had to vote 'other'!

Why? Because when I read the horroscopes in newspapers and magazines, etc.; I don't take a single crumb of notice about their predictions.

However, (here comes the interesting bit, I hope) whenever I've been in conversation with someone who has studied Astrology (and remembers it!), I'm totally amazed at how perfectly the traits of a Gemini man describes me. It's so close that it feels really spooky!

Soooo, for me - the jury's still out on whether the course of my life (past, present, and future) can be plotted using Astrological interpretations. BUT, I'm not able to deny that there are uncanny resemblances between me and how my birth-sign is said to make me.

Confused? Me too, or is that just the 'twins' at work??????????

:kiss:

#8 kayar, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. biisme

Along the lines of what I was going to say...I was the second "other".

The rubbish we read all over the polace, generally untrue.....but I believe there are people who could perhaps do it accurately.

10. The thing about the astrological signs is that they're designed such that a person looking at them will automatically try and see if the description fits. Even if it doesn't fit, I think plenty of people will give a mental "Yeah, but..." and try to make it fit in some way anyways. I don't think there is any correlation whatsoever between my birthdate and my personality. Had I been born a day earlier, I would have been another astrological sign. Are you going to tell me that a single day- no, actually, just a couple hours- determines my personality? I don't think so.

11. Lychee

I read the horoscopes for laughs every day.

It just seems unlikely to me that for 8% of the population something will happen on a certain day just because Mars is in their sign.

Also, I know so many twins that are completely different, so that kinda ruins it for me

12. Emberstone

think of twins, born at the same hospital, minutes apart. they can have vastly different personalities.

besides, with the processions of the equinox, the zodiac signs are wrong. we are using a system that was started like 1600 years ago, and so the signs that the sun now rise in during the time of our birth periods are not what they list in the papers.

I wrote a story once where a character asked a seer about it, and she said "divine sight is not written in the stars, for two people of the same age will look up into the sky and see the same stars, but their lives will take different paths."

if you do it for entertainment value, I can see it as being harmless. You shouldnt put much faith in such things though anyways. there are very few astrologist who bother to calculate the proper positions of the zodiac as they currently are, and those who do are chastised by the mainstream astrological movement.

13. Mickey

I'm a virgo and have very few traits of a virgo. Now,if this was a thread on psychics, I do believe some people are psychic. I used to read cards and I was actually good at it.
    I quit doing it because it sometimes unnerved me! But,horoscopes...not so much.

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hardly fit any of the Gemini traits I've heard of. I'm not a big believer in horoscopes, they're written to be general enough that they can apply to anyone who tries to make them apply.

15. bruenor92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i kinda do, not like 100% but sort of. sometimes people do act like wat their sign says they do but sometimes they dont. also peoples horoscopes do come tue but then again there are like 450 million people in america alone so the horoscopes online an stuff are bound to become true for someone, right?

16. littledinosaurs

I voted other.
    i would like to believe that they are accurate but i don't know for sure and have never really looked into it all that much.