1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent advice needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emmanuella, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Emmanuella

I'm thinking of quitting my job of 6 years. I already wrote the letter of resignation and I'm ready to hand it in. I just need a final push. Here is the situation with as fee details as possible:

I've had job A for a while but the pay and hours aren't great. I'm making 14$/hour with only about 5-6 hours a day for 6 days. On that I'm struggling to live and save up money.

I have job B which pays 200$ per day and has better hours. It is not guaranteed that I work evert day though as it is on call (a lot of work IS available though). Job B is on my career track and would eventually lead to a permanent job with better pay (not great but better).

When I agreed to stay at job A this fall, it was with the understanding that I will be working more and more with job B and that I would soon only be available in the later evening. We even hired someone to assist and take over some responsibilities while I was not there.
    Somehow this understanding was forgotten, and my boss at Job A is very upset that I am working more with Job B.

I feel that my duties at JOB A are holding me back from saving up money and advancing in my career. I always loved the job but over the last 6 months or so have come to realize that it isn't worth the sacrifice.

I really have very little money saved up if I resign now, but I feel like I need to do this. My boss wants to meet with me tomorrow to talk about my availability. I think it is the perfect time to give 2.5 weeks notice.

Shifts from job B aren't guaranteed but as long as I put myself out there and network/promote myself, I should get regular work (at least 3 shifts per week would give me 600$/week which isn't a horrible start)!?

Is it stupid to resign with little money saved up? Is it a necessity? It looks like my boss is going to give me an ultimatum. Which way do I go?

#1 Emmanuella, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Really

If you quit job A, will you have enough for rent and food, etc? I think if you can manage for a while, I would quit A because it's obviously bringing you down. You will be in a better position to expand your work in the job B environment.

Even if your boss A gives you an ultimatum, you can still ask for time to decide. If he/she says no, I think that pretty much tells you how much they value you and you shouldn't feel any guilt about giving notice.