1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is Honor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What does the term "honor" mean or signify to you? Be as concise or thorough as you like.

2. Jellal

I believe honor is culturally specific, and can vary in subsets within cultures (i.e. a chef likely has a different code of honor than a soldier!) I consider honor to be a category enveloping duty and responsibility, particularly in a sense that you're adhering to the guidelines of a specific social role. Alternatively, some people have personal codes of honor that are unique to them. If you've ever watched Hunter x Hunter, the character Hisoka is a good example of this—a murderous psychopath by normal human standards, but with a set of rules for what he does. He plays by his own rules, but he never breaks his own rules, refusing to kill a certain someone when he learns they will not pose a challenge to him or give him the fight he desires. Honor therefore demands consistent dedication to a creed whether that creed is social or personal or both.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honor to me means that you:

a) have a clearly defined stable set of codes that govern your actions that more or less conforms to what people generally think what is ethical and
    b) you stick to that code even if it is expensive to you socially or financially.

You could deviate from the code only if it is expensive to you and unambiguously benefits other people without disadvantaging anyone else. For example, forgiving a loan is an honorable act even if your code of conduct states that you do not forgive loans.