1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If they're still not getting it right.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

So I go to an LGBT club and I've been going for about six weeks now but the people at the club are still not getting the pronouns correct. I know one of the people from high school so I'd understand if he had some trouble at first, but he was better at the pronouns when I first joined than now. The other people in the group who I had not known before are also not using the correct pronouns (apart from one person) and I just don't get why they're not using them. Is there anything I can do? I just really don't want to go, but I also do because I've never gone to a club for LGBT before and I thought it'd help for university and wider world.

Thank-you.

Also, my reason for putting this in the chat, has anyone experienced this or similar before? What did you do [to cope with it]?

#1 Secrets5, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Jellal

Me personally, I don't rag on people for pronouns hardly at all since coming out to them. I'm just relieved that my family and friends still want me around and still love me. Their actions mean more to me than their words.

Though I have to say it does irritate me ... and part of the truth is that I don't like confronting people. I've just been tolerating it since I can at least be around folks who accept me and that does make me happy.

I would recommend you still go to the club because you know the people there are not trying to hurt you. If you believe it will help you for the wider world, then that's probably an important lesson to learn.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What pronouns do you prefer, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not saying this as an excuse, but sometimes it can take people a long time to become used to using "non-traditional" pronouns. It took me a long time to become used to using singular they pronouns (and my partner uses those pronouns). I would just try to nicely remind them that they are not using your pronouns. That's what it took for me to really get used to singular they pronouns.