1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sean12, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Sean12

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if when someone who is a trans-guy says that they are gay if that means they like guys or girls? I am guessing that it means that they like other guys but just wanted to clarify:icon_bigg

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!
    Since a gay trans guy identifies as a male, by being gay, he would then be attracted to other guys. So yes, he is into men.
    Don't feel bad about asking, it's something that confuses a lot of people and it's much better to respectfully ask.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a gay trans guy and I can tell you that I an a guy attracted to other guys (be they cis or trans)

4. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It works the same with trans women, but I haven't personally ever heard of a trans lesbian who would sooner call herself gay than lesbian. "Lesbian" is pretty clear about being into women and just women.

It gets complicated with non-binary people, who sometimes identify as gay. It seems most non-binary people who identify as gay mean that they're only attracted to people of their gender assigned at birth, although I've also heard of non-binary people who, by calling themselves gay, mean they like other non-binary people. I've also heard of non-binary people identifying as lesbian, which is pretty clear about only being into women.

I know I might have just blown your mind. Feel free to ask more questions.

5. Sean12

Thanks for all of the replies :slight_smile:. That cleared it up for me. Systems, I think I get what you're saying.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What the above people said...

Trans-man = man, therefore if he's gay he'd be into men.
    Trans-woman = woman, therefore if she's gay/lesbian she'd be into women.

As Systems pointed out, though, it's often not so cut and dry. The DSM-IV had a statistic suggesting that 3/4 FTM's are attracted to females, thus straight. Anywho... Oftener than not I see trans-people identifying as bisexual/pansexual. Nonbinaries it may be wise to ask them to clarify what they mean by "gay" in order to avoid offence.

Simple rule of thumb is that a trans-person is the gender they identify as, thus sexual orientations descriptions can be taken from there.

7. thepandaboss

Just take the trans out from in front of trans man and you have your answer. A man who calls himself gay likes men, no?

8. H20

H20

While I do agree with everyone above, I should also point out it can be complicated at times. I've come across numerous posts online and even a transmale YouTuber who've identified as lesbian because they haven't or don't plan to have surgery and they find it easier to say that in order to get it across they still have lady bits below the belt.

Also, with gay, it can be confusing at times. There's many women who identify as gay because they don't like to label themselves as lesbian, but they're still only interested in women. So it can go either way, but if a trans guy is being misgendered as others as female when they're a dude instead, they could perveice you as lesbian.

Generally speaking, yes, a trans guy that is gay likes other guys. But it can still lead to misinterpretation depending upon other's POV.