1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety/ Panic Attack (please help!)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Xvision, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Xvision

Hi everyone,

I do not know where to put this thread, so hopefully i'm on the right section.

I have a very big problem that I never knew how to deal with. I suffer from Social Anxiety/ Panic attack. It started when I was around the age of 5. Whenever I have a Social Anxiety/ Panic attack, I just cover myself up in my blanket and start crying for hours. The pain and fear are so big, I sometimes don't even know how to handle it. Because of this and many traumatic experience, the bad past I've been going through just makes everything in my life tough. A lot of people run away from me and break me down when I have an attack and that just makes me feel colder and more isolating from people. :tears: . I've tried to seek for professional help but it didn't do much.

I wish I could tell you guys more about it but because i've become so isolating, It very hard for me to be very open about it :icon_sad:

Does anyone else here have Social Anxiety or Panic Attack?
    And how do I/YOU deal with it? Can anyone give me some advice please?

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey XVision, no. You're not the only one. I started having panic attacks around every month starting last year (and a little bit in my early childhood) At first they were little-r, and I'd just cry with no idea of what's happening, and feel scared, and shiver, and it'd last 15 minutes-1 hour. Then they started getting worse around winter last year, where I'd start to get in a state where I'd not be controllable and start beating myself up, physically..yeah. Then I started experiencing disassociation, which was really worrisome, but not out of ordinary, luckily, for an extreme anxiety symptom.
    I know that I can feel a panic attack coming on, so when I feel it, I do what calms me the best: music. If you can figure out when it's about to start, then quickly go to something that you know will soothe you. But sometimes the time between when I know, and when it starts is too short to do anything...so it may not always work.
    The way to deal with panic attacks is to keep yourself connected with the world. One thing that happens when you get a panic attack is that you're not in control. I find what helps me is to be aware of my surroundings, touch something, listen to music, and just sort of describe what is actually going on around you, it'll calm you down a little. It doesn't always work for me, I haven't mastered getting out of panic attacks quite yet.
    I do remember one time when it worked, though. I was experiencing disassociation (the feeling that I wasn't myself, I was viewing the world through a camera, it was unreal) and I remember picking up a plush unicorn at a store and petting it. I know, it's a little silly, however it calmed me down just to focus on something that was real, and I felt less afraid, though it didn't completely go away.

I have social anxiety too, but it's not connected to my panic attacks normally...except recently, I've panicked twice about going to school because my anxiety and depression levels have been blown out of proportion. Unfortunately I don't know any better than you how to deal with that, but I guess I could tell you that it's not too abnormal to have it.

Professional help, as in what? Therapy, medication? And how often do you feel anxiety, and panic attacks?

3. Xvision

I can really relate to your story, I also had depression in the past.
    I would often sing or listen to music to calm myself down, but it doesn't always help.
    I do sometimes feel when the anxiety starts or is coming, but I don't always know how to handle it. I just cry and try to stay strong as long I can (I'm mostly just hold on till the attack goes away). Talking about an attack, I'm having one right now :frowning2:

Professional help like in going to a therapy, But it didn't really helped me because the psychologist was laughing at me so I never went back again.

I would often have a anxiety attack, most of the times it happens at night and it could last for 2 to 4 hours or 4 to 6 hours (it depends). I just feel very scared, tears would run out of my eyes (or I would just cry out of nowhere). I start to feel isolated and lonely (being cold). And panic attack would only happen when something big is going to happen like example: When something/someone is entering my personal life, when I'm falling in love or knowing that someone likes me back. ect...

Sometimes It almost feels like i'm going mentally crazy :icon_sad:
    I just wanna enjoy and have what other people have, People to love and who loves you back and friends. And a great adventure. I think love can solve a lot of things.

#3 Xvision, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have panic attacks and anxiety problems, but I also have depression. Panic attacks, sudden extreme sadness, and suicidal urges are pretty similar problems for me. When I notice things going in a bad direction, there are several things I do. If I remember, I take my as-needed anxiety medication. Almost always when things are very bad, I immediately tell at least one person and talk about it. Usually this helps a lot.

When I have suicidal urges (this might also work for panic attacks), I usually try to listen to some of my favorite music and focus on it, trying to keep every instrument and every note in my awareness. It works decently for distracting myself. I personally listen to some very heavy metal with screamed lyrics. I like it so much because it feels like it expresses my emotions for me. It doesn't make me feel angry or frustrated, despite sounding extremely angry and frustrated. It just makes me feel better. To me it sounds more pleasant than diabolical.

I also usually report the panic attack/intense sadness/suicidal urges to my therapist and to my best friend. I find it very helpful to be able to talk about these things. Maybe I'm just super lucky in that the people in my life are glad to help. I used to isolate myself and not tell anyone about any of my problems. I've come to really enjoy being open about them, and I still have room for improvement. Two days ago I had suicidal urges and didn't tell anyone because I felt I'd be being a burden, but my therapist reminded me that I only had reason to believe my friends would have been glad to have helped.

I definitely recommend finding a good therapist. A good match won't laugh at you. It might take a while to find a good one, but it's worth it. Meeting with a psychiatrist could also be a good idea. They might suggest some kind of medication. Therapists usually can't prescribe medication and don't have the expertise to monitor how you're doing on them.

Also, try just talking to the people in your life about your anxiety problems and how they could help. There's a good chance they can become very helpful if you reach out.

Isolating yourself can feel like the right thing, and I don't know if it's always bad, but you clearly want to be around people. Maybe look for a metal health support group or an LGBTQ+ support group? You might make lasting connections there, and if nothing else, you might enjoy being with (hopefully) supportive strangers.

5. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have extremely bad anxiety in any form you could name. And I ended up isolating myself, pushing many people away for a while. I went through extremely bad times, and am only now starting to get better. Therapy, in my opinion, doesn't help anxiety, but finding something you love does help tremendously. I found that music does wonders in helping stop an attack. If you are having an attack, or know one could be coming, put in earbuds, and listen to your favorite music as loud as you need. So if you have a hobby, like sports, music, or art just go to that when you are experiencing the anxiety.

6. Xvision

I just have another anxiety attack. It getting worse lately and I can't help but to cry and feel scared to the maximum level. I can really relate to all of you. The few last years i've been isolating people from my life. Almost like i'm trying to protect myself from everyone else.

I really want to see another therapist, but my mother doesn't think I should. She said it's a waste of my time and I'm wasting my money on them. But then again she's old fashioned but not wrong lol
    I'm scared to go to another therapist who will waste a lot of my money. I just hope I don't need to go somewhere to pay money so they can listen to my story and laugh about it.

My life is filled with fear. :tears: does that make me crazy?

#6 Xvision, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016