1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you enjoy non-fiction?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

I generally don't. Most of the non-fiction books beat around the bush way too much. If I want non-fiction I read academic stuff. I used to prefer YA fiction, but I'm now bored of it. I've been thinking of re-reading Harry Potter. I've only read that series once and it was ten years ago. I'm thinking of cosplaying as one of the characters.

2. Wolfie0001

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, I'm not into non-fiction at all. Gimme some good fantasy! Or anything from Stephen King. Or ... well, there's plenty more I like, but it's all fiction.
    Unless 'Lord of the Rings' was based on a true story :wink:

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoy non-fiction way more than fiction.

I stopped reading Harry Potter after the Half-Blood Prince. But I should've stopped in the middle of the fifth book, as the last half of it, and Half-Blood prince was complete garbage. I also stopped watching the movies around the same time knowing it was just gonna progress into a worse series the more it went. The prisoner of azkaban movie was particularly awful, I disliked how they edited out Sirius Black's speech to Peter Pettigrew declaring he was a coward for selling out the Potters.

The first 3 consisted of children's fantasy that had complex riddles and themes to lure adult readers, but the rest lacked the flair she had; they felt watered down. In the last book, it's basically a fantasy Nazi Germany, and I'm not a fan of the cliche good vs evil, and I wish her ghostwriter would've tried harder with the last book. I'm all for calling out white supremacy in literature, but that story is too simplistic, and it's just liberalism vs nazism without an understanding of where both come from.

As much as I've read, I can tell she's ghostwritten the last two books. It was halfway through the 5th that you can she gave up, hired a ghostwriter, and seemed to stop caring. The lack of character development in the last 3 Harry Pothead books demonstrates that it was a ghostwriter who wrote them. You're telling me that Ron went from slightly incompetent to full out retard and Hermione experiences the same thing, going from a bright girl to a low-info drama queen? What about their relationship suddenly halting? After the Goblet of Fire, there's hardly any mention of their relationship, when in the previous books Ron was gushing over her.

#3 AtheistWorld, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. alonsy alonso

I have some non-fiction books i am yet to read but everything else has been fiction so i am excited to see the difference.

5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely. I read far more non-fiction than I do fiction. I enjoy fiction just fine, but my curiosity about the world and about the subjects I love guarantees that I will be reading mostly non-fiction. Currently I'm reading a book about New Testament apocrypha, one about Australian Aboriginal tribes, and a biography of Albert Camus. There's such a diversity of what I want to know that my thirst for non-fiction is insatiable.

6. Vav

Vav Guest

So what books do you recommend?

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure. It's only because of my taste for nonfiction in elementary school that I got to knowing a little bit of everything. Before I was 10 I learned intricacies of several sports, the Titanic (although it was already a big deal in the late '90s :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), nuclear power, how planes and helicopters work, and tons of other really interesting stuff purely from what I read on my own. If somebody wants the answer to some random chunk of trivia, they check with me first, and I'm pretty proud to say I don't often disappoint. :slight_smile:

The real world can hold its own against imagination every so often.

#7 Argentwing, Mar 3, 2016
  8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently my desk holds five books on neuroscience and/or psychology, various theological texts, as well as an autobiography (of Leonard Nimoy). So yes, I quite like nonfiction.

#8 Kodo, Mar 3, 2016
  9. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Most of what I've been reading lately is non-fiction, mostly about economics, psychology, politics and history.

10. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I read mostly non-fiction, especially books on historical events and philosophy, and the occasional crime thriller just as 'brain candy' in between.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I read more non-fiction than I do fiction.

12. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I prefer non-fiction these days and I have a library card, which leads me to borrow books like crazy. I used to a fantasy fan but I hated every main character in every book (except the discworld)

13. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, I like memoir a lot. I also like academic texts, but not for fun reading.