1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle children

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TEres321, Feb 14, 2009.

1. TEres321

So im a middle child and i was wondering if anyone else on here was. If someone is, I'd like to ask:

Do you think succesion/order of birth affects your life, how you grow up and mature. do you feel like sometimes you get different treatment from your siblings, and do you often have some anger at them?

Any answers would be nice :confused:

2. biisme

I'm a middle child. I think to some extent being the middle child affects my life. I think I have more freedom than my two siblings. The firstborn is always so precious that they're overprotected, but the same is true for the baby of the family as well. I, being in the middle, can get away with a lot. However, getting away with a lot comes with getting less attention as well....

However, my brother and sister both have some issues, not to say that I don't. The difference is, my parents know about their issues, and I made sure they don't know about mine. So, attention-wise, I don't think it's a fair judge of how I'm affected. So, my anger comes from when I believe they or my parents are using their issues to justify whatever they do, even if they have nothing to do with each other.

3. TEres321

yeah? I dont know, i always feel as though im the most restricted, and im the troublesome child. My older brother is 18 now and hes always gotten everything hes ever wanted, and then my mom gets my little sister everything she wants. and the thing is my older brother is super-smart, and my little sister is too. im just musical, and a lot of the time i feel like that even hinders me because i cant do anything with it because of the fact that it always bothers my siblings.... i dunno, its just that the fact that im gay, and that im not the perfect child compared to them bugs me and makes if seem as though my parents pay more attention to them...

4. littledinosaurs

I'm not the middle child but i definitely think that birth order affects how you grow up, mature and are treated in general.

5. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not technically a middle child, but i'm treated like one. Me and my twin brother are the youngest of 4 children, but i'm a few minutes older than him and he requires a fair bit of looking after so he's treated like the baby of the family.

It doesn't bother me much now but as a youngster I always felt like I was being ignored, and yeah, I did throw me fair share of temper tantrums as a result. But our relationship has changed over the years and now my siblings and I are good friends. I feel a great sense of responsibility for my brother, and that's sort of put me on my parents radar at least

6. pianomike

i am in the middle, i have 3 older sisters and 4 younger siblings (yes we have a big family and no we all don't live in the same house i am the oldest at home right not... and my parents have been married for 27 years and are still very much in love!!!)
    P.S. yes we have a big house...........................you may now breath..........

7. Lychee

Hahahaha, you totally answered all of my questions right there and then :grin:

I'm on only child, and I'm sure it's affected me. I like my privacy, and I have always spent way too much time in the company of adults, so I understood political jokes and other random stuff from a very young age XD

8. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm on only child, and I'm sure it's affected me. I like my privacy, and I have always spent way too much time in the company of adults, so I understood political jokes and other random stuff from a very young age XD[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a half-brother but he was 19 when I was born so he left home when I was still pretty young. I'm pretty much an only child. I was a real loner when I was little - I only had one friend at any one time, and I spent 50% of my time on the ground and 50% up a tree. My days were spent in the garden, and I was home-educated for 6 years, so it was WEIRD going to high school. I got bullied, but I've moved schools now after learning a lot about how to deal with social situations.

I have a lot of adult friends still, and I get on better with the Lower Sixth than with people my own age. My brother thinks I'm pretty spoilt because I go to a posh school and live in a nice house (but I'm not rich.... my dad got made redundant and we're having to downsize - it's a very long story) but I try REALLY hard not to seem egotistical.

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah, seen a documentray on t.v about the middle child syndrome, that the middle child is the angriest? because they get the least attention which affects them in the future.

10. jbb1236

I'm kind of in the middle, if you count my adopted brother. I have two older brothers a younger sister and a younger brother. I was the good on of my family, I got away with pretty much anything I wanted, mostly because I didn't really get into much trouble at school or anything, so my parents trusted me a lot. I probably could have got into some really terrible stuff when I was younger, but I didn't really hang out with the "in" crowd. As far as my family I got the preferential treatment, because I was the most trusted. But yeah, I don't think that I got as much attention as the rest, my two older brothers were always in trouble, my sister was just high maintenance, and my younger brother has a lot of mental/psychological problems so he needed A LOT of attention.

#10 jbb1236, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  11. fantasmo

I'm the oldest of two, so there is no middle child.
    I know my sister and I have been raised differently, her being more sheltered and less independent. I don't think my mom likes how independent I've turned out because I often don't involve her in my decision making. My sister, on the other hand, asks my mom's opinion and permission before doing anything. I like being oldest; I couldn't stand being the baby, it would be suffocating.

There's one cousin, the middle child of his siblings... his older brother is practically a hermit, his little sister is a drama queen, and then there he is. He's smart, social, nice; he's just a good kid. At family parties his brother just sits back and talks occasionally, his sister runs wild and annoys everybody, and he's usually there talking with everybody and having fun. I honestly think, of the three, he's the one who's going to grow up to be more well-adjusted.

12. ricoca

Well, I'm a middle child with a 20 year old sis and 15 year old bro.

It does matter to a certain extent I think. I don't know, I feel like I tend to give up a lot of stuff for their sake, no matter what. Sometimes I think I'm more rational in a way than my sister or my brother. I fade into the background a lot of times.

I don't regret being the middle child though. I just think of it as a blessing. Not too much responsibility and not too much pampering!

:grin:

13. MyStIcAl WoNdEr

I'm the middle child

For me the oldest and youngest are spoiled, I'm not