1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offensive Words For LGBTQ+

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by H20, Mar 5, 2016.

1. H20

H20

So I'm doing a lot of research on the LGBTQ+ community because I feel like I should know all this stuff personally and one of the main things are offensive words and phrases.

I personally have not be called anything homophobic or transphobic since coming out, or had anyone bash me for these natural parts of me, (though I'm coming out more and more and wearing pride items publicly, so I'm expecting some to start soon because, ya know, people are rude).

So my question to you guys is what words/phrases and maybe even comparisons you find offensive, whether you hear it in general, in the media, or said to you directly?

You don't have to unless you want to, but I'd also like to know why because I've noticed inconsistency. For example, sometimes the people use the term "queer" for the community as derogatory, but I myself don't find it offensive, mainly due to the fact it's used in genderqueer and that's not an insult but a label many people go by, including myself sometimes. However, I've noticed some people still find this term offensive.

There are other ones I'm unclear about too such as faggot since I've heard multiple LGBT people use this among themselves, and even dyke which I always thought it was an insult, but some lesbians prefer this.

Also, I know for the transgender community, the number one insult is - forgive me for writing this since I know some people absolutely hate hearing or even reading it - tranny. I just want to understand why this particular word is hugely offensive to my community and I seriously can't find anything online that explains it or its history. Especially when someone asks me why this is an offensive word and I can't tell them why because I don't know, so they continue to use it because it comes across as innocent which upsets me because I know so many people HATE this word.

Any opinions would be great (as long you remain respectful because occasionally some people don't like to be on these kind of topics, which I understand, but I'm coming from a place where I want to know so I can better represent myself and my community around others).

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queers is the new faggot and faggot is just a standard insult.

3. Distant Echo

I use queer to describe myself often. I would be very pissed off to be called a faggot.

4. I'm_Danni_x

I also use Queer as a self identification label. Faggot, poof and dyke are the one's I find offensive the most.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the community has managed to take back queer and use it as a self-identification label, I like the definition of the word because it's so broad. Fag in the UK isn't bad because it describes a cigarette but faggot sounds pretty aggressive. I also hate the word tranny. Its just one of those words you hear and cringe. I think it's because it's always been used to insult, we never claimed it as a community because we have transgender/transsexual. Its said by ignorant people with the intention to hurt.

6. Just Adam

I don't like Queer tbh and fag, I don't like any connotation of as smoking is a big no no for me anyway.

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't take so much offense on a particular word but rather in meaning and behavior. In my opinion you shouldn't build up a list of words that will automatically make you insulted. Rather, try to understand in what way and in what state of mind a given word is said. If the purpose is to insult or humiliate then you could reasonably be offended but I personally just rather think that it's not really worth to the trouble to be offended. A person who purposely tries to offend someone says a lot more about themselves than about you or anyone else.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My housemates and I regularly use poof and fag and faggot. I don't find it offensive in particular, and if someone (on the street or somewhere), uses "faggot" toward me, my response is usually something like "Really? Is that the best you can do to call attention to my sexual orientation?" which... usually has the effect of severely deflating them.

On the other hand, I personally don't like 'queer', as I'd rather be "a bundle of sticks" than "strange, odd; of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady". But that's just me :slight_smile:

I totally get that people like it because it's a broad term that has been adopted because it's widely inclusive, it just... for me... doesn't work.

9. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me it all depends on how they're used. I'm not sensitive to language. Only if they're used in a derogatory, condescendingly, or otherwise unfriendly way. I care. other than that. If a friend calls me a fag in a joking way I know they don't mean it like in a bad way.

10. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that Fagott And cocksucker are the most offensive to me!

11. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friends and I also use words such as poof, fag and faggot quite matter-of-factly. I think it's not the actual words which are offensive, but how you convey your ''message'' and I've found lesser words or descriptions, such as my family's preferred use of the word ''tilted'' to describe someone who is LGBT to be much more offensive or when they use the word 'faggot', which although is rare, it is just expressed in a very disapproving or homophobic way.

12. PrsngHppnss8D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, if it's clearly an insult, I would be pissed off, even with the word "gay". But I'm tolerant with my friends. In my native language (portuguese), there's one word that straight and gay people would refer to gays. Is something almost translated as "faggot", which I don't really like, but it's really common here in Brazil.

13. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I don't like the word faggot, not because of its meaning or something like that, just its sound. Otherwise, I'm ok with most every other insult. I think that because English is my second language, most of the insults don't carry the same weight as it does in my language, if that makes sense.

14. Lipstick Leuger

I hate carpet muncher. It's just tacky and offensive. I identify as Queer so I don''t care if someone calls me that. I also don't like Homo or Lesbo, they just sound so annoying, but I am not overtly offended by them.

15. Jellal

I like queer as a word to identify with, and faggot sounds more like an insult ... that being said, I do love the word "faggot" itself and I think it's a fun insult but I wouldn't want me or any of my friends to be called it.

16. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really find any particular words offensive. I understand that some of them, when used by some people, are intended to be insulting, but I don't really care, at least not when they are directed at me.

I don't identify with the word "queer" at all and I never use it. My friends and I sometimes use the word "dyke" in a joking manner, but I'd never call someone I didn't know that, because some people do find it offensive.

If I need to identify myself in a more serious manner, I just go with lesbian.

17. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it most irritating when people say 'a gay', as in "Oh I love Mike, he's a gay, gays are always so funny"
    However, it is difficult for someone to offend me in reality so I don't know if there really are any words that someone can use.
    In fact, the other day I saw written on a gate outside the local school - [name] is a fag and succs c*ck - the most offensive part to me was the spelling of sucks.

18. Pete1970

One that I hear often lately is pickle smoocher

19. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Faggot, He-she, and 'It' really grind my gears. But maybe that's just me... I don't get offended very easily.

20. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Faggot, poof, dyke, Ponce, camp, Queen, Nancy, pillow biter, fairy, arse bandit

I use some of these when joking around with friends, but I'd never use them with malace