1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Latin American people POC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

Whenever I hear about white privilege, I'm always curious a both who's "white" and who's a "POC". Especially Latin American people.

2. Yosia

POC and 'white privilege' is a load of BS ngl. The sooner we get rid of the POC term and all other terms regarding race, and just accept everyone as the human race then the sooner racism and 'privilege' will disappear.

3. AlamoCity

There is a segment of Latin Americans who are very "white" (i.e. Most ancestry is from Europe as opposed to a mixture of Amerindian and European).

That said, I would say most Latin Americans qualify as "people of color" in the sense of "non-white," or white, non-white. On old Census forms for my family (from 100-150 years back) race has always been "White." That said, if you look at me you could tell I'm "Hispanic."

A peculiar parallel are those of middle eastern descent who, by US Census designations qualify as "white," but still have stigma attached to their ethnicity.

That said, I don't hear "people of color" as frequently in the US as in other parts of the world.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't even know anymore. I'm more inclined to think along the lines of Yosia's comment: I hate all these divisive terms and wish they would just go away.

I'm a Latin American-American and I don't consider myself to be "POC", but if someone wants to call me that, they can, I guess. I generally hear the term used to refer to black people, but what additional people it covers isn't clear to me.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone's a person of color-- just varying amounts.

6. tscott

I've from Brazil and Nicaragua who not only consider themselves white, but also couldn't be mistaken for anything else.

This should be such a moot point here in the 21st Century.

7. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I identify as Latino (duh) but if I said I was a POC people would laugh at me. I think it depends on your ancestry and, well, what people think after they've just met you.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, I think it's similar to those of Jewish ancestry: while some would be considered "white" (Ashkenazi), there are many from the Middle East, Africa, and Asia who are obviously non-white.

But you could argue that being Jewish or Latin America puts you outside of the typical Euro-American picture, by virtue of having a different culture. I have friends of European ancestry from Latin America, and as soon as they open their mouths and reveal their origins, they're seen and treated differently by (Anglo) Americans.

Then you have plenty of white passing folks who identify as poc... two of my siblings would fall in this category. They're not white - they have large amounts of indigenous ancestry, but can fool some people at first glance. On the other hand, you've got white Europeans like Antonio Banderas, so...

Most Latin Americans in the US would be considered poc. Whether they consider themselves as such is a different matter altogether, and the definitions within two countries could vary tremendously. I think the question should be treated the same as if someone asked, "Are North Americans poc?"

9. Vav

Vav Guest

I kind of feel like I have the same POC-ness as my Jewish friend. He identifies as "brown" and I don't really understand why. He has curly hair and a big nose, but his skin color is about the same as mine. My sister identifies "brown" as well. She's darker than me and she deals with more racism than me. I only have to deal with racism when people see my last name or family. I guess I'm white passing because I have plenty of non-white ancestry.