1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RyFastForward, Mar 7, 2016.

1. RyFastForward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you think that society will ever reach a point when LGBTQIA+ people won't have to go through the whole ordeal of coming out? I mean, when society won't automatically asume every child born is Straight and Cis-Gender? And which do you think will come first, if ever?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure it will be like that, at least not for a good while. Even if prejudice is greatly diminished to the point of virtual nonexistence, fact is LGBT+ people are still a minority. Thus, it is assumed that one is cis/hetero from the start unless they "come out" in some form or another.

3. RyFastForward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I rather agree with you, but I suppose one can be optimistic.

4. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honesty I don't think either will ever Happen when everyone is born there presumed to be straight So then When you come to realization's your not Like the world wants you to Be it causes so much Chaos inside Coming out can be even worse at time it's like your a brand new person trying to find a grip But is not like everyone else Homophobia is real and has long as this earth is around that will never change people can be very cruel People still stand by the bible And "any man who shall Be with another man" shall burn in hell Or something like that I don't remember exactly it was quoted In the prayers for bobby people stand by Something written at the beginning of time

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe but I don't think it'll happen in this life.

6. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well ... I'm not coming out in terms of my sexuality but I do talk about the people of same and opposite sex I like. My mother asks me about male and female celebrities I think are beautiful, so I think she already knows I'm bisexual but respects the face I can't be bothered (if straight people don't I'm not) to come out. Now, I know some people think that merely talking about who you like is coming out, but if that is the case, then straight people come out too.

So I'm thinking that the ''coming out'' for sexuality will stop before the ''coming out'' of gender. It also makes sense in terms of numbers; about 10% of the world is LGB but only 1% [UK figure] is trans.

@Seahawksfan

It's from Levictus 20:13 ''if a man lies with another man in the same way a woman than they both committed an abomination, they will surly be sent to hell" (there's other variants but pretty much the same thing). I read somewhere that this is only talking about an older man raping a younger boy* .. and nothing about two adults of the same-sex having consent. *And that this can be the only type of same sex sex they could be talking about as they didn't know about two older adults having same sex sex back then. Or maybe this is just another ''paraphrase of a book written 3500 years ago'' (quote by mackalore, same love)

7. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's going to take quite some time. I mean, I believe that in certain parts of the world, mostly the West, people will be more accepting of LGBT. But I still think people will expect you to be straight and cis, because that's more common in the general population.

Maybe in a few decades coming out won't be such an ordeal, but it will still be a bit awkward.

#7 MCairo, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    personally i see it as always being a thing, its seen as normal to be straight so ones child suddenly going out with someone of the same gender would be news worthy to them. so coming out will probably always be required

9. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Ireland being gay is not seen as a big an issue as it was in the past. Particularly after last years marriage equality result.
    As one gay friend put it 'its taken all the excitement out of coming out.

If "good catholic Ireland" can end up like this, there is hope for the rest of the world.

10. RyFastForward

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I might reword the statement, if I may. Do you think that coming out will be such a horrid ordeal in the future, near or far?

11. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my relatively short life I've seen things get much better and easier for the lgbt population, so I think it is safe to say that things are only going to get better.

When I was a kid there were no gay characters on tv and hardly any in movies, now days obviously that has changed, now we can all get married and even have kids.

In my experience coming out has been nothing but a good thing. my only regret is that I waited so long.