1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could, would you change your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Calf, Mar 8, 2016.

?

If you could, would you change your sexuality?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. Maybe/ not sure

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Chocolate dipped banana

16 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was possible to change your sexuality, would you?
    If no - why not?
    If yes - why and what would you change it to?
    If maybe/ not sure - why?
    If chocolate dipped banana - you didn't understand the question, try again.

2. alextiago

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, sometimes I really wish I like girls and be "normal" to this society...other times I like being myself and Im ok with that...Im start teeling some people about me being gay..and feels so good when I tell!

3. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could not understand the question because I do not understand my own sexuality right now ^w^

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe

Yes - I sometimes wish I'm asexual so that I don't have a biological desire to be with people*
    No - Who knows what the side affects would be?

*Having even some gay people hate on you for being bi is just annoying. I've met more accepting straight people than some gay people.

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly my sexuality doesn't even matter to me. Dating as a trans person is difficult no matter your sexuality so I'm not even sure it would make any difference. Guys are hot so I think I'll stick with it.

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that's true. I think it's because for a lot of gay people its such an important thing to finally fit in with other gay people that it becomes a "you're one of us or one of them" type situation. So bisexual is seen as an in-between step because many gay people identify as bi first to test the water even though they know they're not really bi. Because of that some gay people or communities think that being genuinely bisexual is in some way betraying them. I know that because it was the view I shared in my community when I first came out.
    For straight people it is easier to accept because a bisexual person is 50% like them whereas a gay person is 100% not like them. There is also the idea that you're straight really, it's just a phase or fad, soon you can be normal again like the other straight people.
    So it's not right but it's not simple to fix.

7. Yes. I would love to be completely straight or lesbian. Why?

Every time something doesn't work out with one gender, I wouldn't have to get those "Should I change sides, because things don't work out with men?"thoughts? I envy how some straight and lesbian women wouldn't dare think or wonder about the other sex, because they don't desire it.

8. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's no problem with it. Its just me.

9. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good that you're feeling so positive about it now. Don't worry about being 'normal' it's the same thing as being boring.

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly my answer.

Not only would I be opposed to changing something that is so innate to me, doing so would give me no benefits whatsoever. Even if I liked girls more, frankly, I would not be better off.

On another note, wouldn't it be kind of bad if everyone was straight? I mean, the world is already overpopulated, so if every relationship could result in pregnancy... Well, just a thought.

11. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's honesty, I partly didn't think anyone would dare dare yes. I hope that you only think that in a hypothetical way though and it doesn't cause you too much confusion in reality. Not all men are alike and the same for women. A bad experience with one person shouldn't make you rule out potential happiness with an entire gender.

---------- Post added 8th Mar 2016 at 09:49 PM ----------

I don't think everyone would choose straight anyway. Being totally honest I think a lot of straight people would rather have a partner of the same gender, much easier to live together. I have a lot of respect for the way people in straight relationships manage to bridge the gender gap and tolerate each other. The bedtime activities must be amazing :lol:

12. QueerChair

I'm unsure of my sexuality, so it's hard to say. But... I would probably change it to lesbian, I'd say asexual but that'd probably change my life too much.
    Why lesbian? I don't actually know. I'd just rather be lesbian than whatever the fuck I am now. I'd rather be on one end of the spectrum or the other rather than somewhere in the middle, and me being straight just doesn't sound right. So lesbian it is.

#12 QueerChair, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have so much intellectual appreciation for being bisexual, I would never change. Yes, it is inconvenient at times; has its own challenges and difficulties. But it is also wonderful...I am open to all kinds of love!

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say "maybe/not sure" leaning more towards the "no" option. If you'd asked me a few years ago I'd have probably said yes, but these days I don't mind it so much. It has it's pros and cons. I think the main con being the sense of loneliness or "otherness" if you like. It's hard to beat this feeling of that I shouldn't be there when I'm with my friends. That is, when they talk about guys. Especially when they play that M.A.S.H game and I fear they're going to ask me to play and start drawing swirls which leaves me to either correct them or leave it and ignore it when it comes to the "who will you marry?" section. I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of correcting people like that, like it isn't my place. I just feel like the "weird one" in the room. Just sitting there, not joining in with such games.

Then there's coming out, which can be a hard thing to judge. Sometimes you come out to people who you thought weren't going to take it well, but they actually are really accepting, and sometimes you have it the other way round, other times you come out to someone and they can come out to you. It can really change a relationship with someone, positively or negatively, and sometimes it doesn't change anything. For some, you could mention something about a crush or something of yours and they wouldn't treat it any differently than if someone told them about their opposite-sex crush. Others, not so much.

Then there's the lack of information available and having to turn online for information. The slurs, the attitudes people have.

"Well I guess everyone has to fall in love, even the gay kind" "why are you gay?" "gay sex is pointless because you can't reproduce by doing so".

In our yearbook some kid won a joke award of "most heterosexual", and I heard people comment how "at least they didn't say homosexual, most people wouldn't take that very well- he might've been insulted". It's very much treated as a "second best" way to be.

People laugh hysterically at the word, mock it, make up chants. I know people used to make up chants about me in high school, despite my denial of being gay. They'd laugh when they'd ask if I was gay and I'd say no. "(my name) likes boobs" they'd say, over and over, and over again. Not exactly the most creative of chants, but as someone who was in the closet, having that being shouted at you down the corridor and in classrooms whilst trying to pass as straight was rather terrifying.

I guess the fact that I'd come out previously and had someone spit at me and lose my "friends" "respect" for me, it made me fear that it'd be the same in school. But actually, when I was outed it wasn't so bad for me. All people did was when they'd tease me about someone liking me, they'd say a girl's name instead.

I thought it was rather odd when I was about to leave school for good and someone shouted that some girl liked me. I only found out later from a friend that I had been outed and that most of the school knew. I'd left school at that point, so I didn't really care. My friend had a few more days of exams before they finished so they saw what happened unfold. I think I was lucky to have it happen when it did, I'm glad it didn't get out in mid term or something like that. That would've been bad.

It's almost treated as some kind of disability. "Hey, don't knock gay people! They have given many contributions to blah,blah blah" "I guess gay people are just like us after all". It's treated as if being gay instantly disqualifies you from being a good and productive, average member of society. Like it's impressive that we can do these things yet still be gay.

Now finally the pros. First, women. It feels weird for me saying "I'm not really into women", even to myself. I guess just because it's become something that just is. If I took this "magic cure" thing then I'd have to give that up. And I find it hard to imagine myself as being straight and being into men, or even bisexual for that matter.

Secondly, the community. I'd have to give up on my place in the community. Sure, I could be a straight ally but it isn't really the same. Being here on EC, and being with others like me has certainly helped me come to terms with things, and I finally have a group were I can fit in without bending my answers to questions to fit within the group. I guess I'm just so used to it now, all the terms and little things about the community. To turn straight now would feel weird. I'd have to relearn everything. It'd feel like losing a small part of me.

Dammit, what is it with my and long replies? This always happens. :eusa_doh: Sorry, I tend to have a habit of going on long rants and tangents. Hopefully I didn't bore you to much with my long winded sappiness. :grin:

15. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has taken me a long time to figure out my sexuality and it was difficult.
    I'm NOT going through figuring out sexuality in a whole new orientation again!

Besides I've just got to like me after years of trying to be someone else.

16. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honestly I'm gay and i always will be sometimes i wish i was heterosexual so i could be normal and releate to everyone else but i can't I'm gay and nothing can change that son embrace who i am!!!!

17. Ryu

Ryu

Chocolate dipped bannana for life.

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *me and my long replies. Not my. Damn typos. I probably missed a load more that I made, but oh well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#18 Canterpiece, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  19. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty okay with it now, so nah I wouldn't.

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I concur.

But to the question, the short answer is no I wouldn't. My gender identity and sexuality (or lack thereof) are a part of who I am now, and despite the pain incurred from them, I wouldn't change it 'cause if I did I wouldn't be the same person anymore.