1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told somebody off in Pogo today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Feb 15, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was in Pogo today minding my own business playing Lottso wasting away a Sunday afternoon when out of the blue this woman posts "Fox news just announced that Rosie O'Donnell was found face down dead." I saw that and my heart dropped and all I could think about was her partner and her kids. I went to CNN to see if there was something about it on there....nothing. So I came back and I saw that she had written....."she was on top of Ricki Lake." I was so pissed. :tantrum: I told her that joke was very offensive. Rosie has children. Then she wrote "Rosie has 'children' " Like what would that matter or her children don't count or something. Somebody else piped in and said she thought it was offensive also. Then she says "Oh come on....its funny! If you would watch something besides CNN you would think it was funny too!" WHAT???? Then she said that Rosie once said that she wished anybody that wasn't liberal was dead. OK, Rosie has said some controversial things but to my knowledge nothing like that has EVER come out of her mouth. We had a cat fight on Pogo. The other lady said Rosie has never said anything that made her feel threatened and to make fun of somebodies death was awful. The lady got mad and left. Grrr......why do people think something like that is funny?

2. pirateninja

You go, Becky! :eusa_clap

I don't know why people find it funny, they just do. Gay jokes can be funny, but when you take it to an extreme that you mock someone's death, it's just wrong. Kudos, Becky :grin:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beats me! I wouldn't find it funny either. Good for you Becky! :slight_smile:

4. Amy

Amy

Go Becky!
    That's so rude. :dry:

5. EM68

Some people are sick!

6. starfish

I cracked a smile. Yeah I know it was wrong, but in my defence I can be an insensitive bastard at times.

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Lol Im with Starfish. Rosie is not by ANY standards any DECENT role model or representation of anything rainbow related but believing something someone in Pogo.com said is kinda silly. Don't believe what people say. :slight_smile: Relax, dont take it so seriously. I see how you could feel about the kids thing though. Like Starfish said, "I can be an insensitive bastard at times."

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Why is Rosie not "decent"? She loves and takes care of her kids the same as anybody else. She does alot for children's charities. She has brought thousands of gay and lesbian parents and their children together on her cruises for fun in the sun in a safe and welcoming environment! She has worked hard on gay adoption in Florida. So yeah, I think she's waved her rainbow flag pretty proud!

Yeah, maybe I'm a a little gullible (and overly sensitive!) but I still don't think its appropriate to make jokes about anybodies death in a chatroom. Rosie or anybody else!

9. Emberstone

political correctness is not a bad thing, because people like this prove why we need to be respectful of each other and not trash or make poor taste jokes about someone just because they have a different life then ours.

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Everytime I've seen her on TV or passed a glance at her she just seems so tacky in what she says. I think THE best role model or at least representation for gay people is that blond lady with a talk show. I just forgot her name. Ellen Degenoras?

I still think Oprah's a faghag though. lol I think someone needs to come out...Not only would she be queen of half the world but then have sway over homosexual votes too. That woman is MONSTROUSLY powerful. If she ran for President there is NO DOUBT in my mind she would win HANDS down. And crush and stomp on you like a cigarette butt if you were her opponent.

11. Emberstone

Rosie can be very outspoken... and sometimes, I think her out spokenness can be counterproductive when she really gets going and her passions really come out.

But I agree, people need to remeber that love her or hate her, she is a human being, and should be respected as such. that joke was in poor taste.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Don't get me wrong. XD I wasn't supporting the joke. I was just stating my distate for the woman personally. I have nothing against her personally.

13. starfish

I don't think you are being over sensitive, I just think you are being sensitive and that is OK. You are an activist and a mother like Rosie. So it makes sense and I would even say expect that you would not approve of anyone making disparaging remarks toward her. However I am your antithesis. I don't have children and politically I am indifferent. Hell the past few weeks I have moved from indifferent to cynic. So it is not surprising that I would react differently.

Guess the point I am trying to make is don't hold anything against us that laughed or the one that made the joke. Because we do so out of ignorance and apathy. You are right to call us on it because as you said she is a person. I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone, but sometimes I forget that talking face on TV is a real person.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you know what they say. Don't wrestle with pigs. It just makes you as muddy as the pig, and the pig enjoys it. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Mickey

Good for you,Becky! I think the joke is in poor taste,too.
    I use to love Rosie. I do applaud her for all she has done for kids.
    I just think she needs to tone herself down a little.
    Her mouth is why people don't care for her,anymore. Her blogs can get really bad.

16. Greggers

Becky, i really needed that story right now :slight_smile:

I just had a bad experience, and just knowing AMAZING people like you out there would stand up for me makes me feel so much better about the whole thing (*hug*)

You are a wonderful woman.

17. Celestial

Celestial Guest

So lost here, I thought Rosie was straight???

18. Janvier

It's acceptable because she's poking fun at gay people.. :eusa_naug

19. Absentminded

Nope, she's not.

20. littledinosaurs

that is mean. :frowning2:
    but i actually don't understand the joke...