1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hipster...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Michael, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, EC... What do you think it is that creature called... Hipster?

What hobbies, fashion, music taste, etc tells you 'This guy/gal must be a hipster'?

2. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the hipster concept. Originally I thought it meant, basically, a contrarian. Now, it seems to denote a bunch of people with very specific tastes and appearances, right down to the clothes and hairstyles. So, really, pretty much the opposite of what the original definition was.

3. Psaurus918

I like being different.. I love craft beer, I like listening to music that's not popular, I prefer farm to table restaurants over chain restaurants, I prefer farmer markets... A lot of people consider me a hipster.

Although if I see someone walking down the street wearing certain clothes or weird beards or mustaches I think "look at that hipster"

4. timo

I wear big black glasses and skintight jeans and live in Kreuzberg Berlin so yeah some people would consider me a hipster

#4 timo, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I think of: thick-rimmed glasses, flannel, skinny jeans, laptops, Starbucks, organic, Whole Foods, underground music, beanies, tumblr, and absolutely nothing mainstream :wink:

6. AaronV

I live in Berlin, people think I'm a hipster by default. ^^
    Does the fact that I have a favorite coffee place that isn't Starbucks or that I own a cat-shirt make me a hipster? Maybe, but I think nowadays people will use the term for anyone who isn't mainstream or is too "proud" or outspoken about their cultural identity.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Silly notion, if you ask me.

I've been called a hipster before, but according to the apparent definition of one I don't match. Tis due to the fact that I'm extremely individualistic, I suppose.

8. Vav

Vav Guest

People consider me a hipster. I sometimes dislike mainstream stuff, but that usually happens because I get sick of stuff easily. I constantly hear people talk about Netflix, so that makes me not want to watch it. Even though I kind of enjoy some Netflix originals.

9. Ryu

Ryu

But everybody 'cool' also goes to starbucks, has a lap top and wears skinny jeans...

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if you try hard enough to shun *everything* with even the remotest sense of popularity, of course your available choices are going to be narrow enough to the point where you end up right back at the beginning as a conformist again.

I never met someone who was a full-on honest to goodness hipster, but it seems one might get the title by default if they just like what they like and don't worry about popularity or lack thereof.

#10 Argentwing, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My ex used to rag on and on about 'hipsters', citing them as entitled, lazy, PC, SJW, Liberal Arts Majors, with nothing to contribute to society and only wanted the government to do everything (from feeding them to giving homeless people shelter) without ever doing anything to help (including paying taxes because they purposefully go into fields that have no jobs).

His checklist went something like this:
    Liberal Arts Degree
    Complains about social issues
    Goes out of the way to buy local/craft/small business/farm-direct products
    Complains/protests about big business/harmful industries & practices
    Feels "entitled" to things like food, shelter, etc.

Whenever he started up on this and how much he hated hipsters I'd go through that lists like "check, check, check". Soooo... yeah.

12. Harve

OWN IT.

My Facebook name uses my real first name and my real surname so I'm not a hipster. That's the 2016 definition right?

But yeah, whenever I see 'hipster' it's almost exclusively ppl just complaining about them. Those who might qualify as one never really talk about whether they actually are one or not, so essentially there's not much self-identification.

#12 Harve, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This was my impression as well. Originally it referred to someone who went "against the grain", sort of a more modern, yet also a bit more bourgeois, version of a hippie. Then it came to refer to a very specific style: plaid, beard, thick-rimmed glasses, those horrible "beanies" that sag in the back...

Am I a hipster because I wear skinny jeans, listen to indie music, and study philosophy? Maybe in part. But I've never been able to easily pigeon-hole myself into one of these labels. Other labels like "nerd" can apply to me, and sometimes to my clothing style the word "prep" is more accurate. I just do what I do. If it happens to be "hipster" sometimes, then so be it.

14. timo

unless you're in Spandau. there's nothing hipster about Spandau.

:lol:

welcome back, this place needs more hipsters

15. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am the elusive, ever-changing, uber-unique post-punk-vegetarian-urban-hillbilly-furry-foreign-film watching-small-batch African coffee drinking-Thomas Mann reading-weed-smoking-ultra liberal-vintage clothing wearing-wine-loving-trickster.

But I don't have a beard. (Or a smart phone, and I've never used an app)

I am the one that Hipsters variously envy, scorn and make uneasy.

16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Sure there is a lot hipster about Spandau : Hipster's hell...
    Hold on : Spandau AND Reinickendorf... Come to think of it, they are berliner's hell, hipster or no hipster.

Berlin wasn't that hipster a few years ago, no fancy tech start-ups and loads of beautiful, special people. To me Berlin's hipster natural habitat is not Kreutzberg, it's P-Berg. There live the ones I'd call hipsters. Not many of them have interesting jobs.

Hipsters tend to be highly involved in gentrification for some reason.

Is to own a smart phone really that hipster, or is quite the opposite?

I think you are a Punk, on the 70s sense... You can hardly be hipster when you are into Punk : It's the antidote against all things hipster.

And fuck it... There is nothing hipster about Mann and/or Kurosawa.

I can see why you added the prefix ex-

There are way too many average, middle class folks with a liberal arts major, specially english, and from what I've seen they are the most mainstream, amused to death and high priced- cheap quality fast tech consuming, nothing special about them, they didn't even got what they studied. To me they are a bunch of skirts looking for a wallet. Not all of them, sure, but many, specially americans.

Don't know about you guys, but every huge, dense beard I see with lumberjack shirt and thick glasses, plus ridiculous trousers in yellow or pink, checking some pathetic profile on some even more pathetic social network, I think 'There goes a hipster...'

It seems hipster's definition also tends to change : Not so long ago to be into vinyl was seen as being either stinky rich or hipster. Now it's becoming more mainstream. Same as huge beards. Same as the next social network. I can still remember when Fa....ok was this elitist, exclusive social club where not everyone was allowed to sign up. Anyone remember that?

#16 Michael, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2016