1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone from England I need advice/tips!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by R M, Mar 10, 2016.

1. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay so before I start typing away, sorry for my horrible english.

My parents and I are planning on visiting England this year. We'll be going for 3 days to a week, around June/July. We want to visit London, but we're looking if we could go to an hotel not too far from London so it's less expensive. I get to pick what we could do while we're there. I was thinking of just going somewhere near London, and that we will just do different things and visit different places every day or two, including London.

My question is, do you know some fun activities/cool sights/attractions anywhere near London? I'm terrible at finding stuff like this, and was wondering if someone could help. I'd appreciate it a lot!!

Thanks in advance!
    hugs(*hug*)

2. eMei

All museums in England are completely free to visit - it would be smart to take advantage of this and pay a visit to the National History Museum for a fascinating trip across the ages.

Then of course there is Madame Tussauds, where you can see wax works of various national and international celebrities; how does an afternoon with wax Kate and Will sound?

London Zoo is always a safe bet, too. It's the oldest zoo in the world and is home to over 700 species of animals... I suppose it's always a help that it's fairly cheap to enter, considering what you're getting. If you choose to visit the London Zoo then I'd recommend making a day dedicated to this as there is just so much to see.

You'd guaranteed an amazing experience at the Tower of London, if you're interested in finding out more about our medieval history and seeing the crown jewels.

Definitely consider visiting our landmarks like the Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament - maybe take a ride on the London Eye for a beautiful view of the city.

I hope you enjoy your visit to England!

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, I am biased since this is where I live (when I'm not at uni that is). But at least I'm honest, eh?

The Chilterns are a great location to visit for their natural beauty, if you want to be able to find some rural, more old time-y English towns. Quiet, and undoubtedly with less activities to do than London, but whether that's good or bad depends what you're looking for.

A little to the west of the Chilterns is Oxford, and that's a very historic, aesthetically pleasing town- and ofc, home to one of the most renowned seats of learning on the globe :wink:

Closer to London but not really in it is Windsor Castle. Tickets are... not cheap, but it's a pretty cool place to visit, well, if you're into UK history and/or monarchy, or wanna get a good laugh from the stupid march of the Queen's Guard :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. rudysteiner

It depends on how near London, 'near' is, but (in London or just outside) you could visit the obvious London attractions i.e. Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, National Science Museum, Buckingham Palace, and then there's ZSL London Zoo, ZSL Whipsnade Zoo etc. If you're here for a week you could take a day trip to see Shakespeare's home in Stratford-upon-Avon, in London itself there's the Dickens museum (Dickens' London home), the Freud museum, there's loads to do. England is small enough really that you can hop on the train and be anywhere in 2 hours, so if you wanted to see the Beatles museum, you could come up to Liverpool, loads.

5. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks a lot for the advice! I've looked it up. There are alot of museums that I'm interested in going too and theyre all free! thanks again for that :slight_smile:. It would be cool to spend an afternoon with wax kate and will, but its a bit further away from the other stuff though, but maybe I'll visit. The zoo sounds interesting! I hope I my parents would like to go there too :slight_smile:. Thanks again!

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't forget Trafalgar Square either. :slight_smile: I haven't been London in ages.

#6 Canterpiece, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bring a brolly, you're probably gonna need it.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you do end up going to Liverpool, you could check out the Walker Art Gallery there. That is, if you don't mind nudity. I went there on a school trip once and I remember being immature with my friends about some of the statues and paintings there. :lol: Good times.

9. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you all so much for all the advice! I appreciate it alot!!!