1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(TRIGGERING) Does being addicted to prescription drugs make me a bad person?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Mar 11, 2016.

1. I'm_Danni_x

I have been feeling depressed, worthless and hopeless about my academic and personal future. A couple of years ago I used to take a few pills whenever I felt suicidal and frustrated or when my surrounding felt strange. Now I am totally dependent on them, however, i now try my best not to take them even though the urges are strong.

What's your opinion on this, do you agree it makes me a bad person? How do you define a bad person?

#1 I'm_Danni_x, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am no doctor and I've never suffered from depression, so my view on this is very limited. But I don't think this makes you a bad person, why would it? You have problems like everyone else and you're trying your best to solve them.

I'm sorry I can't really help you. All I can say is that you should seek professional help, if you haven't already, and I hope you can eventually sort this out.

3. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No it doesn't make you a bad person! The only mistake if at all you can call it that is that you aren't seeking medical help! You need therapy! I am a medical Student and I know the dangers of self medication. So please go to a professional and seek help. Find a person to confide in and take their help if you are too scared to go for therapy alone!
    Addiction is a neurotic disorder or just a neurological phenomena, it's not the fault of the person. There are two types of addiction psychological and physical. Both aren't a fault of the person and one shouldn't call them bad for being addicted to it ! :slight_smile:
    In short please go to a doctor :slight_smile:

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are NOT a bad person. You are hurting yourself though and you need to seek help.

Please get help.

5. narkissos

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    it doesn't make you a bad person in the least. It sounds like you are hurting and having a difficult time, but it does not make you a bad person at all.

I have also abused pills to get through the day, not as heavily as some but just to take the edge off and make things tolerable for a while.
    My suggestion would be to find a counselor, a professional that you could talk to in a safe environment who could help you. Some are also very knowledgeable about addiction and could help you find healthier and more effective ways to cope than your current method.

It's also admirable too that you are trying to taper back on your own, that is hard to do and it is something that shows you have a lot of willpower.

I guess I define a bad person as someone who willingly and maliciously sets out with intent to harm others by any means necessary and with no concern or remourse for those around them, and to me from what you have said with this you do not fit into that.

You aren't a bad person for this, some people may try to tell you that you are but you are not. (*hug*)

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This doesn't make you a bad person. It does mean you have a dependency issue, and you need help with it. Chemical dependency is not a moral failing; it's a combination of biological, psychological, and social (family of origin) issues. It is not a willpower issue or moral failing.

Admitting you have a problem is a big step toward getting it under control. I do strongly recommend getting help. If you're in school, talk to your guidance counselor and ask him/her to help or refer you. If not, reach out to your parents, or to friends who don't use for help.

If nothing else, you can start by attending an NA meeting. They have them in nearly every city in the world. They are very welcoming to newcomers and I can guarantee you can find help there.

And... stick around here. Having people who care about you, even if they are online, is a big part of helping yourself get better.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I...I'm honestly biased on this.
    My cousin is hooked on pain pills and actually ODed last month (didn't die but was rushed to hospital). And during that whole thing she was threatening to take the gun and shoot her mom, her two sons, and one of her sons friends. They then found out she had taken my aunt's card and used it to by drugs off people.
    And this isn't the first time she has stolen money from her mom with the time before this she stole close to $3000 and spent a few weeks in jail. She blamed everyone but herself for being there and has refused to change.
    So I see people like that and I immeaditly think she is a bad person.
    But at the same time I do realize that she has an addiction and addicts to not make good choices all the time.

So are you a bad person? Probably not. You are in a dark place and the drugs make you feel better. Can you make bad choices that will reflect badly on you? Yes you could.

Chip has given the best advice and I think you should listen to it.

8. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi that does not make you Anbad person at all I think your a awesome person drug addiction is A vey powerful thing that overtakes a person if not treated you should get therapy Or Rehab No one will judge you everyone does something in there life there not proud of take it as a learning experience!