1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone from *the UK* I need advice UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by R M, Mar 12, 2016.

1. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

UPDATE
    So I was talking to my parents today about all the places we could go and my dad said that we could also just go tour all around the UK for a week or two and visit different sights.

So Anyone got more advice for other places that are worth visiting in the UK? Like Stonehenge or something else in scotland or ireland or etc...?
    Thanks in advance (*hug*)

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    British Museum
    London Eye
    West end (Go to the theatre)
    The National Gallery
    London Dungeon
    Madame Tussaud's

#2 GlindaRose, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ All of these are good suggestions. I'd also add the Natural History Museum, which is great for it's architecture alone - even if you're not into dinosaurs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Certainly go to the theatre and see one of the West End shows - you won't regret it.

As for the rest of the UK - a lot of people love to go to the city of Bath while they're here. :slight_smile: I've never been myself but everyone I know who's taken a trip there (some on UK tours) say it's amazing.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, stonehenge is really boring. I mean if you're into history it'd be great because you get to hear how they're thought to have been brought there but otherwise, you're just looking at a pile of rocks.

I'd really suggest Cornwall/Devon if you can get that far, they're very touristy and a beautiful part of the country if you like beaches.

The Lake District is a must, again for the scenery and the walks.

Blackpool is practically tourist centre of England so it might be worth taking a trip there if you're going up north.

The above user mentioned Bath, it's a pretty city with a rich history (you have the roman baths there) so that might be worth going to.

It honestly depends on what kind of thing you're looking to do here - museums, famous sites, scenery? I don't know much about Scotland, Ireland or Wales though. The times I've been to Wales it's literally just been sheep and fields, all the stereotypes are true from my experiences. xD

#4 Aberrance, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly agreed. :frowning2: If you want to see it just to say that you've been that's fine, but it is rather boring. I think there is a small museum there now, but you can't go up to the actual stones - they are behind a fence.

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn really? I haven't been in about 5 years but they're really close to me so I heard they were doing work on the attraction, didn't realise you wouldn't be allowed around them though.

7. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks everyone for the tips. Im into history, science and art. But anything worth seeing is good for me. Idk if this wil be the only time ill go to the UK, so I'd like to see and visit as much as I can. Thanks again

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Come to Scotland! Although it will much easier to just fly say from London into Inverness if you want the Highlands or Edinburgh if you want the central belt, you can fly London into Scotland for about ÂŁ50 return with easy jet. We have a plethora of distilleries you can visit, a hydro power station that's build into a mountain, further up North you have amazing views on demand and not to forget the Loch Ness monster!

9. eMei

I would definitely recommend the city of Norwich, which is one of the oldest cities in the entire country. We have a beautiful Norman castle, gothic cathedral, royal theatre and the Centre for the Visual Arts - there is quite a growing tourism industry in East Anglia, so there certainly ins't a lack of things to do here. There are two large shopping centres in Norwich; the Castle Mall and Chapelfield, so if merchandise and an English shopping experience is what you fancy then look no further.

Or you could always visit the Norfolk Broads and the stunning village of Wroxham, which is one of the few places in the whole of England that has a running steam train. In case you didn't know, The Broads are one of our national parks and are a key attraction for tourists who are looking for a quiet, but well-cultured day in our county.

Personally, my favourite destination is Framlingham Castle. Framglingham is where Ed Sheeran is from, actually! :slight_smile:

visitnorwich.co.uk is a good guide if you're interested in visiting Norwich. Definitely consider Norwich! It might be a nice alternative to all of the famous, run of the mill places.

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Little café's in quiet places are always nice. Also, Cornwall is really great in the summer. There's a load of beaches, country roads and really pretty, quiet places, but there's also Newquay for shopping and pubs are always great for the evening.

11. tscott

Having studied and worked in London with family in Scotland, here a couple tips not to be missed:

* Take the train relaxing you get to see the beautiful countryside

* See the Tate - the Turners and Constables are not to be missed. It's right next to the National Gallery

* Near the Natural History Museum is the Victoria and Albert Museum with a brilliant collection including Raphael's Papal Tapestries

* You must attend a proper tea; splurge go to the Ritz or Fortnum and Mason

* No one mentioned Westminster Abbey or the Tower of London, so much history. Sadly, you won't find Oscar Wilde in the "Poets' Corner"

* City of York - there is so much richness there
    1. York Minster, "King of the Minsters" is the largest cathedral in England
    2. One of the few walled cities remaining
    3. Castle Howard on of England's grandest country houses and the inspiration for Brideshead Revisited

* Stirling, Scotland - this is Braveheart country
    1. Stirling Castle
    2. The Battle of Bannockburn, Battle of Stirling Bridge
    3. The Wallace Monument

#11 tscott, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  12. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely agree with this sadly. I once spent 4hours in traffic to get to Stonehenge and it was a major let down.

I love Cornwall, great food, beaches, countryside and some great garden attractions. Wales has some great castles and mining history. Also I agree York is a nice city with the old wall and lots of museums, it also happens to be next to the best city in the UK, Leeds, which is where I'm from. Along the east coast of Yorkshire there are a range of seaside destinations, from tacky touristy to historic all not far from York. The Yorkshire Dales and Lake District are full of historic towns and villages with tourist attractions from zoo's to castles to museums.

If you really like looking at real old history, check out the websites for national trust and English heritage.

There's so much to do in the UK but it's not as small as some people think so it's probably best to choose things close enough that you don't spend most of your time travelling.

13. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These things are a great visit and are very close together:
    Avesbury- Stone circle
    Stone henge
    Roman Baths at Bath
    Also if you want the classic British tearoom experience there are some very nice tearooms in Marlborough, a very pretty little town, that serve great tea and cake. I would recommend a walk around Marlborough for a couple of minutes as the buildings are very British and is an all round pretty town.

14. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thanks everyone!! I will def. keep these in mind :grin:

15. Harve

I've had friends come from the continent to Glasgow for a week without ever really leaving the city, and it's not particularly tourist-focussed compared to Edinburgh or York or parts of the Highlands. There's definitely loads of things to do, it depends what you're into.

The West Highland Line is the #1 thing in my region in my opinion.

16. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh really? I know some people living near Glasgow. Ill be sure to look into it, thanks!

17. 741852963

I'd really second Blackpool.

I'm sure it will be slagged off but you would have a really fun day there. Just go with an open mind and prepare yourself for an even tackier and very low-budget Las Vegas!

You have the Pleasure Beach which is great fun (and houses some of the oldest rollercoasters going like the Big Dipper, and also some fun newer rides like Valhalla) - certainly no Six Flags (if you want that try the UK's main theme parks: Thorpe Park near London or Alton Towers) as it is very cheap and cheerful, but a fun day out nonetheless.

Then you have the tower which is a bit of an oddity. It was inspired by the Eiffel Tower (again parallels to Vegas!) and is about half the height but worth a visit. And walking along the front there are loads of great places to get Fish and Chips and daft stuff like that.

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2016 at 04:07 AM ----------

Seconded. If history is a hobby I'd recommend the really historic cities:

Stirling, York, Bath, Chester, Edinburgh etc.

18. Rainbows~Exist

North Wales is pretty cool! Snowdonia national park is beautiful. How about hiking up a mountain? :wink:

19. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've asked quite the question! :lol:

The thing about London is that there is so much to do, especially if you're willing to do stuff which is off the tourist trail. Definitely visit the John Soane's Museum. It's not far from the British Museum. It doesn't look like much from the outside because it's in a terraced house, but once you're through the front door it's packed with art and antiquities. Oh, and admission is free!

Sir John Soane's Museum

There's also Pollock's Toy Museum, which is crammed full of wonderful old-fashioned toys from theatres to teddy bears to mechanical toys and all sorts from the Victorian era to the present day. I've only been once but I'll never forget it. It's a fascinating place. Their website seems to be a bunch of links to toy stores, but this link from Lonely Planet has details on the museum itself:

Pollock

If you like plants and gardens and things then visit Kew. There's a very small but historic Royal Palace there but it's most famous for its Royal Botanic Gardens which are beautiful and well worth the money to see.

Windsor Castle is a must if you're into history though it is a tourist destination. Similarly with Stirling in Scotland. Longleat Park in Wiltshire is famous for its safari park but also houses one of the world's longest hedge mazes:

[​IMG]

Do see the National Gallery.

Oxford is definitely worth a look even if you don't go into all the chapels. The Ashmolean museum there is excellent, as is the Museum of the History of Science:

Welcome to the Museum of the History of Science - Museum of the History of Science : Museum of the History of Science

#19 Hats, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I live near Brighton city. There's a sort of mini palace thing called the Brighton Pavilion which was built as George, Prince of Wales' (1811) seaside retreat and has an interesting Indian style like the Taj Mahal reflecting the strong colonial bonds with India at the time. That's historical. Also there's an area called "The lanes" sorta branching off a street called North Laine that has all sorts of awesome ecclectic independant shops that are awesome to search through.

Hmm... Oh! Chartwell is a good place to go if you're interested in History. It's in Westerham in Kent. It's Winston Churchill's family home. There are all sorts of interesting personal belongings, war artefacts, really interesting people actually ( we met one guy who works there who was 90 years old and knew so much about the war, Churchill etc), a little exhibition at the end, and there's a whole talk on his art. Oh and the grounds are good for a walk I think. That's History and Art down. Also for Art in London, there's the Tate modern... the only other gallery I've been to is the Turner in Margate, if you're interested in him or whoever's being shown at the time... last time I went there was a lot of Tracy Emin too she's from Margate. I do think Norwich was quite nice not that interesting though.