1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview Advice - Can you help?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connorcode, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I know it's not the usual thing put in Chit Chat but I thought I would ask the great EC community what to do, so I hope this post isn't too long.

This week, I'm going to interview for a social work position with a charity, working with disadvantaged (homeless, carer, mental health issues, etc) children 11-16 years old. It's one of the areas I've been looking at going into and I think this could be a great opportunity. The problem is that the work I've done before has been in an office environment (very much administrative / IT-based) so I don't have much experience of such hands-on work apart from volunteering at tourist attractions.

I don't know what questions to expect or how to best present myself for this work. I have received very positive feedback for previous interviews but I feel a bit in the dark about this one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

tl;dr: I have an interview for a social work position but I have little relevant experience, don't know what to say or what questions they could ask. :help:

2. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would guess the questions they'd ask are broadly the same line I go down when I interview people. Before I went to uni I was in management and the job needed people to be able to think on their feet, so I'd set a precedent and ask questions which backed them into a corner so to say and the only answer they could give would be the 'least worst option'. So if you get asked a question where you think there is no 'good' answer, just give the best for the circumstances.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't flat out say you don't have any experience with social work jobs.

Get a little creative with it :lol: Say how your IT-based job helped you with your organizational skills which could be applied to creating files for the people you would deal with for your social work job. You get the idea.

#3 HM03, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016