1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding A Place To Submit An Article

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ouroboros, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Ouroboros

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a writer and I have an idea for an article that I'd like to pitch to an LGBT/Queer focused website/magazine. The article will talk about Thomas Cannon, one of the first men to write in defense of homosexuality, over 200 years before the Stonewall Riots (often mistaken for the beginning of the LGBT civil rights movement), and how his essay started a long hard battle for LGBT rights. It will encourage people to learn about LGBT civil rights history and to delve a bit deeper in the past.

However I'm having some trouble finding a place that would be interested. All of the popular LGBT focused sites or sections of sites seem to focus on pop culture or what's happening now. 10 times Zac Efron made us melt with his hotness. 5 celebrities you didn't know were gay. Look at this couple being cute. Look at these hotties with their shirts off etc etc, Which is all fine and great but I don't think my article would be a good fit among those. So does anyone have any suggestions for where I could submit this kind of article? I'm trying to stay away from academic journals because I want the article to reach a younger audience, basically encouraging them to learn their history. And I don't think too many teenagers are scourging academic journals these days unfortunately.

Anyways, I appreciate the help. Thank you. :help:

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Somewhere like cracked.com?
    I know it is branded as a humorist site but it has loads of intellectual pieces - many of them historical. One of the problems there is that the majority of their stuff is list-based.
    I'd say that has a pretty young audience, though that might be more 25-35 than teenagers.

Example:
    6 Modern-Day Tech Advances (That Your Grandparents Had) | Cracked.com

I'll definitely read up about Thomas Cannon now - I have heard him briefly mentioned before - and would love to read your article when published!

3. AKTodd

i would suggest the Advocate. They are a more serious LGBT publication and often do articles on people other than pop stars and such. I've no idea how their submissions process works (or if they have one or only use self-generated content), but you can certainly find out.

Todd