1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buddhism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Capricorn98, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Out of all the religions I've heard of, Buddhism seems like the one I would be a part of if I was a person of faith (I mean no offense to other religions, I'm not well educated on these sorts of things.)

I only know the stereotypical stuff E.G. don't hurt any living thing, re-incarnation and finding peace. Is anyone on Here a Buddhist or interested in Buddhist and if so what does it take to be a Buddhist.

I'm probably not going to become a Buddhist but i do like what it appears to stand for :slight_smile:

2. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I also don't know a lot about buddhism besides the well-known parts, and I think it would be nice to incorporate some of those practices into lifestyle. Mindfulness is really important and there have actually been studies that show that meditation and mindfulness actually physically change the brain. I'm a health science nerd so I'm really into this stuff haha.

But yeah, I don't think I'd ever go so far as to convert to the religion. Coming from western societies, we tend to look at eastern religions and think about how peaceful and accepting they look, but there are a lot of components to them that are pretty dark haha. Like looking at the concept of hell in christianity - eastern religions have those aspects too, we just don't hear as much about them.

#2 Aerin, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buddhism is a wonderful religion. I had a few friends in Yuma who were Buddhist but it's been a while since last I spoke with them. I suggest that you read, maybe find a local temple and ask questions. I'm sure they'll be glad to talk to you. A lot of my beliefs mirror Buddhism including reincarnation...

4. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I also became interested in Buddhism a number of years ago. The ideas and beliefs behind it (and the lack of deity) appealed to me and I realised that a lot of them could be put into practise in everyday life. I wouldn't call myself a religious person though, just wanting something that helps to stop me being so quick to anger :wink:

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a Christian, but I have a deep respect and appreciation for Buddhism, one of the world's oldest, greatest and most peace giving religions. A good starting point for understanding Buddhism is the Dhammapada (a collection of sayings/wisdom from Buddha).

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Buddhism has always interested me, and I have been meaning to learn more about it. I'm not the type to worship any one deity or believe in an afterlife, but religion in general tends to interest me, especially Buddhism.

7. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are 3 types of major Buddhist branches: theravada, mahayana and Tibetan buddhism. There were some philosophical and practical differences between them but I can't remember exactly what. It's years since I read about this. Basically Dalai Lama is holy only to the Tibetan Buddhists. You could try reading up on the major branches on Wikipedia.

Maybe this helps you to the start.

8. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert on Buddhism but I would say that I admire your approach to religion. Read up on the Buddhist teachings and take from it whatever you want. Your faith and belief can be good and strong without subscribing to one particular religious belief or group. Some people might criticise you for not sticking to one religion or the other but don't allow others closed-mindedness to stop you finding your own way.

9. rudysteiner

I am a Buddhist. If you want to ask any questions, just post a message on my wall. :slight_smile: