1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think sex is meaningful?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rhapsodic, Mar 19, 2016.

1. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think sex has intrinsic meaning and value? Or is it just our society who imposes meaning on it?

If so, why? What do you think of one night stands and friends with benefits relationships? Are we abusing a part of ourselves that shouldn't be abused? Do you think the hedonistic pursuit of pleasure is wrong? Do you have any specific religious beliefs that influence your view.

If not, why not? Why do you think we, as a society, impose so much meaning on it? Do you think virginity is a social construct? What makes it meaningful for you?​

Just curious.

2. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We're capable of falling in love, and connecting with someone you deeply care for/love through sex is meaningful. To be with that person in that way, completely exposed, is a very special experience that is just so much better when there is love present.

However, I think its okay for sex to be meaningless. It can be simply for pleasure. I don't see why it can't be, as long as it's being done safely. I don't think it is wrong.

Virginity, yes, I think it's a social construct. Especially for same-sex relationships, but also for straight relationships. Why does society impose so much meaning on sex? That's a good question, and I'd like to hear what other people have to say about it. I've honestly never really thought about it.

My first thoughts would be that historically, having sex came with a high chance of pregnancy. If a woman had sex and became pregnant, it made her personal affairs public. Parenting without a husband in the past would have been practically impossible for many. Single parenting is difficult today, but back then, when a woman wasn't able to work and had few rights, it would have been devastating.

There are less consequences of sex for men, which is why I think there are different implications of it for men as compared to women. I think that virginity had to be highly valued in order to ensure that society properly functioned.

There are less risks and less consequences today. There is no longer a logical, functional reason for abstaining from sex until marriage, besides having a religious reason.

That being said, it still takes a lot of courage for most people to be so intimate with another, so that isn't something that should be treated lightly.

#2 Aerin, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think sex has intrinsic meaning and value? Or is it just our society who imposes meaning on it?

Yes, I believe that sex does have intrinsic meaning and value. That is, I believe it to be the highest form of intimacy which should be reserved for a close romantic partner - preferably within marriage. As for society, it certainly can influence us, but I think that largely society favors the idea of casual/non-marital sex and disdains the former.

If so, why? What do you think of one night stands and friends with benefits relationships?

Honestly, I'm an old fashioned romantic on this one. I believe in one lover, who should be loved intimately and with absolute loyalty, and for who alone sex is reserved. That said, I have "less polite" opinions on the idea of casual, flippant sex or hookups.

Are we abusing a part of ourselves that shouldn't be abused? Do you think the hedonistic pursuit of pleasure is wrong? Do you have any specific religious beliefs that influence your view.

I think we certainly have the potential to abuse ourselves, and in a very serious way. Sex has consequences. Personally - and many may disagree with me - I think there is more to life than the pursuit of pleasure.

As to my beliefs, I uphold Christianity as well as some Buddhist values.

If not, why not? Why do you think we, as a society, impose so much meaning on it? Do you think virginity is a social construct? What makes it meaningful for you?

I cannot answer for society, only that mankind has always chased after pleasure - often to our own demise. On virginity... I find the symbolism poetic and meaningful. I think virginity is something to be proud of, not condemned. Particularly if the aim is to save oneself for a life-mate, it is something of a 'sacred union' when two virgins come together and all they have is one another. It creates a unique bond, perhaps.

These are just my personal "ideals" of course. I do not presume to tell others what is "proper" for them to hold to. To each his own, yeah?

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it can be special and meaningful, but it can also be meaningless and casual. To me this is just a personality thing, for example, personalities can be more detached and more sentimental/clingy, so different kinds of sex are suited for different kinds of people. It is wrong to say one way is the right for all human beings as sex is personal and up to you.

However, even though sex is a bit meaningful to me, I think virginity itself is a harmful social construct. It is defined very strictly in our culture- penis in vagina sex only. This means that same sex couples (especially lesbians as anal sometimes gets a free pass) are robbed of a special milestone, as well as rape victims of any sexuality. It also gets you judged- being called a worthless slut for non-virgin women, and a loser/pansy for virgin men. Not to mention the historical past of it being about property. My dislike of virginity is complete separate from any feelings of sex being special.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Meaning" is a human abstraction. As such nothing is inherently meaningful. It has to do purely with what "meaning" you as an individual human ascribe to a particular act.

tl;dr version - it's only meaningful if you think it is.

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's meaningful if the people involved are in love. It's meaningless if it's casual.

Personally, I could never be intimate with someone I didn't love but to each their own.

I agree with Loli21 on virginity.

7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Depends on the person, I suppose. It can be meaningful even between strangers, and meaningless between those in love, depending on the circumstances.