1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do some people think it's a choice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silverdeer, Mar 21, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly I just don't get how they think it. :eusa_doh:

If someone brought it up to me I would say 'Oh really? How about you try to make yourself attracted to the same sex and not the oppisite magicly.'

2. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people think it is. And then I ask them if you could, could you be attracted to your same sex. Which their response is no. Then I ask Why not, you said it was a choice meaning you could get erect for either Sex, right?

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because they literally cannot conceive of someone being legitimately attracted to the same sex, so they assume it's just a decision made to be weird or rebel against the (wo?)Man.

4. anonymous cat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is the most true thing I've ever read...

5. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminds me of a quote, "but we are frightened at much that is not strictly conceivable." Essentially reiterating what Argentwing said - they literally cannot comprehend it, so the natural reaction is to assume that it simply "cannot be."

A lot also has to do with prejudice and narrow beliefs about things (such as gender/sexuality) being drilled into their head all their lives, for many people. So the notion that "being gay is a choice" becomes not only the popular and "easy" option to believe in, but the most familiar. And people don't often deviate from what is familiar amd comfortable to them, unless forced.

If someone were willing to actually think logically about it, they'd soon see the absurdity of such a claim.

#5 Kodo, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homophobes would make themselves look bad if they discriminated against people whom they knew had no choice, so they deny that there's no choice. A common homophobe argument is "I hate it when people compare us anti-gays with racists. Black people don't have a choice! Gay people do!"

When people say it's a choice, I bring up the struggles I used to have where I literally tried to turn myself straight, and ask how I couldn't turn myself straight if it really is a choice. I have yet to get an answer.

#6 Tritri, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  7. guitar

Because they haven't spent more than 3 seconds doing any sort of rational thinking about it.

8. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pretty much this. For some reason it's so hard for most people to accept same sex couples; and I guess I could see where they're coming from (to an extent). If I saw a lion and tiger mating I'd think it was somewhat odd, but they're both cats so I'm liable not to petition or make a big deal out of it. The real question is, why do they care when chances are same sex couples have nothing to do with their own occurrences in life?

9. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's simply that their mind isn't wired to see things that way... For us we understand that concept/reality and can move through that landscape without a hitch and I've run into this since I've been out to everyone... well, mostly everyone. Yeah, it still boggles my mind. It's like trying to see the world through Chirstopher Walken's eyes.... He just doesn't breathe the same kinda air we do... LOL!

10. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because they have the critical thinking ability of a flea?

It doesn't take that much imagination to consider that heterosexuality and other sexualities are parallels. If you do not choose heterosexuality, then it follows that you do not choose homosexuality.

Some people, however, require that it be a choice to take the blame of it off God. In their belief system, God doesn't make mistakes, so if homosexuality comes about from anything other than a personal choice, it would be a mistake on God's part. Therefore they must believe it's a choice.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it all comes down to them believing you can repress those feelings and force yourself to be with the opposite sex. It really does not matter whether it is a choice or not it is all about repression and they are right in that sense it is a choice whether or not to act on those feelings.

I will never understand the need to control over people's lives. The best argument I think you can make is that why it is a big deal what people do in their own lives. You can have your beliefs and do what you want in your life and should not be worried on how other people live their lives or even if you think they are gonna go to hell or not. If it was simple but it is not obviously for some people.

#11 dano218, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They don't experience it, so they don't believe it exists. Add the fact that gay people make up a small percentage of the population, and there are lies out there, like being abused or having bad experiences with the opposite sex make you "turn" gay, and yeah! They don't have motivation to change their ways, being supported by others who think the same...

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is interesting too, though, because you can take the blame off God without requiring it to be a decision on the part of the person either. Some might believe it is the influence of the devil, or simple separation from God. But then again there are plenty of religious followers who are LGBT and have found peace in both elements. The people who insist then that you can't be one sect or another and be gay are using the "No True Scotsman" fallacy at that point, because it is a simple matter of interpreting the same sacred text.

14. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You can choose whether to act on your feelings or not.

15. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, we have a saying here which says something like that the one who is full doesn't believe the one who's hungry.

16. Nikky DoUrden

Wow The Onion pro-LGBT thats nice and funny article as always :grin:

17. AssumedStraight

I've asked Dad and he blamed it on bisexuals :confused: I don't even wanna know what he watched too much of.
    And of course we have the "proud Christian ex-gay" stories about 'finding true direction' lol

18. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It beats me. Why anyone would be an outcast, part of a minority and shunned from some parts of society by choice really makes no sense. I suppose people that are born into the majority (e.g. heterosexual, cisgender) never have to question their identity and don't go through the process of questioning whether they're something else, so they don't see why other people do.

Like others have said though, no one asks a hetero person "how did you know you were interested in the opposite sex?" so why is it any different for someone of a different sexual orientation. Yeah, I don't get it.

19. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an older bisexual relative who thinks it's a choice. Kind of strange.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I could see why they would think that, but it seems rather hypocritical, considering how much more bisexuals get told the same thing...