1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of the word neogeek?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

It's a word my friend coined. It means someone who is into geek culture. Some examples of geek culture would be video games, tabletop games, anime, comic books and cosplaying. Do you think that's a good word? Any better idea for a better word? I like this word because I can say I'm a geek/nerd, but not a neogeek. It's way easier than saying I'm a bit socially awkward and I like psychology, sociology, anthropology and physics, but I have no interest in comic books, anime or video games.

#1 Vav, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How is it any different than a regular geek? To be "neo" it has to follow some new paradigm not covered by the original word.

3. Vav

Vav Guest

Neogeeks are people who follow geek culture. They don't necessarily have to be obsessed with niche topics, be intellectual or socially awkward.

Geeks are people who are obsessive about one topic in an intellectual way and socially awkward. They don't have to follow geek culture. A lot of people fit both definitions.

It's also a way of having useful social categories. Since neogeeks are into geek culture, they can talk about geek culture, do mainstream geek activities together and watch geeky movies together. They will all have mainstream geek culture in common.

If a neogeek and a physics geek are together they won't really have stuff to bond over. The physics geek is mainly interested in physics and the neogeek is mainly into comic books they will have a harder time getting to know each other. I'm not saying they can't. It's just the same as a neogeek making friends with a jock. I don't think geeks are always have stuff in common just because they're geeks. Unless they're neogeeks.

I guess most people just use the word geek to describe neogeeks. If they want to set themselves apart from neogeeks they will use terms like computer geek, art geek or psychology geek. I could do that as well, but I really don't feel knowledgeable enough in one topic to call myself an expert. I'm still undoubtedly geeky and the geeks still find me. They just expect me to be a neogeek when I'm not.

#3 Vav, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I can dig it. It's the difference between someone who debates the finer points of Starfleet policies vs. someone who watches The Big Bang Theory. But as one who has little choice but to claim the regular "geek" label, it seems like being described as such might not be that great, like there interest(s) are shallower in comparison.

#4 Argentwing, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk because geek, like nerd and dork, can have a different meaning depending on the person who uses it and/or the person the word is attached to it.

As in your example of a physic geek, I also call that a physic nerd. Both of which I call my brother on the daily.

So mostly you are saying that your friends have made another niche in the geek/nerd group. Because there are countless forms of geeks, so there are many geek subcultures. But to an outsidee they only see one collective mass of geekdom

Also, I do know jocks who are also geeks as in the love video games, anime, etc etc

#5 Matto_Corvo, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  6. Vav

Vav Guest

Not exactly. It's more like a subculture. If you're part of the geek subculture you could still be a physics or Shakespeare geek. It's also possible to be part of a completely different subculture and still be a literature geek.