1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

What are your opinions on it?

I think its fun, i write it :grin:

If you dont know what it is, its basically stories fans write about things like...musicians, books, TV shows, actors, etc.

Anyone?

2. pirateninja

I love it too :grin:

I write some South Park ones at times. It's fun, but with fanfics you have to be prepared to wade through a lot of crap (in terms of plot, writing style and basic punctuation and spelling) to get to some really talented writers. I mean, anyone thinks that with some great characters, they can write a great story. But other than that, I'm a great fan of fanfics, and read far too much of them, I think. :grin:

3. MusicIsLife

xD as do I. I read harry potter and musician fanfics, but i write musician ones, i cant bring myself to write harry potter ones.

& you're very right, there is a TON of terrible ones out there.

4. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote extremely bad Harry Potter fic when I was 11, and I write the occasional piece now (not Harry Potter, though), but I don't really read it much. Some of what I find just makes me want to stab my eyes out.

5. jazzrawr

I must admit, I love it. XD
    I read far too much of it for my own good. I've written a few pieces too.
    But I do agree, you do have to wade through some crap stories to get to the well written stuff. But I've read some amazing fanfictions.

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I wrote one once but that was almost a year and half ago. I will never write another one due to issues one author had. A fan had written a fanfic and threatened to sue the author for "stealing" her ideas...even though the property was hers. (They were both women) The publisher didnt want the lawsuit so the book got cancelled. The fanfic author wanted to be made co-author and the publisher/book author would not have that. And also, thanks to that, the entire quadrilogy of it had to be scrapped due to some obsessed fan.

7. Davey

I used to write fanficiton all the time and actually have an account on (FanFiction.net) with a few stories. I kind of died out of it when school started back up its kind of a summer thing. I write for ONE TREE HILL and I have one for TWILIGHT up as well. They are all homosexual themed lol.

8. Jeimuzu

I used to write ages ago. =/ Was a bit rubbish but I did have a 38000 word story kicking around somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Amy

Amy

My Immortal

That's all I'm gonna say...

10. Jeimuzu

Argh did you have to?

11. Amy

Amy

Yes. :grin:

12. Emberstone

I started writing with fanfiction. Now I am working to find a agent for a original work, which is the first in a planned series *i have roughdrafts for the 2nd and 3rd book, and im a month or so away from a rough draft of the 4th.*

I just got tired of writing in another authors world.

I have had good responces from agents, who think the story is marketable. They just have recommended a few areas of edit. I have yet to find a agent who thinks it is marketable, and has the time to take on the first book, or is what they represent.

13. I enjoy fanfic but I don't read much. I have dabbled in writing it, but never published any of it online.

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some of it deserves respect, most of it doesn't. For example, I have not read a single damn Sonic x Shadow x Harry Potter x Mega Man fanfic that has any literary value. But I'm sure there are some people with real talent who I'm just not picking up.

15. Bunny

I'm very very picky, so there are few fanfics that appeal to me (and a lot of garbage to go through to find them).

My standards are especially high after reading a masterpiece like Impaired, the bestest Silent Hill fanfic ever, and unfortunately one of the only ones worth reading at all. xD

16. lordjord96

i do it sortof in my own time.......but its not something that i would do for a project at school (its ok).

17. HeronsStorm

Psh, I am so insanely guilty it's not even funny! I dabbled in it when I was, like, eleven. I wrote three of epic'ly horrid proportions, but now I'm not half bad a writer. I have about two good stories drifting in the 50,000's range, so, ya. Thing is I go through little spurts where once I find a fandom I like to find all the pictures and fanfiction. The trouble is with this new one... THERE PRACTICALLY IS NONE. I'm serious, There is TWO good authors with SIX stories together among ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN cruddy ones. Including mine. So if I ever want to read about my OTP I have to write it myself. Oh well.

It helps me with my grammar and spelling which is very good. Trouble is, now that I've started writing a lot (like, any free time. I once typed 12,000 words in one day when I was sick) my reading level has decreased, and now when I sort through to read anything, all I find is CRUD. Seriously, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. So I've almost completely given up reading for now, just writing.

That was probably longer than it needed to be. (!)

18. Remington

Sweet, I write it too.

I don't have a lot of time to anymore but I try to keep my stories updated.

I use it to keep my writing skills in check. And because it's fun. C:

Right now I'm obsessed with the Life with Derek fandom. That'll probably change though.

#18 Remington, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've written some. It's on fanfiction.net if you're really interested. I enjoy the process. I compare it to putting chessmen on a chessboard, and then seeing how you can move the pieces around. It's a fun pasttime.

Three things I'm not crazy about in the world of fanfiction:

* People who are more interested in saying "I'm writing" than in writing, if that makes any sense. I've run into people who are "working on an eleven-part, one-hundred-twenty-eight chapter epic", but who can't maintain reader interest for a paragraph. You might say they're more quantity than quality. I'd rather read one killer two-page story than a full-fledged epic that isn't really done.

* People who take the characters too far from the original source material, especially without TAKING the reader there. If you have to explain at the start of your story that, in the Pokemon fanfic, Ash is training to be a wizard, and he's been turned into a female dinosaur by a competing wizard, and now he's stuck on a distant planet with a gorilla sidekick... It's not that a good fanfic could be written about that. But start with what we know - Ash - and take us there. Write about him deciding to become a wizard, and how he got into an argument with the other wizard, and how he met the gorilla.

I've never run into the Mary Sue thing, myself. But it's funny to think about. :slight_smile:

Lex

20. Um, yeah. A lot.

Hmm... Outsiders, Harry Potter, Twilight, West Side Story, and--yes, I know-- Shakespeare.

(And I manage to make gay pairings in most of them...)