1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do lesbians admire male artists the same way gays do female?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Driftr

I know a lot of gays admire and idolize strong female artists (who are also allies) like Lady Gaga, Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Lana Del Rey, Janet Jackson etc. Gays make up a significant portion of their fanbase. We tend to connect to their music better because we understand their point of view of loving and being attracted to guys

I was wondering is it vice versa for lesbians? Are there any strong male artists (who are also allies) that lesbians connect to? I can't really think of one off the top of my head. Or is it because not enough popular male artist openly show support to the LGBT community?

I'd love to know if any lesbian, or bi female here can fill me in on the musical scene a little lol

2. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Uhm. Well, my choice of music suggest that there aren't really any male artists I admire in the same way that gays admire females. But.. I have felt a strong connection to a few Justin Timberlake songs, I guess! I think he is awesome. And to a few rock songs that are about women as well, like Paradise city and Sweet child of mine. But.. a lot of music about women - especially from rappers - doesn't really appeal to me because I feel like the women are sexualized and objectified in it too much.. and I feel like a lot of male artists do that either in their lyrics, music videos or in both.. It makes me feel uncomfortable. But I have no problem with watching female artists dance around in skimpy clothing in their music videos, lol.

Oh, and I guess I don't really relate to male artists apart from their feelings for women. But that just may be a more personal thing. I still feel more of a connection to female ones.

#2 Loveislife, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. AssumedStraight

Nope, I don't think so. There are few male artists that I like, but nothing major.
    My Idol, however, is a lady that has a huge gay base! Interestingly, although plenty of men, there are clearly lots of lesbians too. And of course straight people haha :icon_wink
    All 80s for me :thumbsup:

On Twitter a lot of lesbians seem to adore Lady Gaga (so do gays) and Fifth Harmony (Camilla and Lauren, nuff said)

4. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I guess I listen more to the artists that appeal to lots of gay males, too. But I know some lesbians who are really into rap and rock music and the artists in those genres are usually male.

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean, I like rock and there are plenty of male artists I like... but I also have a knack for scouting out girl bands that become some of my favourites... Savages, Bikini Kill, Scandal, Number Girl has an epic female guitarist etc. hmm... I loooove the Rage Against the Machine guys, Hendrix, Bowie, Cobain, James Hetfeild, Clarence Clarity. These guys I love their music, their story etc. and I'm inspired by them, as a musician. And Bowie's crazy style and flare as well. I've followed Steve Vai's guitar learning advice religiously in the past he was like my guiding force. Outside of guitar stuff... I love Eminem for his flare and his mix of emotional and comedic lyricism - I have a picture of him as my computer user icon. Oh in rap Kendrick Lamar is a god. But I'm not sure I really idolise any of these guys. I don't get quite as obsessed, I don't quite want to imitate them and I listen to girls more haha. I do have periods where I just want listen to everything Eminem though - he's probably the greates contender, though I sure don't want his life. My greatest idol will always be Shiina Ringo (see my avatar). Generally, I definitely idolise girls a lot more... This thread is sort of making me want to go Bowie crazy and like, find out everything about Clarence, though.

6. Driftr

Lol yeah. I love Fifth Harmony and I honestly don't blame any lesbians for shipping "Camren" lool. I swear sometimes I think I might be a little bi and all five of them have had me questioning just a little. Especially in the "Work From Home" video.

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not lesbian, but you already know what I think about Lady Gaga and her shameless appropriation of my culture (which got banned here because I know it's a very comfortable topic to discuss)

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2016 at 01:31 PM ----------

Back on topic: No, I don't think they do. Unlike most gay people, they embrace people who actually represent them, like Xena The Princess Warrior, Ellen Page, Kristen Stwart etc

9. Burnedcloset

LOL. I don't think a lot of lesbians would go around screaming "yaaaaaaaas King YAAAS, slaaaay!"

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a few drag kings who have performed as certain icons.

11. cakepiecookie

:lol:

Yeah, I haven't noticed the opposite equivalent in lesbian culture. I mean, I personally love a lot of male artists, but I find that lesbian culture is more about following actual lesbians/lesbian-themed things.

12. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a wild theory that its sort of to do with different struggles gay men and gay women go through. Gay men are pressured by other men to be more traditionally manly, and so part of accpeting themselves is deciding that they don't need to live up to that standard and therefore idolising some women. Gay women are held to a feminine standard for the purpose of pleasing men, which they don't even want. This makes them identify with feminists and rebellious women who similarly have decided that they don't want to please men. They don't look to men because they're sort of trying to avoid them, whereas women aren't really chasing gay men around and judging them (I'm talking more historically here, for any guys who think I'm accusing them of judging lesbians). And engaging in the feminist dialogue encourages them to find strong female icons who have taken "mens' roles". Combine this with actually being attracted to women and you can see, why would we be looking for male idols?