1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about short responses?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Mar 26, 2016.

?

How do you feel about short responses?

1. I hate them

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. I usually give short replies

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. No opinion

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. lovetoomuch

I am someone who cannot stand short responses over text, especially with dating sites. This is likely due to my confidence issues, but if someone responds with short messages, I automatically assume the person is not interested. To me, short responses essentially say, "I don't have time to respond thoughtfully to you."

Maybe some people are just bad at communicating through text or maybe the person just doesn't care enough to think about a response, but it really bothers me... especially when I send someone decent sized messages and it looks like the other person is making no effort.

Sorry for the rant, but how do you feel about short replies? Do you also usually give short responses? Why, if so?

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In general I can't stand short responses either: it says to me that the other person isn't fully interested or engaged and it makes me feel as if I'm wasting my time. If a person gives nothing but short responses to me, I am probably going to stop talking to them.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ask open ended questions that dont allow short responses

5. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel the same way about people who sent short responses sometimes. I would like people to have longer responses, as it shows that the person took time to respond to you. However, I am optimistic and just suspect that the person is probably busy. When I send shorter e-mail responses to my friend, it's usually not because I'm not interested, but because I really don't have time. I might me doing homework, researching for science fair, reading, etc.

Some people are just like that due to habit, and they probably don't think it's an issue at all. Everyone is different in responding, so you just have to accept that.

I hope this reply helps in any way. Have a memorable day. :icon_bigg

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually meant to add to this, but the internet glitched and deleted it. How ironic.

Personally I'm one to give long answers, but oftentimes I use a lot of words where a more skilled person could use a few and get the point across. I think it depends on the circumstance. If the poster gives a short response, but an apt one, then good on them. As long as they thought it through. On the other hand I tend to appreciate longer and more thorough responses, especially in response to a thread I started or a question I posed.

It's intriguing to me to read longer responses, and proves that the person put a lot of effort into what they wanted to say. And it's more information. Who doesn't love more information?

7. Delta

It really depends on the nature of the conversation. If we're picking where to eat dinner, whatever, it's really not at all a big deal. If we're arguing and I need you to actually particiate, I'm going to make you participate.

8. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly don't care

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tend to give short responses, and I don't mind if the other person does so. I'm not very talkative; if there isn't much to say, why bother with a long, flowery reply?

Fortunately most people who I talk to already know that about me.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand it in school when we are told to write 4 pages on a topic that only needs a page and a half. I write so many essays that have so much fluff in them. I don't like the idea of writing something long for the sake of writing something long. If I have a lot to explain, then I write a long response. If I can explain it just as well in a sentence or two, then I write a sentence or two.

11. AlamoCity

Short responses are ok if you already know the person and are or have a relationship with them, be it familial, platonic, or romantic, because you have the opportunity for in-depth in-person communication.

On a dating site, you're trying to meet a new person to potentially date and without talking on the phone texting written messages is the only way to get the ball rolling, so the initial value of those texts is very important. At the very least, if the person has any interest in you they should make the effort to send a question back or create a pathway for the conversation to evolve and potentially lead to other forms of communication.

12. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I respond to everything in the greatest detail I can. I get carried away. And yep, there's nothing that I hate more when this isn't reciprocated. When I write them a whole paragraph and they respond in a 3 word sentence. And when I ask purposefully open-ended questions and people give the most basic like, one word answer they can. It's infuriating. Absolutely awful.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do think it depends on the message. If it's something that only needs a short answer, fair enough. But if it's something that needs lots of detail, no point in being vague, it's just annoying.

14. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on the conversation. I'm fine with short responses if it fits the situation, but if I write a long message or ask questions that obviously require a more well developed or detailed response, and the other person just gives a half assed reply it is pretty frustrating. If it happens just once in a while I can deal with it, but if it's a recurrent thing I'll get fed up. It makes me feel like I'm bothering them, and I don't like to feel that I'm putting more effort in other people than they are in me. Just makes me want to tell them to fuck off lol

15. Duande

I don't really care if people respond to me with a short or long text. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I assume that if they answer with a short text, and at the same time, don't ask me anything in return, they are probably just not that into it :slight_smile: For whatever reason. Then I simply stop talking to them :slight_smile:

#15 Duande, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  16. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually give short responses.
    But it depends on what the other person asks or says depends on how long my response will be.

18. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sort of gives me the feeling they're saying... "Yeah, whatever" when they're answering like that.

19. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on if it gives me anything to work with.

Short questions or sentences that give me something to comment on are fine. But aha yeah, kk, *gif*, and similar answers annoy me, and I might not reply back if it happens too much.

#19 HM03, Mar 27, 2016
  20. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on how much I have to say, but personally I don't have the patience to read super long responses unless I'm really into the topic.

#20 butHitlerisDead, Mar 27, 2016