1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else out there with low self-esteem?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Duande, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Duande

Hi!

I am new to this site, so I wasn't sure about where to put this topic. Sorry about that :slight_smile:

I'll try to express my problem briefly. The queer community in my hometown is not very big. I've got the feeling that most lgbtq-people have seen each other's faces before, if you get me. And I am currently trying to meet someone special. :slight_smile: (Aren't we all)? Lol. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that I have been rejected. A couple of times. Both when I have been going out with my friends, and online. Nothing major has happend, really. I have just gotten rejected. I know I should suck it up, but since the queer community in my town is kinda small (I feel), I've got the feeling that nobody likes me.. That there are rumors going around about me. Because I got rejected by a couple of girls. I have never heard any rumors though. But my low self esteem doesn't want me to be okay, apparently.. I know I should just give a damn, but I guess I just care to much about other people's opinions. It's so embarrassing. I guess the only good thing is that people tell me that I am very pretty.. And I now I am not the only one getting rejected.. But still. I feel so embarrassed to go out at the local gay/lesbian bar with my friends, only because I fear that people will recognize me and probably laugh at me...

Does anybody have any advice for someone like me? To help me get over this? A reply would be so much appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Iowan1976

I too suffered from self-esteem issues for many years. I was bullied in school growing up and bullied at home by my dad who claims I was not "masculine" enough.

I do not know about your situation, but what helped me is that I moved to another town...about an hour away from where my family is from. I got a job there and basically totally uprooted my life and started over. It was a very difficult decision to do, but I had to do for my sanity. I then slowly ended friendships that were toxic for me.

I then also spend a lot of time in my new place alone at first. I needed to get to know me and be comfortable in my own skin.

It took time to build up my self-esteem and rebuilt my life, but I had to get rid of the negativity in my life. I had to.

I hope these helps.