1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the LGBT community fit into religion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PANictime, Mar 27, 2016.

1. PANictime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the time I hear people talk about how everyone are sinners and go against all things God/the Bible teaches, but is that true? I don't believe so, but I want to hear somebody else's opinion .

2. guitar

There's a free book on Google books called Dear God by John Goode. Highly recommended reading if you're interested in this topic. It's written in a conversational style between a gay teen & his master. It's only about 15 pages or so.

3. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We're all sinners, that's what makes us human since we make mistakes but saying someone is going to hell just for being apart of the LGBT+ community is very hypocritical. Going by the basic of the bible says that we shouldn't judge others and love one another not hate. The people who say it's against the bible are usually just cherry picking things from it to fit their own opinions and usually don't like things to change. Some religious people are more accepting than others, but some are just very bitter about life and are the type you shouldn't listen to. So to me, no that is not true, but everyone has different opinions and as idiotic they may be I argue with them since that would be a waste of time to argue with the bull-headed.

4. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which religion would people say is the most friendly towards the LGBT community, or is that not a question that can be easily answered?

5. linocall

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say that no religion is completely supportive of the LGBT community, I have met many homophobic people in my time at catholic school, although I also have an awesome R.E (Religious Studies) teacher who refused to do the coursework as it said that love was between a man and a woman :slight_smile:

6. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose you're referring to Christianity specifically and whether the Christian doctrine considers homosexuality a sin.

Personally, I do think homosexuality is a sin within the context of Christianity. The Bible fairly clearly spells it out in my opinion in passages like the infamous Leviticus 18:22 (You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.) However, so many people interpret the Bible differently and there are always people who will find ways to interpret is as being accepting of homosexuality. Also, keep in mind that the Bible also says things like shellfish are detestable (Leviticus 11:12) and we should stone women who have sex before marriage (Deuteronomy 22:20-21).

So as you may have inferred I do not believe in the Bible's validity as the word of God and I find it fairly hypocritical that some Christians single out the LGBT as sinful degenerates when the Bible, like you said, states that everyone sins. I don't care if Christians find homosexuality to be a sin because that is their personal religious belief, but this does not justify their prejudice against gay people or their attempts to take away our rights such as marriage equality or protection from discrimination and persecution. Really there is no other explanation to it, except like TheSideKick said, Christians just cherry pick from the Bible to justify their already presupposed beliefs and prejudices. They've used the Bible to justify slavery, they've used the Bible to justify racial discrimination, and now they're using the Bible to justify discrimination against the LGBT. This isn't to say there aren't moderate and reasonable Christians, but at the end of the day they are all forced to cherry pick through the inconsistencies in the Bible and interpret it to fit their own beliefs.

#6 butHitlerisDead, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  7. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish that EC had a like button.

8. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let me explain my opinion on this within the context of a Christian.

First off I do not interpret the Bible literally. (I.e. Genesis is not necessarily factual history for me.) But what follows is a Biblical support for homosexuality within the church.

First off Leviticus and all the Old Testament laws were meant for the people of Israel. They do not apply today to modern Christians.

Romans 10:4

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."

Galatians 3:23-25

"23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, "

Ephesians 2:13-15

"But now in Christ Jesus you who once were pfar off have been brought near qby the blood of Christ. 14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,"

In place of the old testament law we have two commandments from Jesus.

Matthew 22:37-39

"37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Now this does not necessarily mean that the Old Testament is without meaning to modern Christians but we are not bound with it.

Matthew 19:4-12

"“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Here Jesus describes 3 types of eunuchs, which is a word for castrated males, but here in practice it seems to be a word for someone who in whatever way has rejected the natural sexuality (as in being sexual, not sexual orientation) of men. Eunuchs that were made that way by others were probably castrated, a eunuch for the kingdom of God is probably someone who has remained celibate, and a eunuch that was born that way is sometimes said to mean intersex people but I think in the same vein of being slightly off I think it could be considered a phrase to refer to homosexual men, as in they are simply disinterested in females and prefer to have sexual relations with other men. Here Jesus says that these kinds of people can not accept the male-female relationship because of the way they are. That solidifies for me IMO that homosexuality itself is not a sin. The sin comes into play here:

Romans 1:26-27

"Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones; in the same way, men committed shameful acts with other men and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."

Notice the words natural and unnatural. These verses are seeming to imply average heterosexual people having homosexual sex even though that is not the kind of sex they should be into because they are by all accounts straight. This is what I think then, homosexual acts are okay because homosexuality is itself accepted by Christ and for a homosexual to engage in heterosexual acts would be unnatural, unfit for them. Great vid by Matthew Vines on youtube about this subject.

This is my opinion that homosexuality is okay within the context of Christianity. That is not the topic of this thread but I am just offering my opinion.

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

Yes, an assumed stipulation of Biblical doctrine is the concept that everyone is a sinner--all humans are. In that vein, homosexuality is just another sin. The problem of course is that if you are aware that something is a sin, you don't continue to do it by choice with the excuse of "well, we're all sinners".

Either you believe homosexuality is a sin or you don't. If you do, then celibacy is really the only righteous path of action. If you don't, then good for you.

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a religion that is completely tolerant of homosexuality, however. Homosexuality is uncommon, and more, it is sexual and uncommon--this immediately attaches a taboo and a stigma around it, one that is probably at the foundation of most religious edicts that prohibit it. But reconciling sexuality with religion is for the religious to decide. However you decide to do it--celibacy, belief that it's not a sin, choice of another religion...it's going to take some work.

10. Soundwave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I mean some pagan religions have homo erotic overtones Achilles and his lover Zeus and ganyamedes Horus and set. Then you got the Mayan religion one of their gods is gay or is it Aztec? I mean even Islam at one point use to view homosexuality as natural and xianity even have saints who are lgbt I think 7 then you had during the medieval times knights marring other knights its been here since forever.

#10 Soundwave, Mar 27, 2016
  11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some religious people will swear up and down that being LGBTQ+ is a sin, and others will completely disagree, and say it's perfectly fine and we're made perfectly in the image of God---that it's just who we are, and there's no reason to change because we aren't living in sin.

I'm, for the record, not a Christian. However, going off what I took from things as a kid, being gay is not a sin--as Jesus himself never said anything about it, and the Bible has been grossly edited throughout time to fit whatever people thought was relevant for the times.

As for what Alexandr asked about the most LGBTQ+ friendly religion, it all depends on who you ask. Some people say different branches of Christianity are very accepting, some people say Islam, some say Paganism, and others say all paths have bigotry somewhere in them. You'll get a different response from everyone.

#11 Daydreamer1, Mar 27, 2016
  12. 1412

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well it isn't an easy question but as far as major religions go Buddhism is probably the friendliest. Although the new pope is improving things in Christianity.

13. JasmineTea

I think it depends more on the person than the religion they follow. There can be homophobic Buddhists, and completely accepting Muslims. It varies from person to person and how they were raised, their views on the world, etc.

That being said, I'd like to think that the religion I follow is really accepting (I'm pagan). Like Soundwave mentioned, a lot of the Gods and Goddesses worshipped and followed would probably best be described as pansexual. For that reason, among others, paganism seems to attract a lot of queer people, in my experience.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Satanism is also pretty friendly towards LGBTQ people as well, though I'm sure there are some bigots floating around too.

15. iiimee

I am an Atheist. Religion makes up no part of my life, but it's not because of my identity or sexuality as much as it is I have a hard time believing in that sort of stuff. To me, it's only a fairy tale, and I get a little offended when people start trying to preach it to me. I mean, it's okay if they don't know, but if you ever bring up "Well, god says this" during a conversation knowing that I'm an Atheist, I will remind you rather rudely that to me, those stories are as true as Little Red Riding Hood, or The Three Little Pigs. I don't want to take away anyone's freedom of religion, but I absolutely hate being preached at. People have free speech, but I have the right to not have to listen. Freedom from religion means freedom FROM religion, and we can't be friends if you continue to disrespect that.

16. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

I didn't realize it did.

17. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Freedom of religion can mean freedom from religion and freedom to adhere to any religion. In the cases of both, you have the right to express both publicly or privately.
    2. Religion and the LGBT Community can most definitely be paired together successfully. My belief in G-d, and my belief in my religion is not going to be interrupted by humans who sin as much as I do.
    3. Yes, many religions clearly outline homosexuality as a sin. You know what else is a sin? Divorce, Adultery, lying, etc...and that doesn't stop people from believing in a higher power or from being strong fits in their religious communities. Anyone in the LGBT community who claims that you can't believe in G-d and be LGBT is being dishonest, IMO.

There are branches of Christianity and Judaism that are very Pro-LGBT.

Judaism is one of the most divided religions on LGBT rights. Orthodox and Haredi Jews are strongly opposed to LGBT Rights, but there are many branches that are more accepting. I can vouch for this as a Jew:

Reform Judaism (Progressive Judaism, as it's known in Israel, Europe etc...) is very friendly to LGBT members and there are many Reform temples who perform Same sex marriages. Here is a link to Reform Judaism's official stance on homosexuality: Stances of Faiths on #LGBT Issues: #Reform #Judaism | Human Rights Campaign

Reconstructionist Judaism, which is even more liberal then Reform Judaism, is also extremely accepting of LGBT people. Stances of Faiths on #LGBT Issues: #Reconstructionist #Judaism | Human Rights Campaign

Conservative Judaism (known as Masorti Judaism in Israel, Europe etc...) is a much more mixed bag on LGBT Rights, but there are many accepting and friendly synagogues here as well. http://www.hrc.org/resources/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-conservative-judaism

When it comes to Christianity, as we all know, there is a reputation for being Anti-LGBT. Southern Evangelicalism in particular is very Anti-LGBT. However, there are many liberal branches that have started to support LGBT rights and same-sex marriage. I am not Christian, so I don't a lot about the religion, but I will list off the many Pro-LGBT Branches)

I will list off some branches and churches in the U.S. that have decided to support LGBT Rights:

- Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA): Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Evangelical Lutheran Church in Ameri | Human Rights Campaign

- Some countries branches of the Episcopalian/Anglican Church are very Pro-LGBT, but the church as a whole is divided: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Episcopal Church | Human Rights Campaign

- Presbyterian Church (USA): Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Presbyterian Church (USA) | Human Rights Campaign

- Metropolitan Community Churches: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Metropolitan Community Churches | Human Rights Campaign

- United Church of Christ: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: United Church of Christ | Human Rights Campaign

- Old Catholic Church: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Old Catholics/Independent Catholics | Human Rights Campaign

There are many other branches as well on this wikipedia page. To find official info on them, google the church name w/ HRC and it will pop up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT-affirming_Christian_denominations#North_America

There are also all-LGBT Churches, Synagogues etc... across the US.

Also, if you are a member of a right-wing church and/or synagogue, there is hope for you in your institution:

Orthodox Judaism, as a whole, is not a ally of LGBT rights, but there are pro-LGBT member support groups and even a good amount pro-LGBT orthodox temples: Stances of Faiths on #LGBT Issues: #Orthodox Judaism | Human Rights Campaign

Same goes for Southern Baptist Christians: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Southern Baptist Convention | Human Rights Campaign

And Mormons: LGBT Issues & the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints | Human Rights Campaign

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2016 at 04:16 AM ----------

I don't know as much on other major religions, but I'll try my best (and then im going to bed, cuz class in morning lmao)

ISLAM: As many of us know, Islam is not very accepting of LGBT Rights. It is a religion that also struggles with other issues, such as womens' rights. LGBT Muslims, unlike most LGBT Jews and Christians, face a real threat of being murdered everyday. Their battle is extremely difficult in Islamic countries, like Iran and Saudi Arabia. However, despite the difficult barriers Islam poses, there is some hope: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Islam | Human Rights Campaign (As HRC states, it's not easy to be an LGBT Muslim, but there are some strong resources for you all)

HINDUISM:
    So, I only know the very basics of Hinduism and it's teachings, but they same less against LGBT then most religions. They are divided on it. Resources listed here: Stances of Faiths on LGBT Issues: Hinduism | Human Rights Campaign

SIKHISM: I don't know the position. HRC doesn't have a page on Sikhism, but here are some inspirational links for LGBT Sikhs:

LGBT Sikhs (LGBT Sikhs)
    Gay Sikh - Homosexuality within Sikhism - Gay Sikh (Gay Sikhs)
    Sikh Family Comes Out in Support of Gay Son | Human Rights Campaign
    https://twitter.com/HRC/status/484320608713314306

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2016 at 04:20 AM ----------

UGH, how could I forget PFLAG? Amazing group from what my out friends have told me.

PFLAG National

Pro-LGBT group, as you can tell, and there is a large segment of support from religious leaders.

---------- Post added 29th Mar 2016 at 04:20 AM ----------

UGH, how could I forget PFLAG? Amazing group from what my out friends have told me.

PFLAG National

Pro-LGBT group, as you can tell, and there is a large segment of support from religious leaders.

18. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my community, religion among the LGBTQ community is very active. Not only do we have churches for every religious taste but we also have churches that are primarily for the gay community exclusively.

19. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    the LGBT community doesn't fit into religions that have text in their 'holy book' that condemns it. like islam and christianity. the new testament also has text about gay people being immoral. it cant work in any way whatsoever

the community does fit into religions that accept it.

you can still believe in your own god

20. eMei

It doesn't.