1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'It's a phase'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silverdeer, Mar 27, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What can I say agaisnt that?

Saying I have noticed signs for multiple years wouldn't work.

- For crying out loud my friend (a girl) who moved away touched me in my area and it didn't turn me on.

Also my grandma thinks it is a phase as she said 'you don't act gay and you're just going through a phase'.

I actually did kind of act a --little-- like the stereotypical gay before but due to people being judgemental I have stopped doing certain things.

#1 silverdeer, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, implying its a "phase" means that they have felt orientation to a different sex, which doesn't seem like they have been, and you know if that was the case, they wouldn't be using that as an excuse especially if that's what you feel yourself, go with it.

Another thing, acting "Gay" doesn't imply that a person is, I think if you really look at society, everyone has a stereotypical "gay" things they do. So I believe personally, do whatever you want as long it doesn't hurt anyone, as long as you feel comftable with it, that's all that really matters, this whole wide world will have people that will understand

So TL: DR of that,
    Tell them that YOU felt this way for a long long time, and you've thought about it for a long time and that this is you. Also explain that you shouldn't have to act a certain way to get that across.
    You don't have to nesissarly act to what society sees as "gay" either, just do what makes you feel comftable, and find the people that respect you because of it, and if your family respects you, they will eventually understand :slight_smile:

I hope that was helpful

#2 SAYGEUR, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My automatic response would be: "Yeah, it's a phase but a life-long one so you're just gonna have to suck it up"

Well, I wouldn't actually say that, I'm too afraid of people for that lol XD. I'd think it, though XD

If I did say that, it would be because I'm too tired to keep on explaining to people why it isn't a phase and how I know it isn't, though I think saying that would actually create more complications because then people would think you could change because you agreed it was a 'phase'... Ugh >n<

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Then let people think it's a phase. Just don't let them stop you doing what you want to do. Even if it was a phase it's not a reason not to get a BF.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many adults like to tell LGBT teenagers that it's "a phase", even though it rarely is. In the overwhelming majority of cases it's not a phase at all, but you will not convince them when you are 13 years old. They just think they are right. They believe they have a better perspective on life because they are older and they may well be victims of their own fear or prejudice.

It's not just our sexuality or gender identity that gets dismissed when we are teenagers. Sadly, some parents (adult family members) dismiss every problem and issue that young people face as a phase, including things like physical and mental health problems and it really says more about them than it does about you.

You will not convince them that it's not a phase by words alone, but by staying positive and avoiding arguments about your sexuality. The very worst thing you can do is to get into an upsetting confrontation with them, because it will lead to more obstinacy on their part if they witness you crying or shouting about it. They will believe that you are unhappy about being gay (rather than unhappy with their attitude towards your sexuality).

Some parents/adults are receptive to information from organisations like PFLAG, so it might be worth pointing them in that direction if they dismiss your feelings as a phase. You can't force them to reach out for help and understanding, but you can make the suggestion.

6. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell them that you understand that it's a phase for them to not accept it but that they will, eventually. Yes it's a phase for them.

7. YinYang

Say that them being straight is "just a phase".

8. Bing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    life is made of one and another phase. we never know what it will be tomorrow.

9. Iowan1976

Coming from a family that does not understand anything with sexual orientation... I understand what they are thinking. I just do not let their thinking impact my perception of myself. I know who I am. I know who I am attracted to. The same is true for you too.

10. guitar

How you act doesn't have much to do with your sexuality. Certainly there are quite a few gay men who fit the stereotypical actions of how we perceive gay men to act. Others act very much like a "regular" guy. I know plenty of gay men who you couldn't pick out as gay in a room full of men. Everyone's personality is different, as is their comfort level with acting in a certain manner. In my case, it can be said that I "act straight," that doesn't make me any less interested in guys than the most flamboyant gay men I know.

As far as it being a phase, there are some people who go through a "gay phase" but they are very much the minority. What science has established repeatedly is that sexuality is largely static with some slight variability throughout most peoples' lives. It's why you can call me a gay man, or my best friend a straight man. Our sexuality almost never changes from day-to-day. Sexuality can be fluid in some cases, especially for bisexual people, but it typically doesn't change.

Because you're young and still new to the world of raging hormones, there is a very slight chance it could be a phase, but it's highly unlikely. What is more likely is your grandmother's want for you to be straight so you can lead a life that will eventually lead to marriage to a woman with children. At least that would be my bet. You can be perfectly happy and content being a gay man, and you'll be far happier for embracing who you are if you are gay. Many of the LGBT people in my life knew their sexuality by 13. Many knew around the ages of 4-7 or so. 20+ years later, they're still gay.

11. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah,she always has wanted me to have kids so she can have great grandchildren and thinks homosexuality is a sin so I assume she wants it to be a phase

12. guitar

There's your answer, she's in denial. This is something that may take her a while to get used to - if she ever does. You can be gay and have kids; plenty of straight couples are unable to conceive.

Just as I'm sure it took you Time to get used to your sexuality, she probably will too. She's built up this mental image of who you are and who she wants you to be, and you don't meet those expectations - nor should you. You deserve happiness and if you're gay, being with a woman will likely not bring you happiness. All you can do is be a decent person and lead your life to be who you are. :slight_smile: