1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Feb 19, 2009.

1. partietraumatic

so i was just wandering how everyone did it the first time? how did you go about telling the very first person you told,and how did the conversation go?

ill go first...

it was at a friends party,and was a tad drunk :icon_redf anyway i was sitting next to this guy (who pretty much everyone knows is gay) and we were chatting for a while. All the while another of my friends was lying on the floor looking a little worse for ware. The guy im sitting next to goes 'Is he ok?'. Now,in my drunken state it seems i misheaard 'okay' as 'gay'. So i replied 'Umm no i dont think he is,but i think i am'...looking back the insuing conversation was quite funny:
    'youre what?'
    'what you just said...'
    'i said ok...'
    'ohhh....i thought you said something else'
    'whaaaat...?'
    'ummm...gay:icon_redf'

i was slightly embarassed at the time but we talked all night about it and it was really nice,and looking back it was pretty funnny lo

so yeah went your first coming out?

2. SirBoobalot

I'm pretty lucky, really. A lot of my friends are gay or bi - maybe just under half - so they just didn't assume I was straight. I joined in the conversations about both guys and girls, so they figured I was bi.

Maybe that's why coming out to my parents is still so daunting a prospect. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. J Schuelke

The first time I came out was to a close girlfriend of mine. This was shortly after I realized that I could possibly be gay and I was really quiet and distant. Call it woman's intuition or whatever but she kept asking me if something was wrong when eventually I told her that I had been thinking and I think that I just realized something about myself. She got all curious and kept asking so I told her through a choked voice that I was gay. She took it very well, in fact she gave me a big hug and thanked me that she was the first one I told.

After that I showed her the EC site and explained how that helped me get to where I was. We talked for the rest of the night, mostly Q&A stuff about me, but I thought it was really liberating to finally talk about it with someone.

The first time is always the hardest because in my case, I didn't know how she would react, if we would be friends afterward, will I lock up and not be able to say anything. etc. But everything turned out in the end, so it's all good now.

4. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to my cousin over bebo.
    to be honest, it was fairly easy. though she was called away by her mum, and she let me waiting for 10 sickly minutes >.<

5. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    My little brother about 2(?) years ago and we were on our way home from going out to IHOP with a bunch of our friends. He was driving and we were about 5 minutes from home and I started going on about my roommate... and then before I know it I told him I thought I was gay. And then I started bawling. He slows the car down to a crawl on this little curving 2 lane road and starts telling me things. All the while my face is oozing from as many orifices as I could imagine.

Messy ordeal.

6. Janvier

I came out to my girlfriends sister one evening. I was walking her home and I waited right until the last moment to tell her, I was really stressed but it felt soo good !!

7. tm74

tm74 Guest

I told the story of mine first time out in my intro-thread... so rather than repeat myself - here it is - linky

8. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was to my best friend, via a text message. We'd been at another friends birthday, and my best friend had set me up with a girl. As we were in a crowd I couldn't talk to him in person, so waited until I got home at 3 in the morning and texted him. I texted the girl and told her the next morning. Horrible experience

9. kayar

Well guys, I don't know if this is gonna count?

The first person I told was my Counsellor (Therapist). It was a conversation totally led by me and I had already decided that I was going to do it. I didn't stumble or mumble, I just did it (which surprised even me). So, does that count?

The next person I told was the EC community! The best!

The next is planned by me for the weekend of March 21-22. I'll be at a residential conference of about 30 people or so in a hotel (at least half of whom I already know quite well), and I'm gonna come out to everyone and anyone who'll listen!

Now that one's gotta count!

Kayar. X

10. Seanboy23

"Picture it... Sicily, 1922... Just KIDDING!!"

LOL! :roflmao::icon_wink

Seriously, my first "outing" went like this:

ME: Thanks for coming to dinner with me. I wanted to tell you something.
    PAM: What is it?
    ME: I've met someone, I think we're even dating. There's just one thing...
    PAM: What?
    ME: It's not a girl.
    PAM: Oh, Sweetie! I'm so proud of you! And it's ABOUT DAMN TIME!
    ME: (shocked look on face) What?!
    PAM: Honey, I always knew!

Pam was my real estate partner, and had been by my side to help me through my difficult separation and divorce. Through it all (and all the time I've known her), she always supported me and never gave one single hint that she might suspect my 'deep dark secret'. She's been like a mom to me and can't wait to meet my boyfriend!

11. fantasmo

I told a friend over email. We never mentioned it anywhere other than email, actually. In fact... I don't think I've ever really said anything related to it out loud in her presence. Hmm. That's actually odd cause it's not like I hide it at all around school or with my friends anymore, only at home.

12. Fiorino

My first coming out was kind of my first coming out to myself aswell.
    I started hanging out with this guy who was two years above me
    but we were both in art class, and anyway, one night while I was
    talking to him on msn, out of curiosity I asked him, "are you..."
    and he was like "i'm different. like you". That comment definetely got
    me thinking, and after a difficult two weeks of questioning I finally
    accepted myself. Well-mostly, I went into relpase that summer
    but as you now see that has been dealt with. Anyway-I came out
    to him officially after I had accepted myself, but as bi.

13. OneHatMadder

Um... I can't remember the first time I came out as 'bi' because that was almost 7 years ago haha.

I remember the first person I told I was gay though.

My friend said something along the lines of:
    "Well you're bi! You should know!"
    and I said "No... I'm not bi"
    He looked at me and said "So you don't like boys?"
    And I said "Don't be stupid! Of course I do!"
    The look on his face was hilarious :grin:

14. EM68

I sent an email to a friend from high school. He is gay. we emailed each other and talked a few times since. It gave me the courage to start coming out to my family. Soon after that I came out to my sister and this Sunday I am coming out to my parents.

15. Nodnarb

My first coming out was to my parents. I was in tears, completely unable to speak, let alone say "I'm gay".

They were asking me what was wrong, and what I wanted to tell them. They asked things like "Is it serious" or "Is it life-changing" before my mom finally said "You like boys?"

All I could do was nod my head, and start crying even more. They hugged me and said they loved me and that everything was fine...so it turned out well:slight_smile:

16. Greggers

Me "I have a letter to give you, ill stick it at the bottem of your birthday present. Only open it in complete privacy and only after i leave"
    Her "um..."
    Me "...oh, and dont worry its nothing important"

Yea, im smooth like that :wink: So she read it and two days later she wrote back with a HUGE e-mail saying how proud and happy she was. She is my backbone now. Looking back, i was so creepy about the whole thing and had her supper worried i was coming on to her

17. interstella

Taken from this thread:

18. biisme

I came out to my best friend through a message on facebook. My thread on EC about it is here. What I said to her was this:

She was awesome about it. :slight_smile:

19. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

My Best friend. We were walking to R.E and I said i need to tell him something. He instantly said "Your Gay?" suprise suprise. I said "not quite, I'm bi"
    That's pretty much how the whole school knows, a girl in my class was walking behind us...
    Sticky situation....

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Guest

Hmm.. I came out to my friend when we were playing truth or dare. I asked him if he was gay or bi, and he said no. Then he asked why I asked, so I told him. Unfortunatly, something happend, and he started to hang out with the cocky guys and what not.. and most of them don't like me so they asked him everything he knew about me. Now like 8-6th grade knows D: