1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two types of attraction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Mar 29, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Okay, so I came up with this theory recently (I certainly didn't come up with it, I mean I just had a personal realization). Anyways, I always used to look at attractions in one way - I liked someone. However, I'm learning more and more that I think there are two types of attraction.

1.) Purely physical - These are the attractions where I see a guy and basically say, "I really like your face." The instant you see someone, you instantly think he or she is attractive and you're in awe how someone could be that good looking. I realized my two most serious crushes were this; I didn't know the guys well enough to have the other type of attraction. People say looks don't matter, but they can really do a lot for me if I find the guy really good looking.

2.) The physical + personality - I have noticed this from myself a lot more lately. As I said, most of my crushes in the past have been purely physical and not much more. I have been having a lot of moments lately where I see a guy and find him cute. I may not find him exceedingly good looking, but I still "like his face" of course.
    Anyways, then you get talking to the guy or girl and they become 10x more attractive. Their personality or their charm just makes them even more appealing to you. It's nice to see my attractions are becoming less shallow now... and it also makes me think how it's stupid to not give someone a chance. You may not find the guy or girl amazing looking at the beginning, but you could really find him or her attractive after talking to the person.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Maybe I'm even missing out on more attractions. Let me know what you think!

#1 lovetoomuch, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. killswitch0029

I agree with what you say here. There have been some guys I saw as eye candy but had crappy personalities that were a pretty big blow to their attractiveness.
    I find that I had stronger attractions to guys who had physical features and personality features that I liked.

I do feel that that "Purely personality" would be a viable entry on your list. Although it's been something really rare for me, there have been some guys where just looking at them I felt nothing but after talking to them and spending time with them I felt some attraction.

3. EnchanterForest

It is called growing up, you are becoming more aware of the people around you and are looking for more in people. I know I am only 14 but people grow up at different speeds and moving countries seemed to make me mature very quickly.

4. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looks like the difference between lust and love.

I've found that the ones I fall for the hardest are never the most good-looking. Attraction to someone's body/face without knowing anything about their personality generally lasts very briefly. If that person ends up having a not so great personality, I no longer find even their appearance attractive.

I think it's completely normal to go for the appearance + personality package. It really is the most fulfilling.