1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marriage, children?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confused10101, Mar 29, 2016.

?

Do gay men want children?

1. Yes (Age: 20 years old or younger)

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No (Age: 20 years old or younger)

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Yes (Age: older than 20)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. No (Age: Older than 20)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. confused10101

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have always wanted to get married and one day have children. A son, to take to soccer or lacrosse practice (or whatever he's into), a daughter to take to volleyball or gymnastics (or whatever she's into). I've probably spent hours daydreaming my future life. Married to Mr. Right and with 2 or more children. Playing catch in the backyard, last minute studying for spelling tests and math tests, or helping my future children with their homework.

My question is: Do gay men want to settle down and start a family.

(I'd prefer answers from guys around my age (13-20) but all are welcome to respond)

2. guitar

I know the media sells the stereotype that gay men are only interested in sex and partying and "the scene" and all the rest of it. And there are a good number of gay men who are largely only interested in that. But there are also a great number of gay men who are interested in having a relationship and starting a family, or least settling down with their partner, a house/apartment, maybe a pet.

The thing is, men on the whole aren't as interested in starting families as women are. That doesn't mean that all men aren't interested or you're some weird out-liar if you want a family, but it's not as hard coded to safeguard relationships and want sexual monogamy as women do.

There are plenty of gay guys out there who want to date, who someday would like a family with their husband/partner. Don't be discouraged if it just seems like gay men only want sex, because a lot want more than that from their partners.

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family would disapprove

4. Ryu

Ryu

I don't like children. But if I did have children I bet that I'd then love having children. But now, can't stand the things.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, of course they do, it's a normal human desire to want to be a dad. Your sexual orientation means only who you love romantically and enjoy in bed.

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

Too expensive.
    Too much hassle.
    Too big of a commitment.

7. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always wanted children with my partner and I know gay couples that want or already have adopted children.
    The results so far are so sad. If you don't want children then what is the point of your life? I don't mean that as in your life is pointless but as an honest question, what else is the goal and purpose of your life?

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is the point of life? If you can decisively answer that question I know the scientific and philosophical community would be extremely impressed with you.

#8 Robert, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  9. I'm_Danni_x

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but only when I'm in a solid enough financial and relationship situation to have a kid. I want one or two children I think. :slight_smile:

11. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd rather have a puppy, than a kid.

12. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No and NO. I have no desire for a relationship and I despise children. I'm perfectly happy with the idea of remaining unwed and childless.

Seeing as how a few people have quoted you and omitted the second part of your question, I'll answer that part.

The goal and purpose of my life would be to better humanity. Personally I strive to be a meteorologist, studying weather and helping to give humanity a better understanding of storms; and, perhaps, to be able to find new ways to survive the extreme weather that climate change will inevitably cause.

There are many ways to find purpose in life that don't involve children. You just have to find one. :thumbsup:

#12 ThatBorussenGuy, Mar 30, 2016
  13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same :slight_smile: I may be getting a puppy this year! :grin:

14. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a big difference between 'what is the point of your life' and 'what is the point of life'.

15. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not opposed to having kids at all. I just really really really want a puppy way more than a kid.
    What breed could your puppy be? :slight_smile:

16. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keeping within the context of the thread it refers to people who do not want children. Unless I have missed some major news, me and my male partner are not in a position to produce children as a couple and yet we want to be parents.

That is a bizarre belief but I do not personally know anyone that has expressed that belief and so it is difficult for me to comment on it. I suppose however they are entitled to that belief as there is no real way of such people enforcing it on others.

I agree, I have friends that do not have any plans to start families although I have never felt it my place to ask why as for some people not being able to have children is so painful that they would rather not discuss it and so just avoid the subject. In the case of some of the people I know however they contribute towards 'the species' in other ways such as being a teacher or a nurse.
    However if someone who has no desire to raise their own family or contribute towards the continuation of the human race in any other way then I would imagine that would be a great cause for depression and a sense of hopelessness. I would hate to think that people would waste their lives miserably and then die believing that their entire existence was pointless.

17. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Strawman, dude, strawman.

18. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That answers my point exactly, (thanks for reading what I actually wrote btw :icon_bigg).

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2016 at 08:58 PM ----------

Careful guys! I got my little dog back in November and he has taken over my life. At least if he was a child people would let me take him in the supermarket or restaurant. It would definitely be easier to find a coat to fit a little person. Also people wouldn't give me weird looks for talking to him while we walk round the park -like it makes more sense to talk to a human baby that doesn't understand a word of English :grin:

19. springroll

springroll Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually chose Yes but I accidentally clicked on the 20 years and younger. I'm starting to deny I'm getting older. My mum confided in me that she thought having kids were okay, not having kids were okay as well. Without kids, she would be able to enjoy a more relaxing life. At the same time, she didn't really regret having me either. I hold the same belief as well. Kinda like a balance scale between Yes and No.
    But reading Calf's post has tipped the scale heavily to the Yes side atm, I'm feeling emotional now :<

#19 springroll, Mar 30, 2016
  20. Cedar

I would like to get married one day but I'm on the fence about having kids. Maybe at some point I'd feel like I was up to the task but I'm perfectly content with having a cat instead, less hassle.