1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your kind of music

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joelouis, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Joelouis

So what kind of music do you like?

Remembering that just because certain music isn't to your liking, that doesn't necessarily make it bad music, and other people may really like it.

Myself, I like soft rock, easy listening, and piano covers of many popular track.

I can't stand opera. Not at all.
    Also grunge, hardcore, acid house....

But my worst kind of music is depressing songs about how upset the singer is, and how terrible their life is etc. Karen Carpenter had a brilliant voice, but mainly seemed to sing about being alone, and couldn't find love and wanting to die etc.

Again, other people may like that type of song, but personally, I'd rather listen to someone scratch their nails down a blackboard.

So, what's yours?

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to listen to a bit of everything.
    If you were to listen to my Pandora thumbprint station you'd hear such things as Two Steps From Hell, Audio Machine, The Tenors, Josh Groban, Within Temptation, Emiliee Autumn (might of spelled wrong), Five Finger Death Punch, Imagine Dragons, Snow Patrol, Disturbed, Slipknot, FT Island (Korean Group), G Dragon, GOT7, 2 PM, and many many many more

Pretty much I either listen to the song because the music is great and get my imagination going, or because the lyrics really strike a chord in me.

The only music I tend not to listen to is rap. I have heard a few songs I like but for the most part I haven't had much luck on that front.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Rock... I dunno how to describe what sort. I guess the types I listen to most are (in no particular order:

indie rock
    punk rock (and post-punk too)
    pop rock
    alt rock
    softer metal stuff

But I also listen to some electronic music, some pop and some rap. e.g. I like 90s electronic music like the Prodigy and Chemical Brothers. And I love a bit of Eminem. And one guy I'm loving right now is Clarence Clarity - his style is alternative RnB. I don't like to be closed minded with anything. I've even had a phase of listening to loads of Mozart. I'm just a music junkie.

And I agree with you that I get really annoyed with artists who only sing about how miserable they are... though I mind less if they can sing about their misery in an upbeat manner haha. Or if they really express their misery in an outstanding and innovative way that promotes empathy in me. Like erm... Chelsea Wolfe's Abyss album. Its oppressive in a way that Adele singing about another fucked up relationship never will be. This is where pop comes in. I have a lot of really happy cute pop in reserve to be the antithesis of misery artists.

What I can't stand... Ed Sheeran type stuff. Run of the mill classic-style acoustic guitar pop songs have been done too much. Omg have you heard that "once I was 7 years old song"? Like that is my nightmare. And Adele and those sorts of people. Also... really vapid pop that's not even good to dance or sing. And people who try and jump on the recent stripped back hip-hop bandwagon but forget to have anything to strip back. i.e. Kanye West - Real Friends. Pop rock without any energy or originality at all... its just a group of guys desperately trying to not be seen as a boy band i.e. 5SOS. Mainly just anything that doesn't even try to be original, or is ridiculously commercial.

#3 SHACH, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Music is, like, my life. So let's see here.

#1 - Rock
    I'm a total metal gurl and a sucker for anything where I can hear the influence of this glorious, unique sound that arose around the 1950s...
    I love most genres: Blues rock, classic rock, hard rock, alternative rock, progressive rock, post-rock, post-hardcore, grunge, metal, heavy metal, nu metal, power metal, speed metal, melodic death metal, pop-rock, J-rock etc. etc. Some genres I generally don't like is black metal, non-melodic death metal, trash metal, and when it's rock mixed with hiphop (e.g. Clawfinger).
    Bands I like include: Elf, Krokus, Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, Dio, Guns N' Roses, Slash, Velvet Revolver, Rainbow, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Tool, Dream Theater, Flyleaf, The Animal In Me, Iron Maiden, SlipKnoT, Edguy, Avantasia, Helloween, In Flames, Sleeping With Sirens, Megadeth, BABYMETAL, Jorn Lande, Allen Lande, Against Me!, Sixx:A.M., Disturbed, Corroded, Evanescence, Stratovarius, Journey, Skillet, and many, many more.

I also listen to a lot of classical (the classics and orchestral, but mostly solo), acoustic music, some pop, and sometimes other music.

5. Jellyfish Clear

I mainly listen to anime songs so j-pop and j-rock with favorites being sung by groups of voice actors like Idolish7.
    Favourite bands being SpyAir, bumb of chicken and Does.

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was into solely rock/metal/hardcore subgenres for years. Mostly modern stuff, from the past 20 or so years like Papa Roach, Five Finger Death Punch, Rise Against, Avatar, Thy Art Is Murder, The Defiled, A Day To Remember, Our Last Night, Enter Shikari, Hollywood Undead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Upon A Burning Body, Skillet, etc.

Now though my taste is a lot more inclusive. I've been getting into Grime artists like Skepta, Lethal Bizzle, Stormzy, Bugzy Malone, JME. Grime is somewhat rappy and I listen to some rap rock bands, rap is a pretty cool genre that I should probably listen to more. I'm also into more chill artists like Raleigh Ritchie (I think he's alt. R&B or something) and pop like Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5, Ed Sheeran and a couple of the really mellow songs that have been in the charts like 7 Years - Lukas Graham and Take Me To Church - Hozier.

I'm not as elitist when judging peoples music tastes now. I still consider myself a rocker (and I've brought enough merch and spent enough on CD's to have to stay that way for a while... literally hundreds and hundreds of pounds, my life revolved around myself and not much else, bloody crazy kid) but I like to switch it up now and again.

7. Harve

It's probably better than yours.

(I'M JOKING GUYS)

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite kind of music is rock/metal, however specifically, my favorite is symphonic metal due to the blend of orchestra with metal, along with their poetic, cryptic lyrics and well trained singers. My favorite bands in this genre as of now are Nightwish and Kamelot.
    I also enjoy hard rock and heavy metal, along with some j-rock and visual Kei.

However, I don't like songs where there is way too much screaming, but I feel when used in moderation it can make a song much more dramatic.

While composing I'm geared towards rock, however using classical (harmonic minor and modal scales) but my goal is to incorporate orchestra and make symphonic metal!

In general, I enjoy most genres of music even though I don't listen to them often, but rock and metal are my favorites. I don't mind listening to classical, jazz, blues, pop, classic and softer rock. However just like I feel about screaming, I can't personally stand rapping throughout a whole song and only enjoy it when it's part of an exceptional song.

MUSIC IS LIFE.

#8 loveislove01, Mar 31, 2016
  9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My kind of music is mainly electronica, indie or not, and any kind of indie rock or pop. I'm not such a fan of mainstream music, but there is stuff I like within that genre as well (for example, I can't seem to stop listening to "Cake by the Ocean", as ridiculous as that song is). I'm not too discriminating in my taste: I like what appeals to me, and don't restrict myself to certain genres. I will listen to anything from Alban Berg to Joywave to Britney Spears, if enjoy the sound.

I do seem to never listen to much country, but I find little appealing in the modern "country pop" songs about lifted trucks and red solo cups.

Agree completely with this. Ed Sheeran and other artists wo create music that's not very unique, yet instantly tugs on the heartstrings of the nation, thereby gaining it classic status. Not a fan of that type of music at all.

#9 Libertino, Mar 31, 2016
  10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indie~
    With Sufjan Stevens encapsulating all I love in music

Folk~
    To admit to my self that deep down I'm a sentimental human being

Emo~
    Because reasons

Instrumental~
    The first kind of music I fell for, forever idolizing Olafur Arnalds

K-Pop~
    Proud of that one

Alt. Rock~
    Coldplay and Radiohead

Essentially, my style of music falls into these categories: melodious, depressive, or absurd. I don't judge an artist by their genre - but will take 'em on a case by case basis. The above are just my usual patterns.

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rock, Metal, a bit of Dubstep...

Avenged Sevenfold, The Offspring, Skrillex, Papa Roach, Slipknot, Motorhead, Amon Amarth, etc.

12. sophieandthecat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with you about not liking those brooding songs, but I do find refuge in a nice, raspy grunge tune when I feel up to it.

I enjoy classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, and my spiritual honey, David Bowie. I know a lot of people who like this type of music can sometimes be harsh on pop or electronica, but I never am snobby about music. All music has worth.

My tastes tend to extend 60s-90s, but I can listen to anything and make the most of it.

Music is my life :grin:

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2016 at 11:46 AM ----------

I always took interest in dubstep too. It's a very cool experience most of the time to listen to it

13. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Classic. I am constantly yon the move and always have my radio tuned in to one of the pure classic stations. Relaxing when traveling.

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've listened to a huge range of music over the years and enjoyed something from almost any genre. Though I tend more towards [pop] rock/emo/indie and alternative genres.

15. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *snickers* I listen to almost everything. My only exception is country music. That's one of the genres I just haven't been able to get that into. Like, I like some, but...not most.

16. My taste depends on my mood. However, I'm more of a Ballad/Metal/New Age person. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. killswitch0029

Rock, Alternative, Metal to an extent are my favorite genres.
    Pop and Rap/Hip-Hop (depending on the artist) I'll listen to a little bit. Country music is really the only genre I can't stand

18. wolf of fire

I don't even know what to call it but Rob Zombie, Fall Out Boy, Pretty Reckless, Avenged Sevenfold.

19. Psaurus918

Indie rock
    Indie folk
    Progressive rock
    Modern rock
    Alternative rock

Some classic rock
    Some metal
    Some house/dub step
    Some fusion/jazz

Hate, hate, hate country!

20. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alternative rock. I've also been listening to riot grrrl a lot lately.