1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when people say something is 'gay'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MayaBee, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MayaBee

Am I the only one who can't stand this? I don't get angry at people who say this, but I am just against stereotypes in general or using a sexual orientation as an insult.
    So I am always the one who asks "How?" when someone says for example "hah he is so gay he studied for the test!"
    Anyone else?
    I just love to make them uncomfortable when they say something like this, because I totally can't stand this.

2. confusedbubble

I had a friend who wasn't out and she would say "oh that's so gay" and other stuff loads it really annoyed me.

She's now out and doesn't like comments about sexuality which is strange because she used to mention stuff like that, maybe it was a defensive method to prevent people thinking she was gay herself

3. CluelessOne

Honestly, I've grown up with things that are technically not correct or polite to say "That's gay" or "Skitso" for example. I make a concerted effort not to use them because for me they've always had the context of bad or a little crazy for me, I know people find it hurtful but it never bothers me

4. PrettyPurple

It depends on the context and who is saying it really, it bothers me if someone means that as an insult, but when my friends who are gay themselves are just joking like that then it's fine

5. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People around me usually don't use the term 'gay'- maybe cuz I'm out to them, or it's just not 'in' to use it. Though, I do try to make them as uncomfortable as possible when they make a jab at sexuality.

6. Justyen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's only a reflection of themselves, or else they wouldn't be saying it... humans are so stupid...

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Seems quite silly to use it as a negatively charged adjective to me.

8. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I started this post out by saying that it doesn't really bother me because I know that in most situations, people aren't using it with the intent to personally hurt me, or other gay people.

But after reflecting on it, I've changed my mind and I'm starting this post over haha. I think that even if it is said in a harmless way, we should be more aware about the meaning behind the words we are saying, because words are powerful. They shouldn't just be thrown around lightly. While I know I shouldn't take it personally, I don't think the word "gay" should be used in a negative context.

9. ScatteredEarth

I mean, technically the word "gay" isn't a sexual orientation, so whenever it's used in a derogatory manner I never usually care. Hell I'm guilty of calling things gay more so because I've associated the words gay and fag to be more of a synonym for the word "annoying" or "stupid" more than anything. If I'm using gay in the context of sexuality, THEN I equate it to homosexuality and it just becomes a different story. But yea, it's not really a scalding word to me, but on average, I'm probably more callous than other individuals, so take it as you will.

10. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it so funny when someone looks at an inanimate object (chair, table) and says, "ha, gaaayy" because it's just like really?? that's a table. It has no sexual preference. It's a table. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Lyr

Lyr Guest

In my class I often hear it and as you I do not understand in what it is an insult, it's simply the word which corresponds to the people who have an attraction for a someone of the same sex. It's simply absurd. What is hurtful is not the fact that the world uses it for anything, but that, being used as insult, that makes people think that being gay is bad, that it's shameful..

12. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "That's so gay", a phrase I hear a lot, being in an all boys grammar school that is frequented by many members of the upper middle class, who wrongly believe they are "Well 'ard". Moving on from my not so tactically placed casual stereotyping, this phrase amuses me as it shows me how ignorant people can be. Especially when they use it whilst standing next to the Stonewall poster that is directly tackling this issue.

#12 Nordland, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  13. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll admit that I've used this and yes it probably was because I was embarrassed of my feelings and felt I needed to so I could fit in and what not. I regret using it because it is a negative thing and I'm not proud to have to admit this but I think it's a product of a hetero society that cannot understand how people feel the way we do. If we were spiteful we could start saying "that's so straight"

#13 Bazinga87, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  14. Radiant Memory

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hear that a lot. It's funny because if everything really was gay, like how people say, then we wouldn't have straight people.

15. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol that's a great point radiant.

16. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Soooo annoying. My best friends older brother used to say it quite a bit. Its actually kinda how i came out to him. We were watching a bulls game or something together and there was a bad call by the ref and he said "thats so gay. I gotta stop calling things gay." So i figured my best friend told him i was gay and just thought he was trying to change for me. When i confronted my friend about it, ge said "no, i wouldnt tell him without your approval, but i dont know why you dont just tell him." A few days later my best friend told me that he told his bro for me and asked if i noticed him acting differently around me. I tild him no then was able to actually bring it up to him over a board game and he was completely cool about it... havent heard him call anything gay since and he even snapped at his friends for saying it when i wasnt even there... my best friend and his older bro are the best!

17. Wutdaheck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually one of the search results when you look up gay definition is .
    informal-offensive
    foolish, stupid, or unimpressive.
    "making students wait for the light is kind of a gay rule"
    While many people don't know that and are referring to the sexuality they are technically right :icon_sad:

18. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People should stop calling random things "gay", but at the same time, we shouldn't be offended by it. Remarks only cross the line if you let them!

When people say something is "gay", I can say, "You can't call something 'gay'...unless you're talking about me, of course!" Just laugh it off. People will usually respect you if you don't show weakness.

19. Jamokanderloo

Leicestershire, England, UK, Europe, Earth, Sol...
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate it >_<

20. Dot Com

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It totally irks me! When people say "gay" to mean "lame," I'm like... so my identity is an adjective you like to use to describe things you don't like?

I feel that there are a lot of terms out there that people use without critically thinking about it first. "Gay" is definitely one of them.