1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internships scare me

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So next year I'll probably be doing an internship and sadly most of the ones I wanna go to are way out of my comfort zone like Florida and the like. What I'm asking is anyone do an internship and had to leave parents/grandparents for like 3 months or so? How did you cope? I'm incredibly freaked at the thought of leaving my family behind for 3 months and being by myself extremely far away. If they were able to see me every so often I'd be okay but being all the way in Florida while entire family is in Colorado? Yea no. I keep having the what if scenarios of what if grandma passes? What will happen to my dogs? Will my mom give away my dogs and cat to someone else cause she can't take care of them even though I asked her not to? She has a habit of getting a pet even if it's for me and then getting rid of it cause she can't pay for it. Like she got me 2 dogs in the past bonded to me then got rid of them I was so heartbroken. Will my internship ppl let me off to go see my grandma if she passed? I'm so incredibly terrified of anything like this happening or some major accident or anything. So anyone whose had to leave family for internships how did you do it and cope? There is this amazing lemur sanctuary in Florida that I'm excited to go to but don't wanna leave my family for the 3 months of it. How do I stop being terrified of the thought of leaving that long of a time and distance?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Sorry you're feeling that way. I'll be doing an internship this summer. I won't be super far, but I'll probably have to stay at someone else's place for a couple weeks, maybe longer.
    Is there a way you could contact and get to know the people you'll be working with ahead of time? That may help a bit.
    Could you ask another family member to help make sure your mom keeps the pets?

I think it will be a good experience, even if it's scary. Maybe to help, you could plan some fun things. Maybe look up certain nearby tourist attractions you could go see that don't cost much, or nature walks. Even just something small you couldn't do in Colorodo. Whenever I go to someplace like Florida I get a fresh coconut from the grocery store and drink it. So little things like that you could get excited about. Think about the things you'll learn, the experiences that will help you grow. Try to think about the good things when you find yourself worrying. This is your time for you. Even though it's scary, there can be a lot of good in it. It's probably an experience you'll remember for a long time, and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Good luck!