1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring is here. It's convention season!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Skaros, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Alright, so I've been getting really pumped up this spring. School will be stressful, but once I'm done with school I can start going to conventions! I plan to go to Anime Central and Anime Midwest, and might go to more. I went to both last year and had so much fun. Anime Central last year was my first convention, and it was one of the best weekends I ever had. Now our school schedule changed and we are getting out of school earlier, so we will finish school by the time Anime Central 2016 comes around. My friends and I are planning to hit up several conventions in the summer before we start college.

I'm planning to cosplay as a character from Hetalia. I cosplayed as Mikoto Suoh last year, but was kind of disappointed that I couldn't find other people from my anime (oh well).

Are you planning to go to conventions this year? Which conventions? What is your experience with conventions?

There's many that I would love to go to but probably can't because they're too far away. Luckily there's some great ones nearby.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have fun! :slight_smile:

3. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Awesome !
    Hopefully I can get to a few cons this year too, usually I go to London Comic Con or Hyper Japan with my brother and sister.
    Last year, me and my sister cosplayed Ciel (mwah) and Alois (her) from Black Butler at Comic Con, we were Happy (me) and Carla (Her) from Fairy Tail at one point too and a few others~
    Hetalia, huh ? Me and my siblings were watching Hetalia, but then our brother went to University so we never got to finish it, it seems great from what we've seen, fun stuff ! ヾ(≧∇≦)ゝWe should finish it next time he comes home !
    First started going to cons in... 20... 2013 ? I think...
    Anyway, hope you and your friends have fun~
    Now to plan me and my sister's next cosplay in preparation !! (Like, literally, she just asked me as I finished writing this... her timing is too good...)

#3 Bobsleigh1, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to my first this year, Anime Boston :grin:

It was awesome and I was surprised that people actually asked for pictures with me in my homemade cosplay. I plan on going to Conneticon in the summer- as it is cheaper, and closer by with the same cosplay (Nohr Aqua from FE fates)

Who from Hetalia?

5. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh I will. It will be even more fun than last year, because now I know how to enjoy my conventions more. :slight_smile:

Oh, I tried cosplaying as Sebastian from Black Butler once. It wasn't the best cosplay, and I couldn't manage to fit my red contacts into my eyes. :tears:

Hetalia is one of those animes where I love the characters more than I love the storyline :icon_bigg

Sounds like fun! Anime Boston a pretty big convention, like Anime Central. The big ones are usually really fun because it's when people usually go all-out with cosplay.

Connecticon is about as big as Anime Midwest, and I can tell you that it can be just as fun as Anime Boston. I hope you have a lot of fun there. :slight_smile: Funny, we both started off with a big con and then a smaller con.

Hoping to go as Greece from Hetalia. I might just buy the wig online and make the rest myself.

#5 Skaros, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. guitar

Going to Anime North in Toronto in May. I'm stoked. Will be my first time cosplaying too :grin:

7. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Haha, awesome ! I'm sure it wasn't bad, plus, I would never even be able to muster up the courage to even try to put in contacts... There's just something intimidating about it ! ( ' ∇ ' *)
    Yeah, it seems like that kinda anime. Oooh, now I really feel like finishing Hetalia !! But I gotta wait for the bro...!

8. Bazinga87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would love to goto comicon or the like but have never had the chance

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't go because my dad thinks it's a waste of money. ><

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to a furry convention this Friday! Can't wait. It's called Fur the 'More, and used to be held in Baltimore, but now it's in VA, just south of DC. Gonna stay for two nights. Had a great time last year, and I'm really excited. Also planning on meeting a few friends I've gabbed with a lot online, so that should be nice. And my mate is gonna go to all the sewing/fur-suit making classes/panels...I really, really wanna have a fursuit for next year, most likely my main fursona, a Skunk named Simo. And then, I wanna work on a second one, of a rather exotic animal, the Fossa. (I have a pupsuit, but it's latex, and well, kinda naughty for public wearing!)

We might go to a second furry con later in the summer, the FA United con, also in VA...

What else?

I'll go to comic-con downtown in the fall, and that's about all I can afford, this year. Bronycon is in town, as well, but I dunno if I'm a big enough fan to spend $70 on it.

So, mainly furry cons here!

11. Aqulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was planning on going to two conventions this year - one of them the is small but beloved since it's the first I've ever gone to (Kraken Con), but it turns out I'm going to Alabama with my family instead. I'm still going to the four day FanimeCon with my best friend and I'm super excited! I'll be cosplaying Undyne from Undertale and Jake and Roxy who are both from Homestuck.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Bought my materials and am ready to start making my cosplay. Haven't actually made one myself before, but I think I'm ready for it! Too expensive online and they look ugly, so I'm kind of excited to actually make a better one myself for half the price.

Awwww, if you can't convince him, maybe you could go in the next year or two.

Sounds like fun! I still have to wait a month and a half till I can go to my next con.

I don't know a lot about furry conventions, but I've heard they're pretty fun. I know there's a furry convention in December here. At the same convention center as Anime Central, Anime Midwest, and Con Alt Delete (a much smaller anime convention that is run by the same company as Anime Midwest).

I hope you still have fun in Alabama! :slight_smile: I really want to go to a four day convention. I really hope Anime Central turns into a four day con. I see a lot of Homestuck cosplayers. I actually went to a Hetalia/Homestuck panel at Anime Midwest just to see what it was like. Definitely an interesting mix. I tried getting into Homestuck but it just wasn't my thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#12 Skaros, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  13. Aqulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw thanks! And yeah, Homestuck is pretty hard to get into. It's real slow and boring at first, but eventually it becomes this amazing universe you kinda can't escape from. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, it's the night before Anime Central and my costume has just about reached completion (just putting final touches). Thought I would give this thread a good bump. How did you guys enjoy your conventions? If you didn't go to one yet, which ones are you planning on visiting and how excited are you?

For me, I am super excited. I do have prom tomorrow so I can't stay the whole day, but Saturday will be a day that I will be there from the early morning until the very late night. :grin:

15. PrettyinPunk

I wanted to go to Anime Central, unfortunately I couldn't make the driving arrangements in time. I think I'll try for anything in my area and Anime Midwest in July.

Sounds like your gonna be busy. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun too. Have a good time!:slight_smile:

16. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imma do my darnedest to make it to Pax Prime this year!