1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Intended Majors?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

o.o

So I'm thinking about changing intended majors for college...kind of a drastic one too.

I've gotten into a technical school (www.wit.edu) and a liberal arts university (www.hartford.edu) and I started to take a moment to pause and re-adjust priorities and interests. I've seemed to take a huge interest in going for pre-med to become a doctor in medical school, and currently as of right now, I'd be doing Comp Science.

I've always had an interest in the human mind developement, how the human mind works, and how the human body works, not to mention how I'd be helping people as well.

I'm mainly thinking of things along the line of Neurologist or Psychiatrist.

So, what does EC think :slight_smile: ?

2. Apocalypte

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

In order to get into med school, you need to undergrad in pre-med...this is what I'm thinking of changing to so I can get into medical school.

4. Apocalypte

As far as I know, there's a set of courses (some bio, chem, math etc) that you need to follow, but can major in anything. So pick something you like and that you can get an uber-GPA from!

5. Melissa

Either one is a great choice. I'm going for social work myself. Good luck in whatever you decide!

6. ricoca

Yes, from what I heard, if you want to go into a medical school in the States, you just have to have a BA or BS, but it doesn't matter what your degree is in. I'm not too worried about me cause I'm a life science major, so pretty much all the classes I'm taking are the ones needed to take the MCAT test. So it's not too bad. :grin:

Follow your heart! And do what you really like. :grin:

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Not all medical schools require a BA or BS, but my feeling is a pre-med BS would probably help me train for medical school.

8. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may or may not help. As long as you take the necessary courses to prepare for med school, you can major in pretty much anything. Especially if you're considering a specialty like you are, it would probably be best to major in something like psychology. Pre-med is about as useless as pre-law. I know people who majored in physics/math who went to law school.

9. FinalFantasyFan

That's true, going pre-med would probably prepare you for med school, but as long as you have all of the required classes, you can major in whatever suits your fancy. From what I understand, med-schools like to accept people of all sorts of majors, not just the pre-med or bio majors. So I would say just go with what interests you the most, and the rest will fall into place.:thumbsup:

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Looks like I can do pre-med courses along with almost any major, so that looks good.
    Now to question my comp science major xD .

I need to start looking at something like biology or psychology (again, Psychiatrist is an interest of mine).

#10 Swamp56, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
  11. starfish

I second this advice. My major was Software Engineering and you could easily tell a difference between the students that really wanted to be an engineer and those that just did it because it paid well.

It is not unusual to change majors either. I had 4 different major during my college carrier. As you take classes you are exposed to different fields and you interest in them may change.