1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovering Your Passion Too Late

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matto_Corvo, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you ever feel like you discovered your passion, your dream for the future, too late for it to matter? Or that you knew what your passions was but never consider pursuing it as a career due to your family?

As an example using myself.....
    I have always loved the arts. I can remember being four and telling my family that I wanted to be an artist. At first it was received as one of those cute things that four year olds say. By time I was seven, though, I was constantly reminded that that wasn't a "real career" and that I needed to choose something else. I remember going through a different future career every week, trying to see what my family thought about it. Artist, singer, actor, dancer...Always I go a negative response. Finally I said I wanted to be a vet, and I was given the approval I had been looking for all along.
    Funny enough, around the same time that I found the thing they approved of, I also found something that I completely fell in love with. I discovered writing. When I was being punished and the books taken from my room, I would break out the pad and pen to make up my own world that I would then reenact using barbies and stuffed animals. It was my secret pleasure. Something only my friends knew about because I knew my dad's family would never approve. By this point I was 13.
    Here I am, 24 years old and only now figuring out that I want to write movies, TV shows, and/or plays. But I feel like I have discovered this to long. I read countless stories of people who knew what they wanted to do since they were little. They took an active interest in movies and writers and actors. Meanwhile I never did that. It is only recently that I've started doing such. I've always had the curiosity about how it all worked, but never thought it would be worthwhile to check it out.

Has to be other people who are in similar situations and feel they are alone in it.

2. WanderingMind

You are not too old to pursue your passion. If you'd said gymnast, I'd say you missed the window of opportunity. Writers can start at any age. Learn. Learn more. Write. Write more. Connect with other writers. Keep learning, writing, connecting... yours is not an unreachable goal.

#2 WanderingMind, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's never too late. Seriously. Yes, some people know all their lives what they want to do, but they are definitely in the minority. Most people take time to figure out what it is they want to do, and that's part of the experience of life. Human beings are dynamic and always changing, and its perfectly okay to find your passion later in life, or even find a new passion throughout life.

I think that some people repress their passions because they're hard to succeed at/it scares them to put themselves out there and try. But if you're open to change and all the unknown possibilities that life will offer you, it will be easier to recognize a passion when it hits you.

To add, you only live once, so go for an opportunity when you can, regardless of the obstacles. It's a cheesy and overused saying, but it really is true that the only things you ever really regret are the things you didn't do.

#3 Aerin, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're 24. I am more than twice your age, and no, I have no fears about this. It is *never* too late to pursue a passion. Life is long, and very, very strange. They say opportunity knocks once...but "they" lie about all kinds of things.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're 24!! You've got all the time in the world! Don't stress about it! In fact, I would say 24 is a perfectly normal time to discover what it is you want to do. You wanna write? Write. Remember: you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

6. thepandaboss

24 is way too young to say you're "too old". But you're certainly not going to be able to do what you love if you don't actually do it.